What to do First

mattls

Dec 21, 2010
When I get my Archos 70 interent tablet on Christmas what are the first things that I should do on it?:confused:

tae254

Dec 20, 2010
Turn it on.. Just kidding

The first thing i would do is root it using either UniversalAndroot or z4root.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
OK, first choice, Are you going to update to latest firmware? If yes, Root and then back up core apps using an app like Titanium Backup. Because, Once you update to 2.0.71 you cannot root using the z4root. You will be able to install Google apps later. But you will not be able to sustain root on 2.0.71. Thus far, there is no root on the latest firmware. But, your 70 will come with 2.1 and you will want 2.2
Soooo, Do what you will. But your update to the latest FW will remove any Root.

mattls

Dec 21, 2010
Also I am kind of new to this so what is "rooting" and all of that stuff?

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
You can install Market without any issues. It is really very simple just search and you will find better instructions than I could provide. Rooting is to allow installation of some special applications and remove applications which may or may not be needed. I have not worried too much about root. Do a google on market archos 70 install. There are two different installs One for 2.1 the other for 2.2

tobassam

Dec 23, 2010
If you get an Eclair version of Android on your tablet - which you probably will - you can upgrade to Froyo for:
a-running apps from internal memory (edit: buggy from reports)
b-Flash (use Droid X version available here)
c-better performance and memory management.
You will lose some power saving features such as auto-brightness and deep-sleep in Froyo, and you're advised to shut off wifi if using sleep mode at night for that reason (edit: seems USB host and microSD have stopped working too).

Fully understandable at this point why some would chose to skip the firmware update.

Other than firmware updates, the apps you install will depend on what you need from your tablet. There are document, ebook, comics, RSS, and PDF readers as well as games and other apps. The multimedia player from Archos is optimized for the hardware and gives best performance while also supporting a wide range of formats.

To install any applications from the "App Market", you'll need to download and install a "market" apk file first, one supporting Eclair or Froyo depending on your firmware. There are dedicated topics in this forum for doing this. The other option would be to "sideload".

Wish I could help you more, but I'm still waiting for my 101.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
You will lose some power saving features such as auto-brightness and deep-sleep in Froyo, and you're advised to shut off wifi if using sleep mode at night for that reason (edit: seems USB host and microSD have stopped working too).

USB Host and MicroSD do work on most units post update. but there are some which have an issue. This requires an RMA. There are also some which have Battery issues.
Deep Sleep works but not as good as in the 2.1 install.