Wyoming has a new Coby MID9742-8

Engeddi

Apr 2, 2013
Howdy to the AndroidTablets.net community.

I am a stay at home father raising a couple of kids while my wife is working hard each day. We moved to Wyoming just in the past year due to work and enjoy the smaller hometown type of communities we have found. I have had my adventures in the metro type cities in the past and . . . I am over it.

I am fairly new in the Android world. I bought a Coby MID7127 last year, had it rooted with google market, which of course changed to Google Play. This is where my connection ended with Google. At the end of the year, the battery in my 7127 started to buzz when I would try to charge it and it stopped booting up. I sent it in and two months later received a Coby MID9742-8 as a replacement, which I initially thought was really neat that they would do that. Unfortunately one week after they sent me this one I noticed that they started putting Google Play onto a couple of newer tablets right from the factory. Bummer.

I followed Traveller1701's information on rooting from his thread titled "READ FIRST: Development Index and Root Utility" and was able to root, create a system dump, install Super User, and install Clockworkmod Recovery. I tried to follow his instructions for installing Google Apps but have been unsuccessful. This is where I stand today. I have a tablet that feels like it is less than so-so and I cannot get the apps off of Google Play.

I have been contemplating getting a Google Nexus 7 or a Kindle Fire HD 7 but keep hoping that I can resurrect the Coby 9742.

I believe this is where my story ends and begins on within the community.

I have appreciated all the advice I have found here and look forward to reading more in the future. Maybe down the road I will be able to help out as I learn more about Android. Any input and advice regarding my Coby would be appreciated . . . meanwhile . . . I keep reading.

Enjoy the Day!

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
The links in my signature should improve the ability to download apps from the Play Store.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hello Engeddi, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new Coby MID9742. It sounds as though you've found a great place to live and raise those kids, congratulations on that as well. Nice of you to become a member of Android Tablets, and nice to hear you're looking forward to helping out when you can. That's what makes the forum work as well as it does. Hopefully, the link Traveller just provided will help you "resurrect" that 9742. If it does, you can use the money you saved by not buying another tablet to buy lots of apps from Google Play.:p Enjoy your tablet and the forum!:cool:

Upshifter

Apr 18, 2013
I like Wyoming, and lived in Cheyenne for 2 years; also my father was born there in 1904. I served in the Air Force there. Yes, I'm older than dirt.

I don't know anything about tablet computers, but I will soon. I ordered two Mid7065-8 Coby tablets from Amazon. I should get the first one sometime today, and the 2nd one a week from now. People's recommendations for that machine and the price convinced me. I didn't make a mistake buying those tablets, because even if I find them unsatisfactory, I will have learned a lot about tablets and the Android operating system in general. If I had bought an expensive machine the first time, given the tablet market in general, I could make a costly mistake. Price is not an indicator of value.

Congratulations on your move to Wyoming. It's a good state.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hello to you as well Upshifter, congratulations on your two new Mid7065 Coby tablets and welcome to the forum. To get started, I'd suggest you click this link to the Android Tablet Q&A section. Read the "Sticky:" threads at the beginning for some good general information about tablets and Android. In particular, try to read http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-one-guide-how-start-your-android-tablet.html before using those new tablets. If you have any problems/questions regarding the tablets, the Coby Generation 4 forum would be the place to go. Enjoy your new tablets and the forum!:eek:

Engeddi

Apr 2, 2013
Thanks for all the welcomes everyone. Sure enjoy living in Wyoming thus far. After growing up in the MidWest, I sure enjoy seeing the mountains each day. Also appreciate no state income taxes.

Traveller1701, thanks for heading me to your signature. I am working my way through your posts to see what I can find. I have tried to install the Gapps link you provided in one of them, but I did not have the Google Play app show up. I will keep reading though and see what else I can discover. My browser sure run slow on my MID9742, I figure it might have to do with the internet speeds available to me thus far.

Upshifter, It will be interesting to see how you like those MID7065's. The people here in Wyoming have sure been friendly and helpful with every issue we have had moving out here. My 9742 has been and continues to be an adventure in learning once again.

If anyone has good books, sites, or links that are helpful with learning the Android system . . . I sure would appreciate the leads.

Enjoy the day!!

Engeddi

Apr 2, 2013
Thanks for the links Spider. I appreciate your time and info. I want to look into learning more about the software side of Android.

Enjoy!

Engeddi

Apr 2, 2013
Update:

First and foremost, I want to thank all of you that have replied to my initial thread. I have nothing but respect for how you guys have been able to understand and work with the Android OS. My brother has been a programmer and is currently working on the hardware end of the business and has over 20 years of experience. Unfortunately he is not into the Android world. However, I think that I understand what kind of time and commitment you gentlemen have applied to this process. I also appreciate how you have placed your findings on this forum and help out the rest of us.

With that said...

For the past several weeks, as time allows, I have tried to get Google Play up and running on my 9742. I seem to be running into some issue that I cannot seem to get past. I have read many different threads regarding the process, mostly focusing on Traveller1701. I followed his advice, threads, and downloads to complete this process with no final success.

Once I have installed all of the appropriate zips from Traveller1701 I run into issues such as Google Play.apk stopping and also I have noticed that when I go into Settings and try to get into the Apps section I receive "Unfortunately, Settings has stopped".

I can give further detail in another reply. I am just tired and it is late. I need sleep.

I would sure appreciate any input or advice. In the meanwhile, Enjoy the day!