Where and How do I start EVERYTHING?!

Grimism

Dec 12, 2010
I just got my gentouch78, its the newer version of the tablet. I want to make a nandroad back up but I dont even know how do to this. I am new to the whole droid/tablet scene. Can someone explain how I this. From there how do I change the firmware for my version? I keep reading that the firmware for the older version of gentouch 78 does not work with the newer one. Is this correct? If so what do do? Are there any stable firmwares to use? I simple want to make this to run a little smoother, not as laggy, I want for my apps to stop crashing. Almost all of the stock apps crashed a few times... One of the more important things I want a real market not that joke that comes pre-installed. So are there and firmware builds I can use to make my overall Gentouch experience a lot better?! Thanks!

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
First you need to root it and install clockwork recovery and then from there you can make a nandroid back up super easy. And there are market fixes for the gentouch just look around

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
I just got my gentouch78, its the newer version of the tablet. I want to make a nandroad back up but I dont even know how do to this. I am new to the whole droid/tablet scene. Can someone explain how I this. From there how do I change the firmware for my version? I keep reading that the firmware for the older version of gentouch 78 does not work with the newer one. Is this correct? If so what do do? Are there any stable firmwares to use? I simple want to make this to run a little smoother, not as laggy, I want for my apps to stop crashing. Almost all of the stock apps crashed a few times... One of the more important things I want a real market not that joke that comes pre-installed. So are there and firmware builds I can use to make my overall Gentouch experience a lot better?! Thanks!

Unfortunately the firmware update does not work on the new Gentouch78's. I've heard it could brick it. I tried to update myself, and luckily... nothing bad happened. There is suppose to be a firmware released soon, but not official word yet.

The stock App market is horrible... for right now... I suggest SlideME ( SlideME | Android Community and Application Marketplace ). You can download their APK (SlideME Marketplace | SlideME) and use their app to download directly to your tablet. They currently have 3,159 apps.. sure not the MarketPlace.. but it's better than the few hundred AndAppStore has:

SlidME
Fun & Games 837
Utilities 473
Entertainment 338
Educational / Reference 236
Productivity 217
Lifestyle 216
Communications 185
Travel 165
Music 135
Health & Fitness 103
Other 79
Location & Maps 45
Social Responsibility 43
Home & Hobby 29
Developer / Programmer 17
Enterprise 6
Collaboration 5

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Another resource for the Gentouch (although it is more for the older one in terms of downloads) is the Augen Wiki. http://augendev.wikispaces.com/

Lots of good base knowledge, and a great ADB tutorial that is applicable to your device.

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
That is a great resource for the older Gentouch's, I just wish it would work the newer ones :(

cool1100

Dec 7, 2010
Also try Googling Appslib and install that APK. It is where I got the Nook app and several others. I think this the Archos market.

spinach.chin

Dec 9, 2010
Also try Googling Appslib and install that APK. It is where I got the Nook app and several others. I think this the Archos market.

When I tried to run appslib, I got a message saying that it was incompatible with my device. How did you get it to work?

Grimism

Dec 12, 2010
Feverhost, SlideME seems like a decent market. Only problem is don't you need to root the device in order for this to work? So is there anyway I can currently make my tablet more stable, no currently working firmware for 2nd edition? Even most of my system config apps are crashing very often and its pretty frustrating.

mgr52

Nov 11, 2010
you do need to root the device but you could try z4root. It is supposed to be a 1 click root app.

Grimism

Dec 12, 2010
Rooted it with z4, slideme still didn't work. Crashes as soon as I start it.

I see in z4 super user there is a section that would supposedly show your apps? Possibly the ones you need to root in order for them to work first. Well I don't see slideme in that super user app area. Am I suppose to get it in there first before it works? Because I can't find no way to do so.

Last edited:

spinach.chin

Dec 9, 2010
FWIW, I also have a v2 Gentouch, and I can run slideme without root. Not sure why it won't work on your unit. 1Mobile Market seems to be a better alternative marketplace. It has more available apps, at any rate.

Sorry I can't be more help :(