Why I'm buying a Nook Color :)

robedney

Jan 27, 2011
Check me if I'm wrong:

I've researched what's available in Android-based tablets, all the way from the direct-from-Hong Hong variety to the Galaxy Tab. I don't want an Ipad, although it's a slick and nicely conceived device. I hate Apple's proprietary approach.

I hadn't even thought of the Nook Color as an option until finding this forum. After reading a bit about the device I stopped by a B&N store and played with one. Solid build, great capacitance-based screen, etc. Interface is a bit rough in places, but this is a new device.

I don't care about GPS or a built in camera. I have a Droid X in my pocket for that sort of thing. What I do care about is a nice clean reading experience, the ability to access the web from something other than my big laptop or my little Droid X and the ability to run Android apps.

The clincher is this: The price of the Nook Color is great, given it's features and build quality. I can only assume that B&N's pricing is based in part on the fact that if you buy a Nook your going to become a repeat customer buying books, magazines and eventually apps. In other words, the price (when compared to other devices) seems at least partly subsidized.

Then there's the brick and mortar presence of B&N. Part of what I do is systems support, and I absolutely hate most customer service telephone systems. The only really good one I've dealt with recently is Verizon Wireless (and I don't work for them). The idea that I can walk into a store and deal with a knowledgeable person at a Nook kiosk is very appealing to me. Without even looking I'm sure the Nook itself is built offshore, but at least the B&N stores are employing local folks and giving back something to the community.

Further, B&N is showing a major commitment to this device -- and that means that it's likely to get updates and increased functionality as time goes by.

I will definitely root the thing once I get it. I will then root my Droid X so that I can use it as a wi-fi/3G connection for the Nook. I love real bound paper books, but I live on a boat, and even though it's a really big one books take up a lot of space!

Does that sound right? And, I'm sure I'll be back soon, with questions and maybe even some answers! Oh yeah, those who are working on activating the bluetooth function, keep at it! I'd love to be able to use a small portable keyboard someday.

Robert

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Just a note. I haven't been able to tether my droid to my nook. Maybe someone else here has done it correctly. The NC is really a capable device though. You will enjoy it!

sent from my rooted nook color

Nate Rules

Jan 14, 2011
I had no problem using my Evo's internet on my Nook Color.Might be because Wireless Tether supports Infrastructure Mode on the Evo.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
I am sure there is a way to get it to work. I am prolly just using the wrong version of tether or something.

Sent from my Droid

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
My Evo tethers to the NC fine as well.

About the NC in general, I see it as a win win and I can honestly say, I really enjoy using and tweaking the Nookcolor. If you choose to buy one, root it and enjoy the perks of the customizable world of android, you will be rewarded. The development scene on this device is growing fast. Or on the other hand if you choose to buy and NC and use it un-rooted, B&N is showing great promise with monthly updates, where it seems they do listen and try to fix any and all problems with the device. The upcoming road map, if true, seem to be great for the little NC. Like I said in another post, it really comes down to how much are you willing to pay at this time, what size will you be comfortable with and what features are important to you.

[FIX] AdHoc Wifi support on the NC! - xda-developers

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Guys, the Evo broadcasts in infrastructure mode (standard wifi) but the Droid only does ad-hoc (device-to-device). So far the only workaround for Droid owners is the link Rico posted. The fix may be a bit wonky (especially waking up wifi after sleep), but maybe the latest firmware update will help with that issue?

-Matt

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
going to pick up my second NC this weekend for the wife- again through craigslist - was listed for $250, offered $180 and ended up $200 - still a bargain!

Terabyt3Bob

Jan 23, 2011
Hi Robert, I have several of the devices you've listed and the Nook once rooted is the device of choice for me. I don't think there are any substantial cons in having an NC as opposed to other devices that are higher priced, or cheaper quality.

I picked up a Nook at a BAM and liked the look / feel, but this forum was the catalyst for me to make the purchase.

Bob

mwhartman

Jan 28, 2011
My Evo tethers to the NC fine as well.

About the NC in general, I see it as a win win and I can honestly say, I really enjoy using and tweaking the Nookcolor. If you choose to buy one, root it and enjoy the perks of the customizable world of android, you will be rewarded. The development scene on this device is growing fast. Or on the other hand if you choose to buy and NC and use it un-rooted, B&N is showing great promise with monthly updates, where it seems they do listen and try to fix any and all problems with the device. The upcoming road map, if true, seem to be great for the little NC. Like I said in another post, it really comes down to how much are you willing to pay at this time, what size will you be comfortable with and what features are important to you.

[FIX] AdHoc Wifi support on the NC! - xda-developers

If I understand correctly, I can root a Nook then use my rooted Droid to tether (which I currently connect to my MacBookPro) and use my Droid apps as well. Is that correct? If so, it makes my decision on replacing my iPad easy and very cost effective. I had planned on replacing the iPad with a Xoom but the prerelease cost seems rather steep.

Mike

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
If I understand correctly, I can root a Nook then use my rooted Droid to tether (which I currently connect to my MacBookPro) and use my Droid apps as well. Is that correct? If so, it makes my decision on replacing my iPad easy and very cost effective. I had planned on replacing the iPad with a Xoom but the prerelease cost seems rather steep.

Mike

Whats up! I recognize you from over at droidforums. I haven't really tried in extent to get tethering to work yet from my rooted Droid to my rooted Nook Color, but it looks like it requires ADB.

Yes you can use all your droid apps on the rooted nook for the most part. We are mostly on 2.1 right now so no flash yet. There is a 2.2 rom though, and we are set to have more custom Roms like CM7 possibly soon. We have clockwork recovery and kernels. Once rooted you have all the google apps including market. Keep in mind though, no flash yet and there is no hdmi. Future development seems bright for this device, and some dev over at xda seem to be putting some effort in.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Whats up! I recognize you from over at droidforums. I haven't really tried in extent to get tethering to work yet from my rooted Droid to my rooted Nook Color, but it looks like it requires ADB.
I think for those who are ADB-averse all that you need to do is download the modified wifi supplicant file, and swap it for the original one. With Root Explorer it should be pretty easy!

I haven't tried it yet, but there is also a wifi version of ADB that let's you run the commands without hooking up USB (which seems to be a hassle to get working right).

-Matt

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
I think for those who are ADB-averse all that you need to do is download the modified wifi supplicant file, and swap it for the original one. With Root Explorer it should be pretty easy!

I haven't tried it yet, but there is also a wifi version of ADB that let's you run the commands without hooking up USB (which seems to be a hassle to get working right).

-Matt

Ok thanks Matt : ) I'll use root explorer. I should really learn adb one of these days too.

Sent from my Droid