broken glass

yumyum

Jun 9, 2011
Hi friends,
I have a big problem - broke the glass on my A500.Warranty did not cover this and from Acer service center told me that they do not supply replaycment parts and the only choice I have is to replace the tablet at my own expense (buy a new one).Any one know where to buy this glass (ebay didnt find any results).Thank you in advance for your answers.

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
I can't answer your question....and I'm sorry for your misfortune.

How did you break the glass? What did you do? Got pictures?

yumyum

Jun 9, 2011
My girlfriend drop the tablet at un angle and hit the screen.Nothing spectacular - spider webbing on the glass.The lcd works but the touch screen did not respond.

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
I can imagine that when tablets are very popular this type of thing will be very common.

yumyum

Jun 9, 2011
I agree but did not find any threads with my problem on several forums - am I the only one who has such bad luck???On the other hand fo Ipad its a no brainer - ebay and some handy work.

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
I read this happening to someone else just days ago....I just can't find it now...

Sorry...I was reading about a tablet laptop...not this kind of tablet. The terminology has become a bit confusing.

Last edited:

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
It doesn't help now, but next time you buy a warranty, check out squaretrade and pay the extra for accident protection. If something then happens to it you'll have to take $50 out of pocket and that's it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
It isn't just the glass. It's a package that is composed of the touch screen on top of the lcd all covered with gorilla glass.

Since your touch screen is unresponsive that layer is toast too.

That is a major costs item in the tablet. So your best bet is total replacement.

Some credit cards have a warranty feature. If you bought with AMEX you may have a warranty with out even knowing about it.

Plus One for Square Trade warranty accidental damage coverage.

But hey, now you have the perfect reason to open it up and take detailed high resolution photos of the entire internal structure. You might even be able to sell an article about it if your writing skills need a challenge.

wolfganggold

May 11, 2011
If you can be patient, you can probably get a replacement digitizer sometime soon from someplace like repairsuniverse.com. They just don't have acer parts right now but for comparison, an iPad replacement digitizer is $109 or so. Maybe better than buying a whole new unit. I'm sure the replacement procedure is hairy...I know when I replaced the digitizer on my venerable Dell Axim, I basically had to completely disassemble the thing...it's a wonder it worked when I got it back together!

I second the motion for hi-res pics of the inside of your wounded soldier! :)

MrBlazito

May 8, 2011
If you can't wait for a screen replacement to become available, try selling it on ebay for parts. I'm sure someone will grab it.

ScottW714

May 26, 2011
I did the same thing on my iPhone when they first came out.
Take it to one of those shops that repairs phones/laptops, if they can't do it, they probably know who can.
I think it cost $75 for the digitizer and they didn't warranty anything including the repair.
Plus it's good to have a hook-up at one of those places, they can fix/hack anything and usually have a butt load of software they will install for a nominal fee.

It's complicated, I remember they had to take a mini torch to my iPhone to melt some of the adhesive.
A lot of these devises aren't mean for repairs.

I know, snApple, but I don't have it it anymore, gave it to the gf and got a G2.

dhornick

May 12, 2011
I did the same thing on my iPhone when they first came out.
Take it to one of those shops that repairs phones/laptops, if they can't do it, they probably know who can.
I think it cost $75 for the digitizer and they didn't warranty anything including the repair.
Plus it's good to have a hook-up at one of those places, they can fix/hack anything and usually have a butt load of software they will install for a nominal fee.

It's complicated, I remember they had to take a mini torch to my iPhone to melt some of the adhesive.
A lot of these devises aren't mean for repairs.

I know, snApple, but I don't have it it anymore, gave it to the gf and got a G2.

Same with my droid x. But I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say that this is a much bigger issue than an iphone and we are all waiting for a company to produce said digitizier.

brian72

Jun 14, 2011
I have the same misfortune. I just got off the phone with Acer Support 1-800-816-2237 and they are now doing replacement glass. The cost is $199+Tax.
Lucky for me my MasterCard has retail purchase protection and they will be reimbursing me for the repair since it happened within 90 days of purchase.