Version 2 Device. Need ROM images.

Feb 8, 2011
I bought this piece of junk (Augen GenTouch 78). I now know that there are two different versions of this device. I have the second version (v2/2nd generation). I attempted to "update" my v2 device with v1 ROM images *unknowingly*. Now it wont boot up correctly. It gets all the way to the black/yellow penguin looking thing in the top left corner and hangs.

I can get into what the device calls "FASTBOOT" mode, and can connect to it using fastbook.exe on my PC just fine. I can even get a semi-functioning version of clockwork recovery on the device working. Which makes me think I haven't entirely bricked my device. However, it doesn't mount SD card successfully. Also wont backup/restore anything.

For me, I think it would be helpful to have a good listing of partitions and their corresponding images (MTDs) from a working v2 model. The only v2 images I found online simply don't work. Is there someone willing to copy their own stock working images and upload them somewhere for me?

Anyone else go through this? The "gentouch78patchv3-Lincs.zip" is what I downloaded and did. But I did not know it was for v1 only. The v2 files I found online were "gentouch78_2nd_gen_img.zip" and it had a system.img that was was "too large" for my device.

Thanks.

Last edited:

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
There is a system dump on XDA, but you might still need a kernel

Feb 8, 2011
There is a system dump on XDA, but you might still need a kernel

Thanks for your response.

The system dump on XDA is bad. It includes a system.img that's over 150mb (too big for the 2nd gen system). I think this is the one you're referring to...

[Official] Augen Gentouch78 Rooting and Development [Working Android Market!] - Page 161 - xda-developers

How do I know if I still need a Kernel? What will work/wont work on my device without one? Do you think, from what I've described, that I'm missing a Kernel?

Thanks again,
Steve

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
This post: xda-developers - View Single Post - [Official] Augen Gentouch78 Rooting and Development [Working Android Market!]

The ext2 is a little weird though. I am not sure how you can go about this. If you still have recovery working, you could try to mount /system from there, wipe it, and dump the tar contents into it to get your /system back. Then do a wipe data/cache to see what happens. But for the kernel and boot.img, I am not sure if you can get those back, assuming that those have been overwritten.

I am not familiar with your device to know if you even have clockwork recovery working. You are not alone on this problem though, but the best way to work through this is via XDA.

Good luck.

rwoodsmall

Mar 2, 2011
All:

New to the forum and to Android. I managed to pull data off of a second generation Gentouch78, create restore images and flash to another, "bricked" second generation device for restoration:

xda-developers - View Single Post - [Official] Augen Gentouch78 Rooting and Development [Working Android Market!]
xda-developers - View Single Post - [Official] Augen Gentouch78 Rooting and Development [Working Android Market!]

Images uploaded to multiupload for consumption:

Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

Will try to track here and at XDA. Haven't had time to look into getting nandroid/Clockwork/other apps working yet, but that's the plan. -r

Feb 8, 2011
Holy cow! This appears to work!

I HAD a bricked 2nd gen.

I ran this on it (with your images):

fastboot flash recovery
fastboot flash boot
fastboot flash system
fastboot -w
fastboot reboot

Dude! You rock!

I'll respond with more after I do more testing. But this looks liked it worked. I'm using the tablet right now, and everything seems normal. WOW!

All:

New to the forum and to Android. I managed to pull data off of a second generation Gentouch78, create restore images and flash to another, "bricked" second generation device for restoration:

Images uploaded to multiupload for consumption:

Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

Will try to track here and at XDA. Haven't had time to look into getting nandroid/Clockwork/other apps working yet, but that's the plan. -r

Feb 8, 2011
So far so good.

Somehow, I still don't have the correct SPLASH screen at boot up. It used to show the Augen logo when it first powers on. Now, it's simply a white screen. But eventually it shows the Black/yellow Penguin guy, and then to the Android guy screen, and eventually into the actual tablet.

Looks like the SUPERUSER icon is on here. Does that mean it's rooted?

Now, I'm back to trying to figure out how to get the actual Android Market on this device. Think it's possible?

Thanks A TON!
Steve

Feb 8, 2011
I was able to get the splash screen back by doing:

fastboot flash splash mtdblock4.img

the .img file I find online (probably an old XDA link).

rwoodsmall

Mar 2, 2011
Glad to hear it's working for you - or at least mostly working/working better! The system image I uploaded is rooted with z4root, and you should be able to get a root shell with the proper terminal emulator. I was working yesterday on getting Market, YouTube and the like pulled onto my device, but managed to get it into a state where the home button (physical and virtual) just dumped the dreaded "Unable to find ITelephony interface" to the logs, the SetupWizard app was flaking out and refusing screen taps, etc. I re-flashed back to the rooted stock image tonight, and will try to pick back up on a bit of this work next week. It helps to have two devices to play with, one relatively untouched.

Can't make any promises on anything, I'm still a newbie to the Android world despite Linux experience! Glad to help get you semi-unbricked!

Feb 8, 2011
Any luck on getting the real Market running on this device?

Glad to hear it's working for you - or at least mostly working/working better! The system image I uploaded is rooted with z4root, and you should be able to get a root shell with the proper terminal emulator. I was working yesterday on getting Market, YouTube and the like pulled onto my device, but managed to get it into a state where the home button (physical and virtual) just dumped the dreaded "Unable to find ITelephony interface" to the logs, the SetupWizard app was flaking out and refusing screen taps, etc. I re-flashed back to the rooted stock image tonight, and will try to pick back up on a bit of this work next week. It helps to have two devices to play with, one relatively untouched.

Can't make any promises on anything, I'm still a newbie to the Android world despite Linux experience! Glad to help get you semi-unbricked!

DrakkenZero

Dec 19, 2011
I hate to thread necromancy, but this is the only instance Google was able to find me of someone repairing one of these, so I figured I'd post my question here and maybe one of the people from 9 months ago will notice and could help...
I received one of these as a "gift" from a friend of mine who had accidentally bricked it and didn't feel like trying to resurrect it. It's a v2, the white button version, and after some questioning he confirmed he did the same thing you did. I saw in your post that you successfully were able to unbrick yours, but I'm a little lost as to the steps you took, since I haven't messed around with rooting and modding that much on these devices.

Since going off with only partial information is how it got quasi-bricked in the first place, I wanted to see if I could get more instructions before I tried it myself. Would you mind - and I understand if you don't - giving me a little more step-by-step for what you did? I've figured out how to access the "recovery" screen where I get some options, including the fastboot one, but I'm not sure where to go after that. Just a little more step-by-step and I can probably hammer through the process by myself, but I don't want to do more damage to the thing than already has been done.