Which Phone Networks work with the S7

Music

Feb 5, 2011
OK, so the Huawei S7 is supposed to be a phone & computer. I've got it working as a computer, and I can get a really really cheap phone plan through Google to use it as an IP phone. But what if I wanted to use it over the regular phone networks? I probably just need to slip a SIM card in the slot.

So which networks offer service that will make my S7 work as a wireless phone?

OTOH, it looks a little odd holding a tablet to your ear, do you think a phone app with a picture of a phone handset or a cell phone face would make it better? :p ;)

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
For phone services, i just always use my BT.

As far as carriers, it is both GSM and wCDMA, so in the US you are looking at T-Mobile and AT&T for the major carriers, although you can also look at a lot of the prepaid cards for this

Jan 26, 2011
There are a couple of other threads, but to save you some searching here are the details in a nutshell. The S7 works very well as a phone on T-Mobile's network. Just insert your SIM card and you can talk away. The S7's antenna is much better than my Samsung Memoir's antenna, so reception is very good. My bluetooth headset synched right up to the S7, so you can carry the S7 in a bad (or whatever) and talk using your headset.

If you have a smartphone with a voice and data plan things get interesting. Initially your S7 will work for both voice and data (e-mail, web surfing). After 1-2 hours the data will stop working. T-Mobile's network reads the S7's EMEI (acronym wrong here, sorry) and types it as a non-supported tablet and implements a network restriction that allows only voice if your SIM card has voice (voice only or voice and data = voice only). If you insert a data plan SIM card, then your S7 will work as a connected Internet device, although it only works on the Edge network, not 3G or higher speeds.

Several peopole have gone up the command chain at T-Mobile, but no one will make a decision to allow the S7 to work as a voice AND data device.

Final note: with a voice SIM card inserted, Wi-Fi still works great. So the only thing you can't do is use T-Mobile as a data netwrok when you are out of Wi-Fi range. I may end up getting a smartphone and activate a data plan with WiFi tethering (extra cost), or I may just say the heck with it and use my S7 as a Wi-Fi device with benefits.

I am not stating my opinions about T-Mobile's upper management, marketing or engineering personnel.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
Thanks for the replies.

I tried my Tracfone's Sim card into my S7, but nothing magical happened. In fact, it still said that no SIM card was present. Tracfones have voice and "data," but not like a smartphone does. I'm not in the habit of using data when I'm not at a house or hotel, so I can live with no WiFi. So I think I will wait until phone data plans are free or Obama gives that away too. :D

Music

Feb 5, 2011
One think I almost forgot to mention....

Even though the S7 doesn't have regular phone service without a phone service contract or data plan, I think it should still be able to make emergency calls, like 911, if nothing else. I'm not going to try it, but was wondering if anyone knows if it can be done. I know even my Tracfone will call 911, even if you have zero minutes left on your account.

If you're out there somewhere, and your best friend or S.O. needs emergency (medical) help, you wouldn't care if the call was made on an old-fashioned crank phone, a rotary-dial phone, a cell phone, or your trusty Huawei S7. As long as the call is made. And I'm sure that you'd want someone to do it for you.

Last edited:

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
It would be too bad in an emergency like that and the only device you had was a Nook without any GSM access. Just a thought :p

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
It would be too bad in an emergency like that and the only device you had was a Nook without any GSM access. Just a thought :p

Nice! But at least you could admire the beautiful screen as you are drifting away...

Music

Feb 5, 2011
I think AAA has an Android app like the IPhone one that helps you record details of an accident/collision/emergency, as well as call and pass on coordinates to a tow truck and play a game while you wait. There's an app that sends you coordinates to a cab company too.

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
Whatever app or service you are referering to, it's all useless without an in service SIM in the device. The phone side of any cell phone calls through the SIM otherwise they are dumb. Your SIM should be recognised, are you in flight mode?

rudydh

Dec 20, 2010
If you place any sim into the Huawei you will be able to make 911 calls, even if it is not a paid account. This is a feature that the phone companies are required to provide. The only thing to keep in mind is that they will not know where you are and I dont know if the GPS feature works for this situation.

As for using a TracPhone sim which runs off the Tmobile network it will not work as it is restricted to the phone as are ATT prepaid cards. ATT does let you get a free unlocked prepaid sim at any of their stores.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
I might just try that for some fun. Getting an unlocked AT&T SIM from an AT&T store sounds like getting a modified Mustang from Ford....

Music

Feb 5, 2011
I don't think I would go for that. Giving out your IMEI is like giving your car keys to a stranger.

I tried dialing #06# and nothing happened (but an error message, "Not registered on network.") Besides, your IMEI is on the back under the cover, by the camera lens.

Is the S7 really locked into Sprint? Does Sprint sell unlocked prepaid SIM cards? I doubt I'd need a phone overseas (central Europe). They all have cell phones too!

Last edited:

Music

Feb 5, 2011
Is there a special way to install the SIM card? I turned it off, removed te battery,then slid the car in, battery in, then power on.
The phone icon said No SIM card.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
I chatted online with a Geek Squad guy at Best Buy,and he told methat the huawei S7 should go with the T-Mobile or AT&T service. He was confused why I didn't want a data plan, but that's my decision. Further, Walmart has T-Mobile prepaid cards, but I don't know where you'd get a SIM card from.I'l look up an AT&T store near me sometime, and report back what happens.