Wopad W7001 RK2818 Capacitive 7" Android 2.1

valery

Dec 12, 2010
~4MFlops is pretty pathetic actually, about 1/2 of the original Intel Pentium running at 100MHz. Clearly these processors were not designed for floating point work, which explains why all tablets have DSP co-processors for video decoding. Which tools did you use to compile the Linpack code? I'd be interested in wiriting some code too, at least for benchmarking. Did you find a working g++?

Thanks

Update:

Benchmarks:
Linpak - 3.94Mflops

Li0nHeart

Dec 26, 2010
I got my Wopad on Friday. It works as I expected. I just can't get Youtube to work. Has anyone had any luck yet, and which apk did you use?

For me it just says cannot play video, and seems to 'kill' my wireless connection. It has to regain the connection afterwards.

Li0nHeart

Dec 26, 2010
A word of advice to those of you wanting to pay some extra bucks for a higher resolution at Pandawill:
So I ordered a Wopad at PandaWill because they're the only ones to sell the 1024x600 kind.
So I got it last Friday. I opened the box.. flipped thru the manual and there it says:
Resolution 800x480

So I download the Android App Screen Resolution, and it tells me the screen is 800x480

So I contact Live Support (Doris). They send me a 1024x576 image to set as my background.
I do this, the image gets cut off on the top, bottom, left, right. I take a photo of my WoPad and I send it to LiveSupport

I install a 800x480 image as my background. It fits perfectly.

I tell all this to LiveSupport, and I supply them with the picture. They just ignore what I tell them, and keep saying it is 1024x576. I ask them to explain why all facts show differently.

They start shouting in CAPS that the device is what it is, they tested themselves, and it is 1024x576.

Then they disconnect me, when I tell them I'm disappointed in them.

This post will probably get deleted, but my advice. Don't buy your WoPad here, it is NOT 1024x600.
Or maybe the ones they are shipping now are, but if you do happen to get a 800x480 one, Live Support will treat you like you're crazy.

Order 20173467

The WoPad works fine. I just can't stand that they treat me like an idiot.

So get the same one for a few dollars less elsewhere.

Li0nHeart

Dec 26, 2010

Thanks, it turned out to be signal strength of the wifi. At work I'm sitting right next to the Access Point. Now it is working. Installed that version anyway because it's newer.

So thanx !

I also had some trouble finding a working gmail.apk, because the market wouldn't supply gmail.

I downloaded the one from here, and this one installed:

http://code.google.com/p/clean-eclair/source/browse/trunk/CleanEclair/system/app/Gmail.apk?r=22

Save the 'view raw code' link.

Last edited:

imjayson

Dec 9, 2010
i can't say i'm very happy with this product after having it for 1 week.
1) wifi strength is atrocious. ~6m is the maximum range.
2) sometimes it doesn't wake up from sleep. i have to plug in the power to wake it up.
3) sometimes screen juz turn black during usage, i have to press the power button twice to get the screen back on.

anyone having the same problem?

Li0nHeart

Dec 26, 2010
i can't say i'm very happy with this product after having it for 1 week.
1) wifi strength is atrocious. ~6m is the maximum range.
2) sometimes it doesn't wake up from sleep. i have to plug in the power to wake it up.
3) sometimes screen juz turn black during usage, i have to press the power button twice to get the screen back on.

anyone having the same problem?

1. Agree.. wifi isn't great. I have to sit next to my hotspot for it to play youtube video's (youtube app apparently wants a strong connection).
2. Luckily that hasn't happened yet.
3. Twice I've had black screens when I woke it up. And once the screen was all jizzy when I woke it up. Had to reboot. None in the last day though (have only had it for 4 days now).

And what's up with that ugly plastic black strip on the back.. why put it there? It's already starting to come loose, and serves no function whatsoever.

ving

Dec 20, 2010
had mine for a few days now and i am pleased with it. I too have the youtube problem. it play the vid for a while then freezes. I dont go on YT much anyhow but it woould be great if this worked.... maybe a firmware upgrade will fix? my wifi range seems quite good. i can use it anywhere in the house

all else works well enough for me. and no, i dont miss angry birds. :cool:

got mine from merimobiles btw. good service and they threw in a floppy keyboard. :)

irishwolfie

Dec 2, 2010
@Li0nheart - I go to the YouTube site...and it works fine. I got mine from Merimobiles. I don't use the YouTube app that is pre-installed. So far I am happy with the device. Nice speed. Nice screen. There is possibly a firmware update coming soon I believe. This will hopefully iron out a few glitches. Check the merimobiles website in a few days. It is not Android 2.2 btw...just some improvements to the 2.1.

Li0nHeart

Dec 26, 2010
Hadn't thought of just going to the site.. will try that. Thanks.
I didn't have a youtube app preinstalled, so I downloaded a apk from the internet.

I'm also happy with the device, works exactly like I thought it should, and for that price, I'm happy.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
The most reliable method to apply temporary root is with psneuter or SuperOneClick if you want a GUI. You will need to plugin your tablet and pull back once to complete this process.

Please refer to the excellent information available at ArchosFans wiki to create a full backup of your current firmware: http://wiki.archosfans.com/index.php?title=Dump_your_Home_Tablet_rom_and_create_a_custom_rom
You will need to have knowledge of shell commands to perform a full firmware backup at the time of writing, most reliably using rkdump by naobsd.