Velocity Micro Cruz

fbales

May 5, 2010
Has anyone heard when the Cruz will be available? Their web site just says August 2010. This could be a nice machine.

3dmotionapps

Jul 9, 2010
Yes, it looks like it could be the nicest android tablet to go retail in the US. I spoke with Fry's and they confirmed sometime mid-August as a availability date. I'm most interested in their capacitive touch screen tablet (Cruz Tablet) -- which looks like it will be coming out soon after the Cruz Reader.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
The specs tell me that it is very likely to be a Telechips TCC8902 variant, which is ARM11 and same as what's in the Augen Gentouch

You will be paying $50 more for a possibly working accelerometer and a better touch screen.

theman2

Aug 2, 2010
I just got an email from Velocity Cruz that their new tablets are available for pre-order.

Shipping dates are September 8th for the Reader (Velocity Micro™ - Cruz Reader : Cruz Products - Ultra Performance Computers for Gaming, Digital Imaging, and More) and September 27th for the tablet (Velocity Micro™ - Cruz Tablet : Cruz Products - Ultra Performance Computers for Gaming, Digital Imaging, and More).

The main differences between the two, as far as I can tell are that the reader has only 256 megs of Ram, 256 megs of internal storage, 802.11g and a resistive touchscreen while the tablet has 512 megs of ram, 4 gigs of internal storage, 802.11.n and a Capacitive touchscreen. There may also be a difference in processor speed but they don't list that on their specs.

Oh, and retail partners include Best buy, Costco, Frys, Newegg, Sears and others. Cruz - Retailers

This may be the first android tablet to hit reputable retail stores that is fully featured.

Pretty cool, huh?

aaoflaca

Aug 12, 2010
I received email from Velocity Micro, that their 7" Cruz Tablet is now available for Pre-Order
for late Sept shipping for $299.00

See link Cruz Tablet

If you’re looking for a tablet PC that’s packed with features but easy on the wallet, then look no further. Featuring a 7” capacitive touch screen, 4 GB of internal storage, and an 8GB bundled SD card, this is the ultra thin and portable tablet you’ve always dreamt of. Turns heads at home and on the go with the Cruz Tablet. Key features include:

Features:
• Crystal clear 16:9, 800x480 full color touch screen display – ultra responsive and great for video!
• Built in tilt activated accelerometer
• USB and SD card slot for upgradable storage, including an 8GB SD card
• Built-in Dictionary, Notepad, Calendar, Alarm Clock, Contacts, Games, and other useful apps
• Access to over 2 Million ebooks via included Borders E-book library portal application
• Extended life, user replaceable battery
• 802.11n Wifi and full browser support
• Access to the Cruz Market™

Specs:
• Full color TFT display
• 7” diagonal 16:9 800x480 screen
• Capacitive touch screen – ultra responsive!
• Android 2.1
• 512MB RAM
• 4GB internal storage
• 8GB bundled SD card
• Supports ePub, PDF, TXT, PDB, HTML reader files
• MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV audio support
• MPEG-4, H.264, H.263, MOV, AVI video support
• JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP image support
• 802.11n wifi
• Built in speakers
• Mic and headphone jacks
• Mini USB
• Li-Ion battery - up to 10+ hours of life, 24+ standby

Uses:
• Download and read over 2 Million ebooks in full color from the Borders book store
• Browse the web from any hotspot via the ultra fast 802.11n wifi
• Stay up to date with email and social networks, even while on the road
• Listen to your music collection on the go
• Download and watch full movies and other videos on a crystal clear 16:9 display – great for travel!
• Play games and install custom apps

aaoflaca

Aug 12, 2010
No details about the CPU , and it seems it will not come with Android Market, as they have "Access to the Cruz Market" list in the features

TabletConnect

Aug 4, 2010
What we have heard is only that it is an 800MHz processor but of course this means nothing. I am reaching out to the company to see if they can provide additional information on the processor specs. Will report what I find out.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
My guesses:

Cruz Reader) $100 VIA WM8505 priced to $199

Cruz Tablet) $200 ARM11 priced to $299

800MHz probably means Telechips TCC8902 or Samsung ARM11

End result?

Decent hardware being sold at ridiculous prices.

Thanks for the heads up though. We want to hop on this news when it actually ships so we can... evaluate it.

bottleb

Jul 14, 2010
My guesses:

Cruz Reader) $100 VIA WM8505 priced to $199

Cruz Tablet) $200 ARM11 priced to $299

800MHz probably means Telechips TCC8902 or Samsung ARM11

End result?

Decent hardware being sold at ridiculous prices.

Thanks for the heads up though. We want to hop on this news when it actually ships so we can... evaluate it.

Just when i thought we were getting THE tablet