Black screen of death, yep I need help...this is embarrassing

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Ok. I was trying to install a Rom with the wrong recovery and it didn't work. I was then going to restore a backup in CWR and wanted to make sure everything was clean so I started with "format boot" it froze and I lost recovery.

Now I believe I have a Nook with nothing on internal memory and no recovery.

I burned a cwr image as per Vic's post but I used a Mac instead to burn an image. When I instert the bootable sdcard there is no response when I try to turn the nook on with any type of button combos.

I have attached pictures. Can you tell me if the files on the bootable sdcard look correct or is there something missing? Is my battery just dead?

$Picture 1.png$Picture 2.png

bratliff

Feb 5, 2011
I did the samething. Do you have acess to windows machine? I did the boot repartition file from samuelhaff over at XDA. It worked i was able ti get back to a nandroid.

I think you are right about the boot image issue.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
There is a good chance it is a dead battery. Depending on how much you were playing with CWR you can use a lot of juice. One other thing you might try besides just charging is plugging into the USB sometimes hooking up to the computer helps bump start the booting.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
I will not have access to a pc till tomorrow unfortunately til when my girlfriend comes down. Do you have the link for that?

Last edited:

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Yea I am going to charge it also and and try plugging it into computer again.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
I was on CWR 3.0.0.5 and and tried to install Ultimate Droid.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
I found samuelhaff's guide. I may try burning nookie froyo to an sdcard and try booting from that. I do not know why my bootable CWR card isn't booting.

bratliff

Feb 5, 2011
I cannot find the link now. It came from samuelhaff i am sure of it. BSOD is what isearched but now i cannot find it. Search XDA lots of people have done it. Sorry i could not find the link.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
I think I found the xda link. My battery could just be dead. If it doesn't boot after charge for a while I am going to try that method. I can burn nookie froyo on a Mac to an sdcard and see if that boots I guess.

*Edit: or I did something wrong when making the bootable sdcard. I have the exact instructions for nookie froyo via Mac to sdcard, so I will try that.

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I was on CWR 3.0.0.5 and and tried to install Ultimate Droid.

So to be clear, flashing UD on CWM recovery 3.0.0.5 doesn't work properly? I've been telling people it could but I haven't tried it myself. I have 3.0.1 installed and don't want to misinform others.

On your issue, why did you format boot?

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
So to be clear, flashing UD on CWM recovery 3.0.0.5 doesn't work properly? I've been telling people it could but I haven't tried it myself. I have 3.0.1 installed and don't want to misinform others.

On your issue, why did you format boot?

UD does not work with 3.0.0.5.

I should have never formatted boot as it usually gets rid of recovery. But if it doesn't freeze like it did to me one can just back up to main recovery menu after. I wanted to format boot and system to ensure the device was absolutley clean before restoring a backup. But really all that is needed is wiping data and cache. I will never format boot or system again.

I think I typed the dd commands in wrong when making a bootable cwr sdcard on the Mac. I am going to try making the nookie froyo bootable card since I have the exact dd code for that and sdcard image for that.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
^ yea, wipe data would have been sufficient. Its sometimes dangerous modifying the recovery area. Since roms don't write in those sections, no need for advance menu options when flashing roms IMO. Thanks for 3.0.0.5 info, going to update the UD thread.

Sir Robin

Jan 22, 2011
I tried to backup my system from ROM Manager instead of backing out to Clockwork and my NC would only boot into recovery, I tried all my restores and tried to install every ROM I could download from zip and nothing. I could boot nookie froyo from sd.

I believe this is the thread I used, I guess it messed up the EMMC memory and that had to be repartitioned/rebuilt, I did this and was back up and running in to time.

[RECOVERY][ZIP] Nook Color Restore to stock - xda-developers

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Thanks for the help everyone. It is still not booting from my bootable nookie froyo sdcard I made on the Mac. I am going to try to burn the img using a pc when it is available to me tomorrow night.