Windows 8 consumer preview on viewpad 10

jimmunsw

Apr 28, 2012
many thanks waterhead , see i am learning more things from good guys like you and serouja , everyone have a nice day - jimmunsw :)

jimmunsw

Apr 28, 2012
Hi there serouja , waterhead and the rest of the experienced viewpad users , i have made a mistake while installing android ics4 ( the other day i ran android with usb live cd was ok ) this is what i think i have done :-

i put in my usb thumbdrive with android ics4 on my vpad
then i install android to hard disk
i then select sda1 linux sandisk ssd p4 1
i mistakenly select fat32 to format sda 1 ( there is few choices like :- do not format , ext 3 , ext 2 , ntfs , fat 32 )
i then skip install boot loader GRUB
i then select install , yes to create disk image
it run and installed sucessfully ok
i then run android and played around it a bit , it was ok
later i shut down my vpad and took out my usb thumb drive thinking it was successfully installed , but when i boot up my vpad , it says Error 17 _
there is no selection to boot either on windows 7 or android , this is where i know i have messed up both the windows and the android side
then i tried put in my usb thumbdrive again and select to run android , it is still able to run it well , but after i shut down vpad , i took out thumbdrive , i on my vpad , select F11 boot device , i can only select sata : pm - sandisk ssd p4 16gb ( only this chiocie and no other is shown ) , but it couldnt boot but it says Error 17 _ again . So i restarted vpad and done this 3 times :-

i on my vpad , select delete / run set up and go to Bios setup utility , i can see main system overview , on advanced setting - ide configuration it says :-
configure sata as - (AHCI) , for this there is 3 choices like Ide , AHCI and disabled , but it is selected AHCI
harddisk write protect is disabled , ide detect timeout - 35 seconds , ata (PI) 80 pin cable detection - is Host & Device , Boot setting - boot device priority - is 1st boot device- sata : pm- sandisk ss ( there is only this and nothing else available here ) , hard disk drives - is 1st drive - sata : pm - sandisk ss ( same , only this is available here ) , security settings for supervisor & user password is Not installed ,

so i discard changes and exit bios , i prepared my external keyboard & dvd rom , usb mouse and the windows 7 recovery disk , i on my vpad again and i boot from cd / dvd and select start recovery , i select :- this will remove all partition & data on this disk , make sure you do a backup , then it says formating partition , and minutes later it says recovery image to partition , and more than 10 minutes later it completed recovery , computer will shut down in 9 seconds , it shut down , i then took out the external dvd rom and restart vpad , it says Error 17_ ( in black background ) . I have tried doing this 3 times but in the end it still say error 17 _ . But if i put in my android usb thumbdrive , i can still run it well like earlier .

Please tell me how to fix my vpad problem , set up partition and reinstall windows 7 and android 1.6 with its recovery disk that comes along with the box . Many thanks for all you guys help . I appreciate it your guidance - jimmunsw .

waterhead

Jan 16, 2012
If you didn't hose your Windows install the first time, it sounds like running the recovery option did. Were you trying to install ICS to the internal hard drive or an external USB/microSD card?

You should have installed the GRUB bootloader. It then would have set up the options to boot the installed operating systems. You most likely could have recovered everything by just installing GRUB, and not running recovery.

You say you installed ICS to sda1. Isn't that the partition that Windows was on? Do you know what the partitions were? If so post them here. Also, FAT32 is not the best file system for Android, as it has severe limitations. Use the ext3 file system in the future. You may need to download a live Linux CD, to view your hard drives partitions. Here's a few:

Ultimate Boot CD - Overview

Download - SystemRescueCd

You can also use them to install GRUB, but it would just be easier to reinstall ICS. This time let it install GRUB!

jimmunsw

Apr 28, 2012
I was trying to install ics into my vpad internal hard drive . OK thanks i will check and let you know later . Many thanks to you waterhead .

jimmunsw

Apr 28, 2012
Dear waterhead ,

I have not tried ultimate boot cd and system rescue cd yet but i like to provide a bit more info to you if it will help :-

i plug in my android thumbdrive , it boots up and say - 1st Drive ( sata : pm - sandisk ssd )
2nd Drive ( Usb : Usb Disk 2.0 )

i then exit vpad and shut down , i plug in my thumbdrive again , select F11 , select Usb : Usb Disk 2.0 ,

it shows this :-

Android - x86 Live & Installation CD 4.0 - RC1
1) Live CD - Run Android - x86 without Installation
2) Live CD - VESA Mode
3) Live CD - Debug Mode
4) Installation - Install Android - x86 to hard disk -> I selected this item

It run and then it says :-
Choose Partition : sda1 Linux sandisk ssd p4 1
sda2 HPFS / NTFS sandisk ssd p4 1
sdb1 Win95 Fat32 (LBA) Usb Disk 2.0
Create / Modify Partitions -> I selected this item
Detect Devices

it says :-
cfdisk ( util - linux - ng 2.14.1 )
disk drive : /dev/sda
size : 16013942784 bytes . 16.0Gb
Heads : 255 Sectors per track : 63 Cylinders : 1946

Names Flags Part Type FS Type Label Size
sda1 _____ Primary Linus 2,155.03
sda2 _____ Primary NTFS (' A ) 13,851.38
Toggle bootable flag of the current partition_

I can toggle sda1 on the flags to boot but i dont know how to make it stay boot , when i esc or quit to get out , i enter again to see it is blank on under the flags on both sda1 and sda2 .

So far i hope you can advise me how to get on further to solve my mistakes if the above info is sufficient , or please advise if i still got to try ultimate boot cd and system rescue cd which i am not familiar to use . Also i remember before my mistakes , when i normally boot up my vpad , it will always ask me to choose Windows 7 first or Android 1.6 secondly . Many thanks and kind regards - jim

jimmunsw

Apr 28, 2012
Dear waterhead and serouja and all viewpad forumers ,

I managed to fix my vpad Error 17 problem already :-

I followed waterhead's advice regarding master boot recovery tools , so i google around , read a lot like crazy , because i never done this before and my broadband is very slow and if i amdownloading a big file like 39mb ! , it will take at least half hour ! so any slight interruption or minor pausing may result in me redownloading it again ! , but i was sure lucky enough to find a free software called Free Download Minitool Partition Wizard , Bootable CD , Home 7.1 Version ( 39mb ) and manage to burn it into a cd , and run it with a external dvd drive , it mostly tell you everything about the disk partition of vpad , I then click Surface Test and run on Disk 1 with no error found , then i click Rebuild MBR on Disk 1 , Appplied changes to it , Right click on *.system that shows my 12.9Gb Windows 7 side of Disk 1 Partition 2 , and then i select Set it as Active , click ok and and then it run all that i have selected very quickly , I exit the Minitool and i think it run straight on Windows 7 , it booted as normal set up like for the first time all over again , after that i played a bit for awhile , i clicked my computer and it showed only HDD (1) System (c:) 4.35Gb Free of 12.8Gb , the Android side is still hidden but i try to make it show again later . I then follow waterhead's instruction to install Android ICS 4.0 with Grub and ext3 and now my vpad is back to normal . I will one day install Windows 8 when i can find one place to download 2.5Gb fast enough because if using a slow broadband , most likely the W8CP is not complete and will be corrupted anyway , I have tried twice but unable , I think overall this vpad is a very good tablet if only anyone can buy it cheaply , I got mine at Usd113 from my gadget buddy , he used it for 4 months without a scratch and on it less than 6 times only , although you will only have around 4gb of space for you to download anything Windows , it is still small , fast and good enough to use it because of the 16gb limitation , i can make use of 32gb microsd card and 2xUsb port for thumbdrives and external hdd , all these are more than enough to transfer all your pictures , movies , softwares , data , notes , songs and etc... into it . You just got to improvise on the free space limitation , but dont forget you get a full Windows 7 or 8 or Xp and also play around with android ICS , i think it is good if you have vpad as a windows computer backups like in case your lap top or desk top fails , you can on vpad instantly ( 20 to 30 plus seconds ) and also you can use almost every Windows accessories with it like Usb adaptor , keyboard , mouse , thumbdrive , wifi , bluetooth , memory card , etc... everything Ipad lacks or difficult to use , i mean i do have a 64gb 3g wifi ipad generation 1 i still use currently , but now if i want to go windows i have my vpad to do it now . It's so convenient now . Many thanks to serouja and waterhead for giving good suggestion and advice , I hope to follow more on this vpad forum , cheers to all who is reading my post - jim :)

waterhead

Jan 16, 2012
I'm glad to hear that you have everything running again.

We have all been where you were at. New, and doing things to a computer that most 'normal' people would not even think of doing. After a few times you will become more comfortable, and then you will want to try another thing that is new! :) I don't know which version of ICS you installed, but I heard that the WeTab version worked the best.

As for downloading large files, you may want to try using a BitTorrent client. Not every file can be downloaded this way, but if you search the torrent sites you may find what you are looking for. This is not illegal, depending on what it is you are downloading. If the file can be downloaded elsewhere, then doing it via BitTorrent is also legal.

Also, my neighbor is from Malaysia. She came to the midwest USA because it is near Chicago, and she could go shopping there! She didn't consider the cold and the snow!

Last edited:

jimmunsw

Apr 28, 2012
Dear waterhead ,
Thanks for your fast reply , my android version is 4.0.3 tegv if i am not mistaken , but i will take a look at wetab and also w8cp download from bittorrent client , both of those i never been to the web pages , hopefully i can find w8 and download it speedily without any problem , please say hi to your malaysian neighbour for me , btw usually people from malaysia is nice and no trouble maker in general , back here it is summer 33 to 36 degree during daytime with 100 per cent humidity - you will sweat a lot easily here , so it is like prison escape for her , she may camped out somewhere tonight , just watch out , ha ha ha . Best regards - jim :)

jimmunsw

Apr 28, 2012
Dear All Vpad forumers ,

Btw , i have installed a free software called Dimmer , it is a dimmer of course to dim more than the dimmest windows 7 setting and it is good for those who do reading or surfing at night in bed or sofa and i am sure it will save some battery power too , secondly is the eboostr 4.0 free download for trial of 2 hours , using it with a 4gb thumbdrive or memory card for close to 4 gb extra ram power , after 2 hours just restart vpad and you get another new 2 hours of usage , it is pretty fast and i tried to set ram booster windows 7 but it was disabled in this stock w7 home os , i am not sure other countries are the same , but the normal 1gb ram is not enough i am sure , so instead to buy a 2gb ram , now i got 3 to 4 gb of it without paying much .

Both the above free softwares i highly recommend all vpad owners to try and see if you like or not , if anyone have more softwares recommendation , please let all to know , many thanks and best regards to all , cheers - jim :)

jimmunsw

Apr 28, 2012
Dear waterhead ,
Can you please advise me on how to download windows 8 consumer preview iso using bit torrent client , because i never done this before and i seemed to go round and round with no results , which bit torrent i need to download first then what is the next step , i just need to down load the 2.5gb size in a fast way , any idea please ? Thanks and best regards - jim

waterhead

Jan 16, 2012
I don't know how much we can discuss BT on these forums. Many forums prohibit BT discussion, and will suspend or ban users who do.

So, to get BT torrent files , I suggest using the web site with the pirate name. Look for a torrent that has seeders (SE), otherwise you will never get it.

BTW: I tried to reply earlier today. But when Firefox opened to this site, it crashed. After that it was missing all of my saved bookmarks, and I couldn't add any either. I found some bookmarks backups in my ./mozilla folder, and saved them. I then uninstalled Firefox and deleted all remaining folders. I reinstalled and told it to import bookmarks from the backups that I saved.

What a PITA!

Last edited:

jimmunsw

Apr 28, 2012
Dear waterhead , thanks for replying me , it's alright now , i managed to downloaded the w8 cp 32bit iso image file and using windows 7 dvd/usb download tool and copied burned it into my 4gb cruzer thumbdrive ( btw it wont support microsd card in my vpad or with sd adapter into a usb sd card reader also , i have tried but failed to copy ) and booted up vpad using my 4gb thumbdrive , it starts to install , but when it reaches upgrade or custom install , what is the next step i shoud do ? My vpad is partitioned 2gb for android 4 and the rest for windows 7 . Please advise me , i cant proceed further on. Thanks and best regards - jim