Welcome to the Novo7 Forum!

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 16, 2011

Welcome to the Novo7 Forum! The first Ice Cream Sandwich Tablet!

The Novo7, a 7-inch tablet available in China that runs Ice Cream Sandwich, is set to arrive in the United States in the coming months with an expected price of $99.
The game-changing tablet could shake up the market just like the Kindle Fire did with its debut in November. The Novo7 doesn’t skimp on specs and cut corners at every turn. It has a MIPS XBurst 1GHz CPU and includes front and rear cameras, 3D capability, 1080p video decoding and an HDMI port, not to mention up to 8 hours of battery life while watching video. It also features a multitouch-capable touchscreen and the latest version of Android, where other inexpensive tablets have been known to run older versions.

Currently offered in China from Ainol Electronics, the tablet is expected to be available in North America from brand names including Leader International and OMG Electronics.
Another indication of the Novo7's seriousness is the fact that it has been certified by Google. In fact, the Novo7 is tantamount to Google and MIPS firing a shot across the bow of their respective competitors, most specifically Amazon and ARM.

It's possible to get a Novo7 from Asia right now for about $50 in shipping costs, provided you can find a site that isn't sold out of them.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 16, 2011
Originally posted by dgstorm:

First ICS Android Tablet - MIPS Based, and Sub-$100 Price Point NOVO7 - Press Release

MIPS Technologies and Ingenic Semiconductor Announce Availability of World’s First Android™ ‘Ice Cream Sandwich’ Tablet

1GHz, Low-Power Tablet Sets New Market Standard at Sub-$100 Price Point

SUNNYVALE, Calif. - December 5, 2011 - MIPS Technologies, Inc. (NASDAQ: MIPS), a leading provider of industry-standard processor architectures and cores for digital home, networking and mobile applications, and Ingenic Semiconductor, a leading China-based CPU provider for mobile multimedia applications, today announced worldwide availability of the world's first tablet based on Android TM 4.0, known as 'Ice Cream Sandwich', that is retailing for less than $100 (U.S). The tablet is powered by Ingenic's JZ4770 mobile applications processor, which leverages a MIPS-BasedTM XBurstTM CPU running at 1GHz.

According to Andy Rubin, senior vice president of mobile at Google, "I'm thrilled to see the entrance of MIPS-Based Android 4.0 tablets into the market. Low cost, high performance tablets are a big win for mobile consumers and a strong illustration of how Android's openness drives innovation and competition for the benefit of consumers around the world."

The new Android 4.0 tablet is available in China and online through Ainol Electronics Co., Ltd. It will be available in the United States and other geographies within the next several months under brands from companies including Leader International Inc. and OMG Electronics Ltd.

The new tablet is available with a 7" capacitive multi-touch screen. 8" and 9" form factors will be available soon. All versions include support for WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, USB 2.0, HDMI 1.3 and microSD, as well as 3D graphics with the Vivante GC860 GPU, 1080p video decoding and dual front/rear cameras. The XBurst processor's power-efficient architecture provides extended battery life-the 7" tablet draws less than 400mA during active web browsing.

"We are pleased to join with MIPS to announce these breakthrough high-performance, low-power, low-cost Android 4.0 tablets. Combining the elegance of the MIPS architecture and Ingenic's innovation in processor design, we are bringing a new level of processor technology to mobile devices. As we continue to collaborate with MIPS to broaden the mobile ecosystem around the legendary MIPS architecture, we anticipate even broader proliferation of our devices worldwide. We believe the mobile world will be more versatile and colorful with another processor joining in," said Qiang Liu, chairman and CEO, Ingenic Semiconductor.

"The openness of Android is enabling a new level of connectedness and interaction between devices and between people across the globe. We are excited to be a part of the Android ecosystem delivering on that vision. We applaud Ingenic's accomplishment in developing this new high-performance, feature-rich Android 4.0 tablet, and offering it at a price point that makes it widely accessible. We look forward to teaming with Ingenic as it continues to develop MIPS-Based mobile innovations," said Sandeep Vij, president and CEO, MIPS Technologies.

Ingenic JZ4770 SoC

The Ingenic JZ4770 SoC inside of the new tablet is one of the first MIPS-Based systems-on-chips (SoCs) targeted for mobile devices that delivers 1GHz+ frequency, increasingly a requirement for tablets and other devices that incorporate rich multimedia and high-performance applications/functionality. The JZ4770 SoC is powered by a MIPS32 compatible XBurst CPU designed by Ingenic. The XBurst CPU core adopts an innovative ultra-low-power pipelining architecture which consumes less than 90mW in 1GHz (with L1 cache), and the entire SOC consumes ~250mW with the CPU and video engine operating under full load. In addition to the XBurst CPU, the JZ4770 SoC integrates an optimized 1080p video processing engine, OpenGL ES 2.0 3D graphics processing unit from Vivante Corp. and numerous on-chip analog and application blocks such as audio codecs and GPS.

Pricing and Availability

Ingenic's JZ4770 SoC for Android 4.0 tablets is available now. The new Android 4.0 tablet is available in China and online through Ainol Electronics Co., Ltd. at Ainovo novo7. The 7" tablet retails for less than $100 (U.S.) non-subsidized. The tablet will be available in other geographies within the next several months. For more information, visit http://en.ingenic.cn/.

About Ingenic

Ingenic Semiconductor was founded in Beijing in 2005 to develop innovative processor technology. Based on the MIPS architecture, Ingenic designs its own CPU core called XBurst. The XBurst CPU adopts an innovative micro-architecture which consumes very little power under high performance. Powered by the XBurst CPU, the company's JZ47xx series application processors are widely deployed in embedded devices and consumer electronic products including PMPs, educational electronic devices, eBooks, biometrics and more, with more than 30 million units shipped to-date. For more information, visit http://www.ingenic.cn/.

About MIPS Technologies, Inc.

MIPS Technologies, Inc. (NASDAQ: MIPS) is a leading provider of industry-standard processor architectures and cores for digital home, networking and mobile applications. The MIPS architecture powers some of the world's most popular products, including broadband devices from Linksys, DTVs and digital consumer devices from Sony, DVD recordable devices from Pioneer, digital set-top boxes from Motorola, network routers from Cisco, 32-bit microcontrollers from Microchip Technology and laser printers from Hewlett-Packard. Founded in 1998, MIPS Technologies is headquartered in Sunnyvale, California, with offices worldwide. For more information, contact (408) 530-5000 or visit MIPS Technologies Home.

Follow MIPS on Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, RSS and Twitter.

MIPS, MIPS32 and MIPS-Based are trademarks or registered trademarks in the United States and other countries of MIPS Technologies, Inc. All other trademarks referred to herein are the property of their respective owners. Android is a trademark of Google Inc.

dandroid

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 15, 2009
If they could release this tablet for sub $200 in the states, it would sell like hotcakes!

dazoe

Nov 26, 2011
Android-sale.com has them listed at $99 with $30 shipping. Says 7-15 days for shipping. I ordered one and will let everyone here know when I get it

Sent from my DROID3 using Android Tablet Forum

thewipe

Dec 15, 2011
I got one few weeks ago very affordable and Im happy about it :) . I got it for 1,050 HK $ in a local Hong Kong shop.

Ainol-Novo7-Advance_lr.jpg

dazoe

Nov 26, 2011
I got one few weeks ago very affordable and Im happy about it :) . I got it for 1,050 HK $ in a local Hong Kong shop.

Ainol-Novo7-Advance_lr.jpg

I thought it was suposed to have 4.0 on it... or at least get an update to 4.0. That looks like the 2.x lock screen.

dazoe

Nov 26, 2011
Yeah, just got it today. DHL tracking said it went to japan instead of the us. But i guess it got here some how. Havent had much time to test/play with it much. Google talk is not working. Screen resolution is not that great. Ocasional lag when typing in the browser. Im downloading a leaked update to 4.0 to mess with that. Probaly wont update right away, need to get my barrings first. There are a lot of preloaded chinese apps. So far I think it is worth the $130 i spent on it. MUCH better than my sytab10st (same cost)

Edit: one corner keeps popping if i push on it. Sounds like dubble sided tape not staying stuck.
Sent from my Novo7Basic using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:

Sir_Cusfreak

Nov 29, 2011
I bought my daughter a cheap $100 China tablet for xmas. It's been awful - the Market wasn't the US version, the 3G would never stop scanning for network (there was supposed to be a firmware update to fix that, but there's not yet) which leaves the battery working for maybe 1/2hr before it has to be plugged back in, etc. There's a great custom ROM being developed for it right now, but in the meantime she has a piece of junk. Once it's done the thing would probably be ok, but now that there's this, I'd rather get it.

I'd like to send it back and get this one, but I wonder

1. does it play Flash? I saw one site that said it does, and another that said it doesn't.
2. If I buy one from China today, can it get the US official Android market? The one I have is China's official app market, (tried changing locations and keyboards, etc, but no dice) and will not DL apps. I had to side-load some and get the rest from Amazon app store. Can this one be switched over?

Thanks in advance for any info.

dazoe

Nov 26, 2011
The site I ordered from said it would ship with android 4.0 but it came with 3.2.
Flash came preloaded.
It has 3 or 4 markets on it. One of which is the real market.
Battery life seems decent. When I opened the box it was 80% and I was using it for about 3 hrs and it dropped to 40%.
It has a little trouble booting up so far 2 out of 6 reboots froze and I had to use the reset button. But after it starts up I haven't had any problems with it besides the google talk app wont start up.

Sir_Cusfreak

Nov 29, 2011
Hmmm...texting with Google talk is one of the things she does most with the one she has now.

I may go for it anyway and start searching for a fix during shipping time...hard to decide.

Anyway,
Thanks for the info! Much appreciated!