Am I missing system files?

miketee721

Jul 28, 2011
Hi all, was hoping I could get some help confirming whether or not I was missing 3 system files? With the new 3.2 OTA update expected in a week or two, I did not want to run into any problems.

My A500 is stock (unrooted) and was properly updated to 3.1 OTA a few weeks ago. The kernel is 2.6.36.3 and the build is Acer_A500_4.010.13_COM_GEN2. I have not "knowingly" deleted any files but was wondering if maybe something I downloaded might have deleted something.

Anyway, these are the files in question from the system/app folder: AccountAndSyncSettings.apk, AccountAndSyncSettings.odex and LatinImeTutorial.apk.

Just got off the phone with Acer support and while courteous, was totally useless. The rep only had a stock tab with 3.0 and no file explorer of any kind. I told him to download File Manager HD, so he could check his system folder but he told me he couldn't connect to the internet???

Would appreciate any confirmations as to whether I'm actually missing those files from my system/app folder or not. Thanks in advance.

Mike T

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
First you say:

My A500 is stock (unrooted)

Then you worry about missing files in a directory you only have READ permissions for?

If you are not rooted you can't delete anything from that folder.

For the record I don't have any of those files either.
Where did you get the idea you were "missing" these files?
Where did you get the name of these files that you are missing?

miketee721

Jul 28, 2011
First you say:
My A500 is stock (unrooted)

Then you worry about missing files in a directory you only have READ permissions for?

If you are not rooted you can't delete anything from that folder.

For the record I don't have any of those files either.
Where did you get the idea you were "missing" these files?
Where did you get the name of these files that you are missing?

That is the answer I was looking for and somehow I figured it would be you that responded. Thank you! As for the files being deleted, you make a good point about me only having read privileges, I actually thought I downloaded something malicious that had r/w privileges and may have caused some havoc on my tab.

I'll keep it short as to where I got the idea of possible missing files. While browsing other Iconia forums, I came across a couple of threads where people were having problems with the last 3.1 OTA update because they were missing some Acer specific files. In 2 of those forums, I downloaded a file that was supposed to be an "untouched" folder of the system/apps apk/odex files. I matched up my folder to the ones that I downloaded and the 3 files in question were not in my folder. So, I just wanted to be sure that I wouldn't have any issues when Acer sends out the 3.2 update.

Anyway, thanks again for your confirmation, as well as all the other support that I've seen your name attached to in this forum. Take care.

Mike T