Can you dumb it down please?

JustMom

Aug 3, 2013
My daughter received a Nextbook for Christmas. I haven't a clue what she can actually do on it. We do not get WiFi at home & I would like to put some games or something on it directly from the computer via USB. Only I have no clue how to actually do that. I am somewhat computer literate, however, I know nothing about tablets; I don't even have the internet on my phone. When I try to search various forums for answers, it's like you all are speaking a foreign language. :)
:confused: :confused: :confused:
Can someone really dumb this down for me? step by step?

Thank you so much!

RovingDutchy

May 6, 2013
When you state you do not have Wi Fi at home does that mean you are not connected to the internet via your computer.
If you are connected to the internet and if you contact your ISP they will possibly supply you with a modem that can enable you to have Wi Fi at home, sometimes this can be at no cost if you sign up for a new contract with your supplier, once you have Wi Fi it is a lot simpler to connect to the internet with your tablet and download various apps.
You can also download apps to your tablet from your computer via the USB lead that came with your tablet.
Cheers
David

JustMom

Aug 3, 2013
No WiFi for tablet.

Yes, internet for computer.

& it's this I need help with: "You can also download apps to your tablet from your computer via the USB lead that came with your tablet"

That's the part I don't know how to do.:eek:

Robyski

Mar 14, 2012
JustMom,

I see a couple options:

1. Take the tablet to a location that has FREE Wi-fi. Somewhere like McDonald's or Starbucks will usually have FREE Wi-fi. You can connect to the Internet using the tablet Wi-fi and download some apps and games directly to the tablet. I believe some of the popular games are available on GetJar. The basic FREE versions should be OK for your tablet since it won't be connecting to the Internet very often. (TIP: If you turn the Wi-Fi OFF on the tablet when you don't need Wi-Fi, it will save the battery.)

2. You can download Android apps, apk files, to another computer or tablet and save them to a micro SD card. I believe your Nextbook has a mico SD card slot? Once you have the apk files on a micro SD card, you can put the SD card in the tablet. The apk files will install the app on the tablet. (TIP: Be very careful where you get .apk files!!! Some of the "Free" apk files out there contain viruses and malware.)

Good luck

Robyski

RovingDutchy

May 6, 2013
I'm no expert, but this is what I do to download an app to my tablet using my computer
I connect the tablet to the computer using the USB lead, turn the tablet on, start my browser, I use Chrome, then do a search for google play store if you have a problem finding this page this is the link to the page for google play store apps https://play.google.com/store/apps?hl=en
You will find there are many apps to choose from in many categories choose any free app to learn how to download app and click on install, in my case the app downloads automatically to my tablet and will be located in with all your other apps.
When I first bought my tablet I bought a Magazine called The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Android I did find this guide very helpful and I am still learning, hope that this has been of some help.
Cheers
David