Another update to Honeycomb 3.2.1

ggravier

Jun 1, 2011
I found a way to ensure that all the apps that don't show as Installed get udpated.

Install Go Launcher EX, launch it once. From there go to their Go Store, and click on the little arrow-in-a-circle on the top right of the screen, that will take you to the list of apps that need updates... you will find the few that, for some reason, Market / Play misses. Once these have been updated once, then Market / Play will get them next time.

I guess this behavior is because, on a fresh machines, these apps are considered (by mistake) as being part of the OS, rather than apps, so not considered for updates by Market / Play. In any case, the Go Launcher EX / Go Store has solved that properly for me...

I use the Launcher all the time on my phone, but not on the A500 (don't find it that interesting on the tablet) - except once in a while to use Go Store to check for updates.

detz

Jan 3, 2012
I went to the market, found it, and installed it. I was running ver. 3.1. I was finally able to d/l and update to ver 3.2.1. So its a definite that Acer is going to be coming out with ice-cream update for the A500?

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I went to the market, found it, and installed it. I was running ver. 3.1. I was finally able to d/l and update to ver 3.2.1. So its a definite that Acer is going to be coming out with ice-cream update for the A500?
Yeah there has been mention of April. You must remember that ICS will be a major system update and improved compatibility has been the aim - so that the system will update with little, if any problem. The other manufacturers have not been as carefull which has led to peripherials not working and other bugs that were not evident under HC.

For the transition from HC to ICS to be as smooth as possible some OS utilities and OS apps need to be updated.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Not a bad idea Giles! I'll have to remember that. Merci.

diiorio

Dec 21, 2011
It was actually offered here back around the 17th, or when I noticed it at least (US central). Minor changes, Didn't really change anything that would be needed to change the OS unless it is a required pre-cursor by ID. THe message apeared a week ago and it takes you to the Google play store to update.

It was played to be rolled out internationally starting the 15th of April. What I have noticed is Acers display units at the recent tech show all have ICS already on the A200, A500/501, A510. When Asked when it will Roll out OTA, they said it is ready for all devices and it will start soon by device random lots ranges both in North MAerica, Europe , Euro dependant coutnries, with an Asia minor/Major shortly after. Soon doesn't specify exactly.

THey seemed to have changed a few more things since the leaks. I like the ability to turn off and get rid of some network dependant acer programs. There is also better support with the new version of Wi.fi media with Windows 7 and already a windows 8 instant access. They thought ahead. The device can isntantly synch to a window8 PC on the network and one click into REMOTE mode to control your PC audio and video players.

Last edited:

ggravier

Jun 1, 2011
Yeah there has been mention of April. You must remember that ICS will be a major system update and improved compatibility has been the aim - so that the system will update with little, if any problem. The other manufacturers have not been as carefull which has led to peripherials not working and other bugs that were not evident under HC.

For the transition from HC to ICS to be as smooth as possible some OS utilities and OS apps need to be updated.

One thing to keep in mind is that you will lose Adobe Flash support. Not an issue as most sites are shifting to HTLMv5 for dynamic content since iOS doesn't have Adobe Flash either, and iOS + Android probably amounts to the biggest number of web browsing devices on the market... or will soon. :) Bye bye Flash. Good riddance!

Gilles.

diiorio

Dec 21, 2011
actaully you can use adobe flash fine, you have to manual install the ne macromedia bundle since the old flash is declining in poplarity and has been replaced. THe A200 plays flash web sites fine once updated to the combo pack.

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
Hi ALL,

I went ahead and installed the "update" to the updater from the market and it seemed to go fine. Now when I do a manual request to see if there are any new system updates the "No Update - Your device is up to date." looks different.

At first I couldn't find it in the Applications but its listed under "systemupdater" and is showing as Version 2.2 120307.3. Is this the correct updated version?

Thanks,
Gerry

leroybrute

Feb 17, 2012
the update box was updated to a larger box. Take a look in my apps in the market. Open the updater app and it will show you what came with the update.

detz

Jan 3, 2012
Douvie,
Do you know what they mean exactly, when it's said "some app's may be needed to be side loaded"?

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Douvie,
Do you know what they mean exactly, when it's said "some app's may be needed to be side loaded"?
Detz,

I just googled that. Side loading is where you are able to install apps from elsewhere instead of the android market/google play. This is something you cannot do with the iOS system on iphones and iPads. The beauty of android is that this standard with android and there is no need to root your tablet to side load an app.Check TechRepublic - A Resource for IT Professionals