Windows 8 on Your Android

Six

Oct 1, 2012
Does anyone know of any ways as to how to get the Windows 8 system onto an android tablet?

I've seen a few videos of people getting the consumer preview on their androids but I haven't seen or heard anything about HOW to do it, on that you can. So, I'm wondering, how do you get the consumer preview? Is it possible to get the ENTIRE set up now that the Microsoft Surface has been released?

Can all tablets get Windows 8? Android ICS? So many questions!

The biggest one, do you want Windows 8 on your Android? Why or why not?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Given time it might be possible to get Windows RT to run on Android hardware but it isn't going to happen overnight. The hardware that Windows RT runs on might also be limited to just a few specific ARM chips. This isn't like buying a PC with linux or no OS on it and then installing Windows if that is what you are thinking and MS will not be making any provisions to install Windows RT to tablets in that way.

This will be a very fringe effort by developers and enthusiasts if it goes any where at all. So the short answer is no, you can't really get Windows on an Android tablet.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Additionally the Windows 8 RT will not be sold at retail and Windows 8 RT has some specific hardware requirements. only tablets that meet those requirements would be able to run it properly. But as JP said, someone will figure out a way, eventually.

gordon_s1942

Oct 18, 2012
By my very limited reading and understanding of Windows 8 is that it is intended to make your Desktop or Laptop into a defacto Tablet. !!!
It now has a screen full of 'APPS' ala Tablet, Touch screen response ala Tablet, an 'optional' add on/take off Keyboard ala Tablet so really, why do you want Windows 8 on a Tablet as you already have all of its 'features'?
To me the Tablet is becoming what the Laptop started out as some years ago as a 'Junior' Desktop for the 'Upwardly Mobile User'.
Small but not tiny, portable without needing wheels, Good Battery life and 'Connectable' via various means to another devise or the Internet but certainly not 'Junior' to a Desktop now in any of its capabilities.
The Tablet makes needing a Desktop less important and the Tablet is giving the Laptops a run for popularity too.
By combining screen features such as APP's on both,it makes it simpler for the user of the more 'Traditional' Desktop to go from one to the other rather than having to remember how to find programs using Vista, XP or Win7 if downloads are needed or adding other App's as needed.

Last edited:

tumpy

Dec 15, 2010
My first computer was an IBM 386 with windows 3.1, i am typing this on a compaq running windows 8 and dual booting with ubuntu 12.10, I would never buy a tablet running windows while there is android, I love to tinker and options that android give's windows is lacking at this moment in time....

anchorblew

Oct 30, 2012
The biggest one, do you want Windows 8 on your Android? Why or why not?
Personally, I'd love to be able to dual boot my Nexus 7 with Jelly Bean and Windows 8. Windows 8 comes pre-installed with MS Office, which would help me out a lot with productivity but I'd still have the flexibility of Android to utilize.

Last edited:

Six

Oct 1, 2012
I know there are plenty of cloud-based options such as Splashtop in the Android Market, but those options only create the illusion that your tablet is running Windows 8. Connecting your tablet to your computer via cloud isn't the same thing as actually having the software on your device. I'm looking to actually get all of the features and gestures of Windows 8, onto an Android Tablet without the use of "tricking yourself" into thinking it's Windows 8 or downloading a crappy ROM.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Six said:
I know there are plenty of cloud-based options such as Splashtop in the Android Market, but those options only create the illusion that your tablet is running Windows 8. Connecting your tablet to your computer via cloud isn't the same thing as actually having the software on your device. I'm looking to actually get all of the features and gestures of Windows 8, onto an Android Tablet without the use of "tricking yourself" into thinking it's Windows 8 or downloading a crappy ROM.

No problem just buy a windows 8 tablet, no tricking involved.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Fear not as Microsoft, being a software company at heart, will soon release a version of Office for Android because it is obviously already capable of running on Arm based devices. The problem, of course, is that it could well cost as much as the tablet you want to run it on.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Fear not as Microsoft, being a software company at heart, will soon release a version of Office for Android because it is obviously already capable of running on Arm based devices. The problem, of course, is that it could well cost as much as the tablet you want to run it on.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1
LOL, good old MS.

elmbeetle

Nov 7, 2012
I was wondering if I could install windows 8 on my Ausus Transformer Prime ....Honeycomb ice cream sandwich ?