Any negative thoughts on 10" vs 7" tablets

brit5467

Nov 8, 2011
Looking to buy. Honestly, have not been in stores to actually hold any -- but want feedback on 10" tablets. I've read some reviews where people say the 10" is too big to hold with one hand, etc.

Mainly, I'll use mine laying on couch, watching TV and googling or texting. My need for a larger one is cuz I'm older and wear reading glasses for seeing my phone and don't want to have to put them to look at tablet....lol.

sunset0202

Aug 10, 2011
I had the same concerns before buying my 7". 10" are not so much more expensive, depending on the models considered. AND I'm not that young either AND I'm always trying to remember my reading glasses... :) So I did some field research, and experimented as many 7"s and 10"s units as I could put my hands onto.

Bottomline: 10" are really a better visual experience, much easier to surf the net and so on. That issue so often appointed (having to hold it with both hands) didn't disturb me, but it's HEAVY. I can't imagine reading an ebook on a 10"for more than 15 minutes!

I don't regret my choice. I bought a 7" Coby Kyros 7024.

Sorry for the bad English.

Sent from my MID7024 using Android Tablet Forum

brit5467

Nov 8, 2011
Thanks sunset !! But...so even tho you liked the larger display, you opted for the 7"? Can I ask why?

sunset0202

Aug 10, 2011
Because my first purpose in buying a tablet was for reading, and as I told you, 15 minutes reading in a 10" and your arms hurt.

After you get more familiar with the tablet and start exploring other possibilities, maybe your priorities change and the benefits of the larger screen really appeal to you.

For now, the 7 is proving itself quite confortable for reading and even watching movies. But for surfing the web, it can't beat the 10" with multitouch capacitive screen (pinch zoom etc).

brit5467

Nov 8, 2011
Ohhh, I gotcha now. With me, it's mostly laying on couch, holding tiny phone up with both hands close to eyes....lol....so figure with larger screen, I can lean it on my knees propped up. But thanks for your imput. It really makes sense and may be a major deciding factor for me.

Maybe I'll find something just as heavy and flat and 'experiment' while laying there....:p

sunset0202

Aug 10, 2011
Ok. By the way,I may be the only lunatic in the world who has read all 3 volumes of The Lord Of The Rings on a tiny Nokia 5800! God bless the tablets! :))

brit5467

Nov 8, 2011
I'm with ya, girl. I'm hoping I will read more once I get my tablet. Used to read ALL the time but as of late...been slack. BTW, I live at the beach. Find it hard to even see my phone without sticking it down into my beach bag, due to the sun reflection. So how is the display when it comes to being in the sun?? That would be VERY helpful when it comes to decision.

SpeMall.com

Jul 13, 2011

sunset0202

Aug 10, 2011
Well, brit, if using it under sunlight is important for you, think twice. All lcd tablets I've seen so far are almost useless if not indoors... but i've seen many, not all of them of course.

Those e-ink screens we find in dedicated readers like the Kindle are amazing as real paper under bright light, but they are not color screens AFAIK.

With so many different models hitting the market every day, I guess it's worth some searching focused on the display issue, besides size and weight.

WendysSGT

Nov 10, 2011
I have a 7" SGT and love it. I have it in a leather case and it will fit right in to my purse. It goes everywhere with me. I also have a kindle. The kindle is great to read my books outside in the bright sun. I have not tried using the SGT to read my books outside yet, so cant help you there. The 7" is perfect for me. If I have problems reading somehting on the web I just pinch in or out and t works great for me.

I hope that helps a little bit.

Wendy

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
Wendy, that is exactly why my wife got a 7" Tablet. The Acer A100 is an awesome tablet. As Sunset says, if you plan on using it on the beach, any LCD screen is basically useless. I got the Sony S 10" tablet and that eliminates (or greatly reduces) the strain sunset mentioned. Good Luck!

bclinger

Aug 11, 2011
I use my Acer A500 extensively for work purposes, spreadsheets in particular. For data entry with the device on a flat surface, it is great. However, for extended holding/entry, et cetera, the device does get heavy for one-handed use. The type of work I do normally requires 2 hands. So yes, a 7" has its advantages. Over all though, I am happy with the 10" size of the A500.

Unrelated, mine has a cover and due to using it, requires cleaning of the cover and the screen.

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
I had to click on that to see what a 3" tablet looked like.

bigsmiley-1.jpg