[HOW TO] Install ClockworkMod Recovery and Root

Linsalata28

Dec 24, 2012
When you make a backup, what is the blob ? How can you delete one backup? It seems most if not all the system data is in those files.

Linsalata28

Dec 24, 2012
I just saw a new modified version of cwm recovery called PhilZ. Its opened sourced for the most part and it says as long as you can build a cwm recovery you would be able to make one. Only the nontouch version is open source but he says if you make a working version he'll build a touch version.
Would you care to try and build one for us? I've been trying to learn how but still have much to learn. The recovery has lots of very useful features.
You can check it out here at xda if you want.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=39433458

mcl630

Dec 3, 2012
I've edited the first post with a new version of CWM recovery. This one will work with both the ICS and the JB bootloaders, so no more maintaining two versions. It should also be aware of the new structure of the internal sd card for JB 4.2.2, so it should be useful to those of you running Superhansi's CM10.1 or one of flashallthetime's 4.2.2 ROMs.

TDOGGG

Jul 23, 2013
please help all i get is can not load when i try an do the cwm?
In order to do this, you need to have your bootloader unlocked and fastboot working. If you haven't already see here:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...52434-howto-unlocking-bootloader-windows.html

Files to download:

Works with both ICS and JB: A2109_CWMrecovery-6.0.2.8a.img Dev-Host - A2109_CWMrecovery-6.0.2.8a.img - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service
MD5: e7501de26fe8a9fc453773f5710675fa

(Edit: the A2109_CWMrecovery-6.0.2.8a.img file goes on your PC, not the A2109)

If you need to root, also download: Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip http://downloads.noshufou.netdna-cdn.com/superuser/Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip
Copy Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip to your A2109. It can go on either the internal or external sd card (you can put it in a folder if you want).

Connect your tablet to your PC. On your PC, open a command prompt window (or terminal for Linux). Reboot into the bootloader by typing:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader

Once you're in bootloader/fastboot mode, flash ClockworkMod recovery with this command:

Windows:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery A2109_CWMrecovery-6.0.2.8a.img
Linux:
Code:
fastboot -i 0x17ef flash recovery A2109_CWMrecovery-6.0.2.8a.img

If it worked you should see something like this:
Code:
sending 'recovery' (6326KB)... OKAY [ 1.096s]
writing 'recovery'... OKAY [ 0.448s]
finished. total time: 1.545s

Now you need to reboot into recovery. At your command prompt (terminal), type:

For Windows:
Code:
fastboot reboot
For Linux:
Code:
fastboot -i 0x17ef reboot

Immediately start tapping Volume Up until the tablet's screen says "Booting Android Recovery".

If you didn't press Volume Up quickly enough, it will boot into Android and overwrite CWM recovery, so you'll have to go back to fastboot and reflash.

If you did it right, CWM recovery should start. In CWM recovery, you use Volume Up and Volume Down to move the highlight up and down, and the Power button to select options.

If you need to root:

1. Select 'install zip from sdcard'
  2. Then select 'choose zip from sdcard' or 'choose zip from external sdcard' depending on where you placed the Superuser zip file.
  3. Now navigate to your Superuser-3.1.3-signed-arm.zip and select it
  4. Choose 'Yes Install Superuser-3.1.3-signed-arm.zip'

Go back to the main menu and choose 'reboot system now' to restart android. You should now be rooted.

To test it out, when the A2109 finished booting, try this at the command prompt:
Code:
adb shell
su

If you've rooted successfully, the prompt should change from a $ to a # (meaning you have root access).
Type 'exit' twice at the command prompt to leave the adb shell.

If you are running the stock firmware, each time you boot into Android it will overwrite ClockworkMod recovery with the stock recovery. You can prevent this by renaming the recovery-from-boot.p file in your /system folder to something else. You can do this in ES File Explorer:

1. In ES File Explorer under Setting, choose 'Root Settings' and make sure that 'Root Explorer', 'Up to Root', and 'Mount File System' are all checked.
  2. Navigate to the /system folder
  3. Long press recovery-from-boot.p and choose Rename
  4. Rename it to something else, like recovery-from-boot.p.bak
  5. Go back to Settings -> Root Settings and uncheck 'Mount File System' to put the system partition back to read-only.

After renaming the recovery-from-boot.p file, you'll have to go back into fastboot and reflash ClockworkMod recovery one more time, but now it will "stick".

Let me know here if you have any questions or need anything clarified.

flashallthetime

Dec 28, 2012
it worked . ur my heroe
could you please share any custom rom for my device
any link or sticky one ? Thanks so much!

All the Roms are posted in the development section, you have 2 Roms based on the stock ROM ,cm10 ROM which can be found in the lenovo forums and a paranoid android and a few others, just realize the modified stock Roms work without any issues while the other Roms have minor bugs.

Sent on my Moto X

damianiw

Jun 30, 2013
All the Roms are posted in the development section, you have 2 Roms based on the stock ROM ,cm10 ROM which can be found in the lenovo forums and a paranoid android and a few others, just realize the modified stock Roms work without any issues while the other Roms have minor bugs.

Sent on my Moto X

flashallthetime - am I correct in thinking the paranoid rom is your rom of choice :)

can you clarify what bugs remain, I saw camera mentioned but then see a fix was found :)

flashallthetime

Dec 28, 2012
About the only bug is some people are having issues with location access, gps is an issue but other than that, its more than capable of being your daily driver, the performance improvements out weigh the bugs for me. I use my phone for GPS anyways.
The camera and sound issues are no longer exist on the paranoid nexus asus rom

Sent on my Moto X

mcl630

Dec 3, 2012
Does adb work at all? If not, search these forums and the Lenovo forums, I know there's been a few threads on getting adb to work.
If some commands are working and some not, make sure you have the latest Android SDK Tools.