WITS A81E MID power-driven by 600MHz ARM Cortex A8 (Nationite MIDnite)

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Merimobiles offers both with and without GPS. Without is $200+shipping and With $215+Shipping USD. In other locations (MP4Nation), the price with GPS is $210+shipping without or $225+shipping with (It says the same price as Merimobiles one place and more elsewhere)
Other sites just offer with GPS

Important NOTE: Unless you have the 831 Firmware, you will not get GPS and Bluetooth functioning consistently in Android. Earlier versions will work in CE but there is no dual boot in 2.2 releases. only 2.1 had CE/Android dual boot. This is promised to be returned, but the manufacturer does not provide great support on older models (Read A81 models A through C)

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
The reason CE is listed as slow sometimes is because it is referencing the prior dual boot option on the 2.1/CE units. CE was loaded off of the MicroSD card.
At this time, there is no dual boot option, The CE boot is about the same as the Android 2.2 boot. But you can only have CE or 2.2 not both.
CE is OK but is older 6.0 version. and no upgrade path planned.

Hope this helps.

vijaykhai

Jun 19, 2010
Hi gurgle,
I too have installed 831 versn. but stillk find that I can not find MANY popular Apps, inspite of adding all these to the repository :
* http://aptoide.com/repo/
* http://aptoide.com/sapo/
* http://android-es.com/repo/apk
* http://market.nerman.ws
* Android Repository - repo.blackdroid.net
* http://server.uncabron.es/repo
http://twistedumbrella.slackdev.com/apk

Obviously I am doing something wrong or Market is "WORKING" is a myth ! Any comments?
Also it came with Maps and Maps[Beta], which only give you directions but not turn-by-turn navigation. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
You are not doing anything wrong, Google has done something interesting (read unfortunate). There is Google Market, and then there is "google market". The only way a device is designated privileged to have full Google Market is to comply with their standards/minimum build requirements for Froyo (2.2) The install of the A81-E does not have all the defined bells and whistles required for full Market. For comparison, look at the features of the A81-E vs the Samsung Tablet which will have Froyo and full Market.
It has 3G, Front and rear cameras,3G, GPS,... and on and on. There are ways to work around and get the apps, but some may be breaking the license. They got the right to use a limited range of Market Apps. I am sure you have experienced a direct link that fails in your Android Market.
Google Maps on the A81-E will only do step by step with the GPS and a continuous network connection is my understanding. I have not done step by step or any GPS as I bought the unit without the GPS. I would like a compass, but find street view adequate.

BTW: I am preparing to drop back to 823 as I find 831 having a bit of balkyness at odd times. I did not experience that when I had 823. I will likely use the Hazard or the new Russian build just out. The Russian Build of 823 looks very promising.

kcallis

Aug 25, 2010
So it would probably be better to hold out for an approved device as opposed to trying to get creative with A81E... Of course, I am sure that all of the approved devices with reflect with price tag as well...

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
As a Heads up. and Mentioned on other boards. There is a shortage and delivery delays for the various A81-E, This includes the W1060. Please be advised. I am happy with mine, but want you to be aware of the demand exceeding delivery

kcallis

Aug 25, 2010
It is still a hard call for me... I do like the apps that I run on my droid, and so I thought it would be cool to have a tablet that was able to run the same apps, and offset the load on my phone. Of course, as I continue reading about the A81E, it is close, but without being able to truly make use of the Android Market, I am wondering it I could be completely happy with the device. The trade off of course, it that I could hold out for an official Android device and be prepared to tack on another another couple of hundred dollars for the that device. Granted that device will be blessed by the powers that be, I will be paying for that benefit.

midijay

Nov 18, 2010
looking around it is being stated that the ce is very slow o/s. So look into that for sure.

hi, this is a really short video of CE but if there is a specific function you would like me to test and make a short film of I could do that.

Last edited by a moderator:

skycop51

Sep 9, 2010
MP4Nation sells this and you must do the work of updating firmware which I think is a crock. SOme might not be comfortable with doing this. Then am told the screen will not auto rotate, when I got another one from another company and it is great. Both have some mars and rubbing marks on the case itself. So quality there is not so good. So got the MP one with better firmware and now have to try to root it tomorrow which I have no idea how to do that.

skycop51

Sep 9, 2010
mp4nation has a fix that tells exactly what to do to get a full market and it is great. Hope this helps you. Oh tonight my tablet will not work without it plugged in. Bummer and did check it against another good battery. I just got this damn thing and was happy with it.

vijaykhai

Jun 19, 2010
BLUETOOTH File Transfer
-------------------------------
Hi,
Believe me I am DUMB - really. I have had my Wits A81E ( small USB) since mid-Aug and am very happy esp. with FW 1208 installed.
At long last I tried using Blue Tooth(BT). I have a cheap Samsung Smooth SCH-U350 with BT - I managed to transfer the Contact List from the cell to A81E.
But I am unable to tranf.a file (very small) to the Phone. Can some body please spell out the exact steps in simple English to do this.

Vijay
Thank you.