Which Antivirus is good for Acer A500 ?

Which Anti-Virus is Good for Android

• Total voters

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
There are a couple of malware items out there, but usually only an issue if you are sideloading a ton of apps. Even so, you may want to look at either the Norton AV tool (Norton Mobile) or Lookout. Norton is a more comprensive solution, but some users have issues with their browsers after installing it. Lookout is nice, basic, and does a good job. It includes a device tracker function which is also nice if you lose it.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
No, not Norton!!!

Do not put norton on ANY computer, EVER. That software does more damage to your
computer than any virus. DO NOT EVER INSTALL THIS CRAPWARE!!!

There are no viruses for Android.

There are malware packages, but not in the Android market. And to date, NONE of the
anti-malware packages have EVER published a single instance of their software ever
detecting malware from the market.

Only from dodgy Chinese web sites, and even those slip by the malware scanners most
of the time. Just buy from the Market or from Amazon and you will be fine.

On my phone I run Lookout, but mostly just to find it if I lose it.

Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt are what Norton relies on to make their money.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
If you'd feel more comfortable having an AV program, I'd get AVG. It's free and I haven't noticed any kind of performance hit on my system from it. I'm also using Lookout.

Also, I totally agree with Icebike with regard to Norton.

Last edited:

Humantelope

May 2, 2011
No malware in the android market? Think again...

More malware in the Android Market: Google removes 26 deleterious app doppelgangers -- Engadget

I do agree that the current scanners are not doing a good job detecting malware either... just watch what you install and be aware if an app is asking for rights that it shouldn't need.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

i was actually going to quote that same article so thanks for posting that. anyone who believes theres NO malware in the android market is just plain wrong. You can publish anything you want on the market, however once word spreads that its malware or google notices it then they pull it, however anyone that already downloaded it may already be damaged / stole from (information farming go!).

lookout is what i recommend, and because norton anti-virus on your computer is junk doesn't mean their android software is garbage either. open your mind before you open your reply box kiddos

2wheelsagain

May 29, 2011
i was actually going to quote that same article so thanks for posting that. anyone who believes theres NO malware in the android market is just plain wrong. You can publish anything you want on the market, however once word spreads that its malware or google notices it then they pull it, however anyone that already downloaded it may already be damaged / stole from (information farming go!).

lookout is what i recommend, and because norton anti-virus on your computer is junk doesn't mean their android software is garbage either. open your mind before you open your reply box kiddos
There is nothing wrong with Norton NIS on the PC. I've been using it for years and it gets better and better. What do you say is wrong with it? Off topic i know ;)

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
There is nothing wrong with Norton NIS on the PC. I've been using it for years and it gets better and better. What do you say is wrong with it? Off topic i know ;)

What's wrong with it is the huge performance penalty it imposes and the total trashing it does to the registry, and the fact that it misses a significant amount of infections that appear on web pages. It's detection rate is pretty miserable at best. Some of the most horribly messed up machines i've ever run into had Norton installed. And it's Norton fault.

But it makes something like 2000 registry additions and when you uninstall it doesn't remove them all.
Un install it and get AVG, and see how much faster your machine can be.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
No malware in the android market? Think again...

More malware in the Android Market: Google removes 26 deleterious app doppelgangers -- Engadget

I do agree that the current scanners are not doing a good job detecting malware either... just watch what you install and be aware if an app is asking for rights that it shouldn't need. m

So you just posted proof that there is no malware in the market because google removes it. Thanks for proving my point.

But more to the point NONE OF THE AV PRODUCTS DETECTED THESE MALWARES. NONE!

2wheelsagain

May 29, 2011
What's wrong with it is the huge performance penalty it imposes and the total trashing it does to the registry, and the fact that it misses a significant amount of infections that appear on web pages. It's detection rate is pretty miserable at best. Some of the most horribly messed up machines i've ever run into had Norton installed. And it's Norton fault.

But it makes something like 2000 registry additions and when you uninstall it doesn't remove them all.
Un install it and get AVG, and see how much faster your machine can be.
It appears we'll never agree on much. Such is life. Carry on :)

wolfganggold

May 11, 2011
A vote for Norton sucks...Great antivirus software for your PC is FREE! My personal favorite is Antivir which is lightweight, actually detects things, is updated daily and doesn't cost a dime!

I've said for years that the best way to have problems with your internet connection is to install Norton Internet Security. crap crap CRAP! Same goes for McAfee.

Scoobynut

May 30, 2011
Another vote for AVG, use it on the PC, on the phone and have installed it on the tablet.
Used to have Norton but found it bogged everything down.AVG is free, you can download it from the market as well.

Even our IT guys at work use AVG and sorted out some virus' that appeared on the work network which is allegedly secure.

Last edited:

zcostilla

May 13, 2011
So you just posted proof that there is no malware in the market because google removes it. Thanks for proving my point.

But more to the point NONE OF THE AV PRODUCTS DETECTED THESE MALWARES. NONE!

couldn't disagree more.. Google only removes the malware it catches. for every one that gets caught, two more come into the market as it grows and expands, not to mention third-party apps that are added outside the market, whichnever see google oversight.

And facebook ganges and apps are one of the worst places to pick up trojans. these things have keyloggers, theability to spy on you through your microphone and camera, and read your data INCLUDING SAVED PASSWORDS!

Macafee is one of the worst at detection. Norton works great, but It is bloated because it is designed for protectIon management of an nterprIse network. I use AVG on my home PCs.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Well Jeff,
It looks as though Lookout and AVG have the lead as far as recommendations go. Why don't you post again and tell us what you decided to do before someone gets hurt. :) Bet you didn't know how passionate people were about their AV products till now.