...and we're rooted (Stock 1.2 rooted ManualNooter 4.4.27)

xfeejayx

Feb 28, 2011
Well, no auto nooter but the manual nooter isn't too manual. Besides that you have other options like custom ROMs. So don't let an official autonooter hang you up from getting the most out of your nook. :)

JP

JP, is the implication that you do not need to root if a custom rom is being installed onto a stock 1.2 NC?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
JP, is the implication that you do not need to root if a custom rom is being installed onto a stock 1.2 NC?

That is correct. Rooting is only necessary to unlock B&N's software but still keep it essentially intact. A custom ROM replaces anything on the Nook so it doesn't matter if it is stock, rooted or another custom ROM.

JP

xfeejayx

Feb 28, 2011
Just to make this clear to make myself easy...

Friend of mine just got a warranty replaced 1.2 NC. He's messed with it a little just to play, but not rooted or anything. I can just go flash CM7 from a CWR on an SD and be done with it? That sounds too easy. Should I be wiping first?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yep, it is that easy. You need to take the usual steps for flashing ROMs. I suggest the following:

1. Use bootable CWR (3.0.2.8 or higher) to make a nandroid backup of the stock setup.
2. Wipe cahche partition and dalvik cahche.
3. Format /system and /data
4. Flash CM7 7.0.3 encore stable.
5. Flash the lates Gapps.
6. Unmount SD card, remove and reboot.
7. Get CM7 basics setup (wifi, google account, etc.)
8. Power down and insert bootable CWR card.
9. Boot into recovery.
10. Make a nandroid backup of CM7 7.0.3.

Optional:
A. Flash an OC kernel.
B. Flash a nighty.
B1. Flash a kernel for the nightly.

CLSmith

Jan 14, 2011
If you follow the SxS instructions posted earlier in this thread, I would recommend you download the ManualNooter using the link below. IMHO v4.5.6 seems much better than v4.4.27. Other than that, the instructions are very good.

Download ManualNooter from here: ManualNooter-4-5.6.zip

Should we be using this updated manual nooter instead of the one posted in the 'how to' directions in post #4?

Are people still having issues with the App store?

CLSmith

Jan 14, 2011
5 Insert Flashable CWM SDcard with ManulNooter into your NOOKcolor.

Can I have more than 1 zip/flashable file on my CWM SD card? In other words, can I use the same CWM card that I used to install stock 2.1? Can I also backup my 1.2 to this card?