Using Android Tablet as Presentation Device

darethehair

Dec 3, 2011
Hello all! Yes, I have Googled a lot to find clear answers to my question, and it was time to register and post it formally :)

I currently use a tiny and cheap netbook, connected via external VGA port to a video projector, and use LibreOffice 'Impress' (sort of a PowerPoint clone) to occasionally run presentations. Since the netbook (and software) supports a 'dual-monitor' mode -- rather than just a 'clone display' mode -- I can view 'presenter notes' on my netbook monitor while showing the 'real' presentation on the video projector. Pretty basic stuff that we all understand.

OK, it is clear that Android tablets with an HDMI output can output a 'clone' display on an external HDMI device (TV, monitor, etc.) but I cannot find a clear answer for whether a 'dual/extended' display is also possible -- to mimic what I have on my netbook. Is this a hardware issue, dependent on the specific Android tablet's abilities? Or is it dependent on the version of Android installed? Or is this dependent on the 'presenter' software that is being used?

Thanks

exflygeek

Dec 16, 2011
I am in the same boat with darethehair. I would like to display the presentation notes on the tablet while displaying the slides thru the HDMI output.

Thanks

darethehair

Dec 3, 2011
I am in the same boat with darethehair. I would like to display the presentation notes on the tablet while displaying the slides thru the HDMI output.

Thanks

Actually, I am a bit surprised that no responses to my question have been offered yet. Beyond 'entertainment' value for tablets, I would have guessed that 'presentation' (e.g.'Powerpoint'-like) devices would have been a high priority with those striving for the 'portability'. Either no software yet offers the 'presenter notes' option, or Android itself (or the graphics chips used in tablets) doesn't support this -- and I am still curious to know what the scoop is :)