Gentouch USB Host working with several devices

Aug 10, 2010
Hey guys, GScript is great for this, almost like making buttons... though I do have the application maker and could probably make a button....

I will try with some USB audio spec 1.1 using a TI usb to i2s converter. Those USB headsets use a slightly different spec.

cpg716

Jul 23, 2010
Not sure what you mean Tipstir. Apart from it coming up in German until set back to English this installation is virtually identical to what it was before (including all my previous apps remaining). Actually its a bit better in that it includes Calibration but does not axe the Google apps. Based on your sig line you do not seem adverse to installing non-Augen patches to your device to make the GT78 better.

But ok. As I mentioned, I might try to back up my system as it stands and isolate the differences around the files with one of Augen's installs. It might just be some fixup needed in the /etc directory to get the Augen stuff working without even replacing their drivers.

Corvus

Sorry, the Surfer install is not better. v3 of Augen update does not remove Google Apps btw. Also, the Surfer install doesnt have proper power management for the GT78, it lacks the software buttons in the notification bar, and still has some of the issues the older GT78 updates had (phone/3g notifications etc). The v3 update also has the better calibration app then the previous one, which is on the Surfer install.

CPG

KitsunePaws

Sep 2, 2010
On the nose buddy. Stick with Linc update for now guys. The surfer rom is nice for the novelty of using host mode, however it's not better than what we have. Also, to you guys that keep saying there's no cursor for the mouse, that's not a bug/problem. Try Android x86, Android is a phone OS, there is no cursor to be displayed to start with, that's not a bug that's how it works.

Sorry, the Surfer install is not better. v3 of Augen update does not remove Google Apps btw. Also, the Surfer install doesnt have proper power management for the GT78, it lacks the software buttons in the notification bar, and still has some of the issues the older GT78 updates had (phone/3g notifications etc). The v3 update also has the better calibration app then the previous one, which is on the Surfer install.

CPG

Corvus

Sep 2, 2010
Ok, I'm going to amend my previous statement that this particular hack was a bit better and qualify it with the following:

This post was made in regard to getting a particular feature functional on this device that I had spent some time and effort piecing together. I wanted to share with those that also found this to be useful and perhaps wanted to contribute to refining or enhancing it. As such this was one of the primary features for which I purchased the Gentouch and from other posts I believed others to feel the same way.

So if my hasty reaction to Tipstirs summary dismissal of the usefulness of my original post led anyone to believe this was intended to be a completely improved replacement of Augen's latest release for the G78 my apologies. For those who are not particularly interested in the USB host feature the Surfer install will NOT improve your experience with your GenTouch device.

That being humbly admitted, could we confine future discussion to those interested in experimenting with and improving the USB hosting capability of ALL particular installs of the device?

Thanks

Corvus

On the nose buddy. Stick with Linc update for now guys. The surfer rom is nice for the novelty of using host mode, however it's not better than what we have. Also, to you guys that keep saying there's no cursor for the mouse, that's not a bug/problem. Try Android x86, Android is a phone OS, there is no cursor to be displayed to start with, that's not a bug that's how it works.

braveit1

Jul 29, 2010
Corvus, Have you tried any memory card readers? I would really like to use an SDHC card reader so I can view my camera's sd card on the Gentouch while shooting. When I bought my unit the first day it was released I really wanted the USB host mode for this feature. Sometimes my 3" LCD screen on the camera is not big enough. Otherwise I'm going to have to configure ad-hoc wifi with an eye-fi card link.

Corvus

Sep 2, 2010
I have not braveit. I actually don't have one at the moment.

If a full memory card reader doesn't work you could try one of those SD card adapters that turn it into a USB stick (it seems several types have worked so far). You could also try powering it externally with a USB Y Power cable adapter. I understand some devices cannot get enough from the USB port alone.

Corvus

Corvus, Have you tried any memory card readers? I would really like to use an SDHC card reader so I can view my camera's sd card on the Gentouch while shooting. When I bought my unit the first day it was released I really wanted the USB host mode for this feature. Sometimes my 3" LCD screen on the camera is not big enough. Otherwise I'm going to have to configure ad-hoc wifi with an eye-fi card link.

sifon187

Aug 22, 2010
I tried a cheapo multiple port Memory Card reader and it would not mount. I better brand my fair a better chance.

Amtek

Sep 1, 2010
I havent seen anyone else mention it. But there is an August 30th patch on the Smartbook Surfer website that now includes volume buttons just like the latest Augen update. It also removes all google apps and they also have a download for an alternate market place much like the Augen's AndApp store.

The volume buttons are slightly different in appearance but overall seem to be following Augen's every step.

Surfer update 1.3 Aug 30th

http://smartbook.de/Content/service.aspx for main support page.

Last edited:

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Interesting, now if the P-Rooted Author can Root that the Smartbook Surfer ROM to work I would use my ScanDisk MicroMate (SDHC/microSDHC W/R) on GT78

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
I havent seen anyone else mention it. But there is an August 30th patch on the Smartbook Surfer website that now includes volume buttons just like the latest Augen update. It also removes all google apps and they also have a download for an alternate market place much like the Augen's AndApp store.

The volume buttons are slightly different in appearance but overall seem to be following Augen's every step.

Surfer update 1.3 Aug 30th

Service for main support page.

Download SURFER Google Android 1.2 OS UPDATE SB 3.1 08/30/2010
They have the numbers backwards. 2.1 / 1.3

Can you post what your main desktop looks like after applying this OS 1.3 update.

CALBOLT

Dec 21, 2010
Any one know if Augen Gentouch78v2 needs "tweaking" to use USB?
If so, is there a way other then the German install?
It would be nice use some camera apps.
Maybe attach a USB game controller.

Just got my hands on it, and USB works ASIS.
Attached a Gigabyte (gm-m6800) mouse, Pointer appeared seems to work.

Last edited:

bmszabo

Aug 12, 2010
What kind of wire do You use in USB connection with the GT? I have an USB keyboard, with miniUSB connection.
As I cannot find miniUSB-miniUSB wires: can I connect it to my GT with a miniUSB-USB -> USBfemale-USBfemale connector -> USB-miniUSB combo wire? Thanks for help!