Why Is A2109 So Sluggish?

gtd2000

Jan 16, 2012
I have to say that I've never been impressed with my A2109 at all. :mad:

The screen angles are horrendous and anything from surfing the web, to reading Facebook is a sluggish PIA!

I've done a couple of factory resets on the unit, which did help to some extent but the performance of the tablet is still terrible by comparison to other devices that supposedly have lesser specs.

I now mainly use the A2109 simply to watch videos as I find it too frustrating to do anything else with it.

Battery life is great and it's nicely built but that's not really what I was expecting out of it...

Can anybody recommend a decent ROM or solution to the sluggishness that this tablet exhibits?

I'm currently on stock 4.1.1, Kernel 3.1.10

One other weird thing I've noticed when I want to copy items from the tablet to the PC using a USB cable is that I have MULTIPLE listings of the folders - that is to say when I browse say my Video folder, there are something like 13 video folders shown in Windows Explorer - this does not show up on the tablet when using Astro but when it is hooked up to any PC I have numerous folders - only one of them is the correct folder as you cannot transfer anything from the ghost folders that are listed.

Last edited:

gtd2000

Jan 16, 2012
Lenovo A2109 Folders.jpg

PitCarver

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 9, 2014
Never had the multiple folder problem.

Use mine mine more for reading these days.

Biggest issue with mine seems to come with Chrome always crashing. As I said in another post, Lenovo should have better supported this tablet. If there was a simple way to upgrade the tablet, I'd definitely give it a try. All the instructions that folks talk about are more than I can understand.

Until then, I'll pull it out periodically, update the apps, use it for a couple of days, recharge it and put it back into storage.

MozartMan

Dec 4, 2012
I had problem with multiple folders few times. Reboot of the tablet fixed it both times.

gtd2000

Jan 16, 2012
Never had the multiple folder problem.

Use mine mine more for reading these days.

Biggest issue with mine seems to come with Chrome always crashing. As I said in another post, Lenovo should have better supported this tablet. If there was a simple way to upgrade the tablet, I'd definitely give it a try. All the instructions that folks talk about are more than I can understand.

Until then, I'll pull it out periodically, update the apps, use it for a couple of days, recharge it and put it back into storage.

I tend to just use the stock browser rather than Chrome to be honest, browsing can be pretty sluggish but I've not noticed any other browser performing better.

I really think it is a pig of a tablet if I'm honest - I'd laugh if anybody suggested paying the $165 that I did for it now! I'm not convinced I'd even pay $50 for a new one!

gtd2000

Jan 16, 2012
I had problem with multiple folders few times. Reboot of the tablet fixed it both times.

I just copied the contents of my external sd card to my PC with the intention of formatting the external sd card.

I then could not see how to format the external card while inside the tablet and I could not format the ext-sd while hooked up to the PC via usb. I then found some instructions that suggested you unmount the ext-sd then you can format it - that option is not available on my tablet.

Seems that since I've mounted and un-mounted a couple of time I now have the correct listing of the folders in my ext-sd...

Lenovo A2109 Folders ext-sd.jpg

No complaints there then but the tablet is still sluggish - I was hoping that the multilple listings might have had something to do with the problems.. ;)

gtd2000

Jan 16, 2012
Well I decided to do a factory reset once more and everything is now running as well as can be expected.

Last night was the catalyst, as I had to wait seconds after each keyboard stroke to see the text appear!

PitCarver

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 9, 2014
everything is now running as well as can be expected.
Once you've set up your tablet again, let us know how its performing. I've reset mine twice, in the last year, and really hate the process.

gtd2000

Jan 16, 2012
So far it seems to be working to expectations. I've actually bought myself a Lenovo S6000 to replace it with ($100 @ Office Depot). I'm overseas at the moment so don't have access to it yet.

I have a feeling the sluggishness will return at some point but for now I'm doing a minimal load of apps so that I don't have too much to reload....

PitCarver

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 9, 2014
While I periodically update the installed apps, on my 2109, I've finally resigned myself to using it as a game platform and a reader.
I hate that Lenovo had abandoned it because it was a promising device.

Tattmann

May 16, 2015
we own 3 of these tablets. I bought my wife one in mint condition last christmas to use as a book reader. Hers is flawless. I had the multiple folder problem on my daughters, and nothing but a rom change fixed hers. Mine, I use for gaming. Both mine and my daughters were getting really slow and sluggish. my daughters was extremely bad, but as I said, since the rom change hers is good now. Fairly snappy, but after a while she needs to reboot hers to get her speed back. Mine I am toying with to find a good rom to game with.