Windows 7 on a 7" tablet

Rollyd

Jan 29, 2011
Anybody have any experience with this windows operating system on an android tablet. Looks pretty good on paper, but how does in work??

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Currently you can place android on x86 processors. But there is not a OS version of W7 or compatible processsort kernel in W7 for placing Windows 7 on any ARM processor core

Rollyd

Jan 29, 2011
Currently you can place android on x86 processors. But there is not a OS version of W7 or compatible processsort kernel in W7 for placing Windows 7 on any ARM processor core
I can buy a 7" tablet with windows 7 on it. It apparently runs windows programs.
7 inch tablet PC CPU JZ4760 DDR2 256MB 1GB memory 600mHz TFT Resistive Windows7
System Supported O/S,Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7
Processor CPU JZ4760
CPU Type
MIPS
CPU Speed 600 mhz

Thats some of the info on the tablet
Does this make any difference??

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
The processor CPU JZ4760 was the clue I needed. This CPU can run Windows CE and there is one vendor saying windows and implies WinXP/7 capability. The RAM and Storage is inadequate for W7 X86 version. The future ARM version will run something similar to Embedded Windows. But will use/need 1Gb Ram

Rollyd

Jan 29, 2011
Thank you for your very good input Gurgle, Since it will run on 1GB ram. I am thinking I might just go for it after they answer all my questions. I am not fond of any android apps so far. Microsoft has ZUNE, that seems to include some very nice apps.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Fuganater is right. STAY away from any other device If you want Both W7 and Android. Look at the specs of the Viewsonic and compare to the unit you are referencing The unit you mention has 256 RAM and 1GB STORAGE!!! THis is totally different.
Even with the ViewSonic, it is using a simple version of W7

AND the ZUNE OS is something Totally different.

teegunn

Nov 28, 2010
I believe the dual boot capability of tabs will be when they really start to replace laptops..... for me at least. Win 7/android dual boot in a tab that has a nice dock to a keyboard (like the upcoming style of the Asus transformer). It may be a couple years, but I think we will start seeing true laptop replacement tabs along the lines of this. I also think we will start seeing Adroid used more and more in netbooks, with dual boot being an option there.

Rollyd

Jan 29, 2011
Fuganater is right. STAY away from any other device If you want Both W7 and Android. Look at the specs of the Viewsonic and compare to the unit you are referencing The unit you mention has 256 RAM and 1GB STORAGE!!! THis is totally different.
Even with the ViewSonic, it is using a simple version of W7

AND the ZUNE OS is something Totally different.

They never shipped the tablet as I must have asked too many questions. Kept saying it was going to be shipped, even gave me a tracking number. I got my money back. Thanks for your input

uplade3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apr 29, 2011
I'm actually going to buy the viewsonic, is there anything I should look out for?