Who's stoked about the Acer Iconia A500 Tablet?

ithink2020

Apr 18, 2011
WiFi is working great at home. No issues that I have seen. I will say it works much better than my Droid 2. Half of the time I do not connect to my WiFi with the droid due to so many issues. Haven't seen any with the a500!!!!

Totally gald and happy about the purchase! Now just need to find a good protective case...

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
WiFi is working great at home. No issues that I have seen. I will say it works much better than my Droid 2. Half of the time I do not connect to my WiFi with the droid due to so many issues. Haven't seen any with the a500!!!!

Totally gald and happy about the purchase! Now just need to find a good protective case...

This is all great news! I won't be concerned about the WiFi anymore. I found out mine will be delivered sometime Wednesday, can't wait!

ceramicsaturn

Mar 22, 2011
hey, im loving the A500! Everything is perfect.. seriously, all but one problem. Video.

I dont know what's going on, but I know for a fact the A500 plays MP4 video. No matter what program I use, even the one that came with the A500, it won't play. Any thoughts?

Otherwise, wow. I never thought typing on a touch pad could be as enjoyable as this! I'm glad I went from a 7 inch tablet to this. The extra screen space makes everything so much nicer to use. Apps run lighting quick, I can have tons of them open at once without a hick up, and tablet specific games like Vendetta and Angry Birds Rio, look fantastic. I'm liking the larger speakers in the back as well, though NFS Shift's sound sounds horrible on them (higher volumes, unlike anything else, has a lot of crackle). Wifi has been perfectm and overall I'm really happy with my purchase.

Last edited:

ithink2020

Apr 18, 2011
I finally got video to play. Converted a DVD using DVDdecryptter and handbreak. I chose the "normal" settings and the video is kind of jumpy. Not too bad but noticable. I quess I need to just play with the settings to see what works best.

vertigoesi

Jan 5, 2011
I didn't have any issues with playing MP4. I use high quality for movies and normal for episodes and everything looks good.
The camera ROCKS! The touch screen is great; so responsive and accurate.
CONS-
Windows does not see the MicroSD card that is in the a500 but i can see it there in A500. My goal was to be able to use the SD card without having to use a external reader. The only way to do this was to download an app that lets you navigate through the system files and copy and paste files from the a500 to the SD card.

Power adapter cord is too short. ;P

Where are the cases! i need a case BAD.

I also did notice a crackle or a pop from the speakers. This was when watching shows but not movies or music.

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
Ahhhhh... the sd card thing reminds me of my days with the g-tab. I think I was told that it's an operating system thing and would have to be fixed with a firmware update. Hopefully we'll get one. I'll do some further reading.
For those who have the Xoom, doesn't it do this also?
Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
I didn't have any issues with playing MP4. I use high quality for movies and normal for episodes and everything looks good.
The camera ROCKS! The touch screen is great; so responsive and accurate.
CONS-
Windows does not see the MicroSD card that is in the a500 but i can see it there in A500. My goal was to be able to use the SD card without having to use a external reader. The only way to do this was to download an app that lets you navigate through the system files and copy and paste files from the a500 to the SD card.

There is a usb driver download on the Acer website in the A500 Tablet Support section and I think it should allow your computer to see the SD card. Acer.com Worldwide - Select your local country or region - find the Tablet section.

frapshake

Apr 22, 2011
Ahhhhh... the sd card thing reminds me of my days with the g-tab. I think I was told that it's an operating system thing and would have to be fixed with a firmware update. Hopefully we'll get one. I'll do some further reading.
For those who have the Xoom, doesn't it do this also?

Hey Raven, see the answer I gave to Vertigoesi about the usb driver...today's the day you get your new toy! Let us know how much you love it.

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
I definitely will! It's out for delivery.
I downloaded that file last week without reading all the details. Guess I should do that... LOL

Garemlin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2010
@vertigeosi: Did you notice any popping and cracking out of the speakers when not playing anything?? I had that issue with my first Xoom. It would make random pops and cracks for no apparent reason.

Sent from my DROIDX

vertigoesi

Jan 5, 2011
Did not notice any pops when not playing.

I downloaded the USB driver from the website last night and had the same results. I can see the 12GB of hard drive space just not anything for the SD card.

Anyone have to turn up the brightness during videos to overcome light reflections? I wonder if we can set brightness for different situations instead of automatic or manual.

Last edited:

ithink2020

Apr 18, 2011
I'm really loving this thing!!! Using Wyse Pcoket Cloud Free (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.wyse.pocketcloudfree&feature=search_result) I was able to RDP into my PC at work while at a user's desk working on their PC. I was able to update the helpdesk ticket and pretty much everything I would need to do, I can do via RDP. Love it!!!

However, I will say that I ran into the WiFi range issue some and noticed. I was at the far corner off the building and internet starting being sporadic. However, I was well over 50-60 feet from the router. So no big concern there for me.

Thanks!

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
Did not notice any pops when not playing.

I downloaded the USB driver from the website last night and had the same results. I can see the 12GB of hard drive space just not anything for the SD card.

Anyone have to turn up the brightness during videos to overcome light reflections? I wonder if we can set brightness for different situations instead of automatic or manual.

You might want to try Quick Settings, from the Market. That way, you can adjust your brightness on the fly.

gabrielbcn

Apr 20, 2011
hey, im loving the A500! Everything is perfect.. seriously, all but one problem. Video.

I dont know what's going on, but I know for a fact the A500 plays MP4 video. No matter what program I use, even the one that came with the A500, it won't play. Any thoughts?

Otherwise, wow. I never thought typing on a touch pad could be as enjoyable as this! I'm glad I went from a 7 inch tablet to this. The extra screen space makes everything so much nicer to use. Apps run lighting quick, I can have tons of them open at once without a hick up, and tablet specific games like Vendetta and Angry Birds Rio, look fantastic. I'm liking the larger speakers in the back as well, though NFS Shift's sound sounds horrible on them (higher volumes, unlike anything else, has a lot of crackle). Wifi has been perfectm and overall I'm really happy with my purchase.

Have you tried rockplayer? Should work without conversion :)