Wi Fi problem in France

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
Hi ALL,

I bought my A500 mainly to take with me when I travel, especially for my once a year trip to France. In past years it has successfully connected to every single Wi Fi network I tried, but this year I had one problem. This year it connected to every Wi Fi except for two networks while I was visiting some friends. They have two Wi Fi's: one unprotected and open and the other protected with a long hex code. On the unprotected one when I told the A500 to connect it got hung up on the "obtaining IP address." Once it hit that it never got an IP address and would have stayed there forever but I told it to "forget" it. On the other it seemed to take the hex code, but then all it said was "Saved, protected by . . ." and when I tapped it there was no option to connect. My friends have a Sony Ice Cream Sandwich tablet and it connected to both their Wi Fi's with no problem.

What is so strange is that two years ago I also visited these friends and my A500 connected to both Wi Fi's with no problem at all. I doubt my friends made any changes to their Wi Fi settings, so the only changes would be to the version of the OS in the A500. I think two years ago when it worked it was still on the original Honeycomb and now its on Ice Cream Sandwich. Also strange is that any other Wi Fi it connected to with no problem.

My theory is that there is some nonstandard setting that my friends have with their Wi Fi's which Honeycomb didn't care about but Ice Cream Sandwich does care about. Does anyone have any idea why my A500 acted the way it did with these Wi Fi's? What kind of Wi Fi settings could do this?

Thanks,
Gerry

Mrhelper

Apr 29, 2012
Your theory seems unlikely. I infer from your post that you believe that the router was probably configured with mostly default settings and not likely changed since setup. If that's not the case, someone could have configured MAC address filtering to allow specific devices, which would cause similar symptoms. The problem seems just as likely to have been caused by a temporary WiFi station association glitch that could possibly have been cleared by booting the router.

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
Your theory seems unlikely. I infer from your post that you believe that the router was probably configured with mostly default settings and not likely changed since setup. If that's not the case, someone could have configured MAC address filtering to allow specific devices, which would cause similar symptoms. The problem seems just as likely to have been caused by a temporary WiFi station association glitch that could possibly have been cleared by booting the router.

Hi Mrhelper,

Thanks for the suggestion. However I won't be able to test it until my next visit to my friends in France which is about a year from now! My question was more of a curiosity question since I knew it would be a while until I see them again. However I think your suggestion makes more sense than what I thought it might have been.

Anyway, thanks again.
Gerry

rayted11

Sep 8, 2013
Hi Gerry,

Why dont you email your friend and ask him to test? Forget it if it's too troublesome:)