Windows 8 consumer preview on viewpad 10

jimmunsw

Apr 28, 2012
Btw so sorry for your missing all your saved bookmarks , it's so hard to remember all and to find it back one by one , but luckily you have a backup !

jimmunsw

Apr 28, 2012
Dear waterhead , when i reached the 2 types of installation - upgrade or custom , if upgrade i will get this - the computer started using windows installation disc. Remove the disc and restart computer then insert installation disc and restart the upgrade , blah , blah , blah , close . If i choose custom install i will get this - drive 0 partition 1 2gb size 0mb free space Primary type , drive 0 partition 2 : system 12.9gb size 4.2gb free space System type
it also says windows cant be installed on drive 0 partition 2. ( show details ) , i click on this and it says - windows set up - there needs to be at least 5918mb of free space on this partition. Free up space on this partition or select another partition .
So does this mean i should delete the 2gb andriod volume first to add on to the 4.2gb free space so that i can install windows 8 on only one main partition left ? Please advise if your vpad is 16gb ssd version , how can you upgrade windows 8 and keep android ics too at the same time ? Thanks again - jim

waterhead

Jan 16, 2012
I can't help much on this, because I don't want to even try installing this on my tablet. I spent a lot of time installing/tweaking openSUSE Linux on my tablet, and I don't want windows to wreck it. Windows has the habit of ruining any other operating system that it finds on a hard drive (other than a windows OS).

jimmunsw

Apr 28, 2012
Dear waterhead and serouja , I have sucessfully installed windows 8 cp into my vpad , however because i dont have enough 5.9gb minimum to install w8 , i deleted many apps initially for my w7 , while deleting tune up utilities , i think it affected my wifi network adapters or drivers , when deleting tune up utilities , my wifi is still full bars transmitting nicely , but once deleting completed , my wifi signal bar is out with a white cross inside a red 'O' . I didnt do anything about it and went ahead to install w8 and after installing i play around with the new w8 tiles and realised the wifi is unable to turn on . I plug in a usb broadband thumbdrive and it worked flawlessly on i.explorer , hotmail email , new windows store and maps . The weather and stock finance is unable to work due to no wifi . So i this is what i have tried :-

Now on my w8 vpad10 , i click on the wifi signal bars icon , it slide out from the right side out - Networks , 1) Airplane Mode = Off ( for this i can toggle on / off )
2) Connections = DigiBroadband ( this is my usb broadband thumbdrive i am using )
3) Wifi = (Off) - for this area it's in grey color which i cannot click or toggle even when i use a keyboard or usb mouse unlike above 1) in black color toggleable

So i continue to open my computer > click Add a network location > Connect to the internet >
it says Do you want to use a connection that you already have ? I clicked on - No, create a new connection >
It replied - Windows did not detect any network hardware .

Then i open Computer Management > Device Manager > Network Adapters >
1) Bluetooth Device
2) Bluetooth Device
3) Microsoft Kernel Debug Network Adapter
device type : Network Adapters
manufacturer : Microsoft
this device is working properly

4) Qualcomm Atheros AR9002WB-1NG Wireless Network Adapter
general : device type : network adapters
manufacturer : Qualcomm Atheros Communications Inc.
device status : this device is working properly .

advanced : property : 802.11 Bluetooth High Speed Value : Enable
802.11b Preamble Long & Short
Adhoc 11n Disable
Network address Blank , Not present
Receive Buffers 256
ScanValid Interval 60
Transmit Buffers 512
Web TKIP 11n Enable
Wireless Mode Selection Auto and not 802.11b/g

Power Management > 1) Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power = Both is unchecked
2) Allow this device to wake the computer = Both is unchecked

Then i also checked in Contol Panel > Network & Sharing Center > 1) Set up a new connection or network
2) Troubleshoot problems
For above 1) Connect to the internet > Do you want to use a connection that you already have ? > I clicked no , create a new connection >
It replied - windows did not detect any networking hardware .

Then i try above item 2) > Troubleshoot problems > Internet connections > Apply repairs automatically - checked box > then it says
we will try to connect to Microsoft Corporation: Software, Smartphones, Online, Games, Cloud Computing, IT Business Technology, Downloads
I try again item 2) > Troubleshoot problems > Network Adapters > then it says - Turn ON wireless capability - Use the Switch on the front or side of the
computer or Function Keys if available to enable wireless capability on this computer > Problems Found - wireless capability is turned off -
not fixed (X) . There are some details but one say Detail Root Cause = Radio is off ( HW Switch )
Network Diagnostics Log : File Name : 98D73537..........
Other Network Config & Logs : Filename : Network configuration.cab

I also tried this , i flicked the right side out > charms > settings > more pc setting > wireless > 1) Airplane mode is OFF ( I can toggle it on/off in black color )
2) Wireless Device show Wifi is OFF in light grey color and i cannot toggle or click even using both usb keyboard and mouse

So is there a way to enable switch on the wireless network like in the mobility center in w7 , on w8 the mobility center is missing a turn on/off for wifi . Can i use command prompt to switch it on ? Or do i have to uninstall the wifi driver and download a latest new on to enable it ? Please help out if you know how to solve my wifi problem .
Many thanks and best regard - jim

waterhead

Jan 16, 2012
What about the button on the bottom right of the tablet? This turns on/off the internal wireless card.

Does the blue light at the upper right go on and off when you toggle this button on/off?

Have you tried installing the Win 7 driver? Since Atheros was aquired by Qualcom, there no longer is a certified place to download the drivers. But it looks like you can get it from her:

Drivers for Atheros AR9002WB and Windows 7

jimmunsw

Apr 28, 2012
Dear waterhead ,
you are a genius ! I have forgotten that the Enter J button is the switch for the wifi on/off button when you short press it , i didnt read the quick instruction guide note with pictures from the box when i first bought my vpad10 , i must have totally forgotten about this button and thought using mostly the mobility center to virtual switch it on/off all the time . When i was deleting tune up utilities i must have inadvertently lightly pressed this button and didnt notice that except seeing the wifi signal bar going off . Anyway i am safe now as my wifi is ok now i will try w8 tiles and see how good it is , thanks a lot . Strangely i notice 2 things :-
1) The mobility center w8 now have no virtual switch for on/off wifi - can this be settable somehow and how ?
2) Earlier after i installed w8 cp , i used my 4gb sandisk cruzer as a Ram Booster for my Vpad - this is possible ( On my w7 all my thumbdrive is not allowed as the computer is fast enough - it said ) , but after a few shut down and boot up plus disk memory check and using the vpad without plugging the cruzer on , Now i cant set the same Cruzer as Ram Booster , it is fast enough - it said also , I just dont understand why this can be so ? Is there a way to go around this problem , as i realised the extra 3.7gb ram is really fast and a joy to use my vpad .

Many thanks again and best regards - jim

dewarez

Aug 9, 2012
Works fine now try with the audio drivers metro whit the trick of the screen (for this reason I hate windows 8 dont support 1024 x 600 what?)

Vinchenzi

Sep 13, 2012
Hey im installing your windows 7 lite version and ive come to the product key entry bit. i bought my Viewsonic Viewpad 10 last week from a cash converters in london and as it is second hand i think the previous owner kept/lost the product key as it has not come with what i bought only the box and the disk for windows.
does anybody know how to get around this or have a product key i can use?

thanks

waterhead

Jan 16, 2012
Hey im installing your windows 7 lite version and ive come to the product key entry bit. i bought my Viewsonic Viewpad 10 last week from a cash converters in london and as it is second hand i think the previous owner kept/lost the product key as it has not come with what i bought only the box and the disk for windows.
does anybody know how to get around this or have a product key i can use?

thanks
The product key should be on a sticker on the back of the tablet.