Cannot Mount Inner SD Card on MID 9742

Joland

Nov 12, 2012
Vampirefo! is it possible to do what you guys do(like modifying custom rom and etc.) with my windows platform?

next concern, could not post on the momo 4.0.4 post. can we do more modifications? like it gets laggy when youre writing so many things on the documents on the go app or do i have to live with it. people who is in office work or business would love that rom and im using it. whats more awesome is that i could play blood and glory with it. hehe

last concern, i keep on getting the "unfortunately com. process.google. gapss" has stopped. did everything xda adviced, no changes. thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaak you!!!!!! (posted from beloved coby mid 8042)

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Windows can be used to modify ROMs, but to build ROMs from source requires Linux. The following tools are all necessary to modify code in Windows.

ADB - Android Debug Bridge, necessary to pull files from the device.
ADB Drivers - Without these, ADB doesn't work.
APKTool - Decompiling and recompiling APKs. Also seems to work for decompiling JAR files but not recompiling.
Baksmali - Decompiling JAR files such as android.policy.jar. The proper tool for the job.
Smali - Compiling JAR files.
Java - The most current version of the runtime, which can be downloaded at java.com.
Notepad++ - Used to edit the actual code. Has some very useful features.
WinRAR - To be able to replace files within an APK or JAR.

Optionally you can also install Cygwin.

You will need a fair bit of time and a decent amount of patience, because you'll be editing files by hand. For example, modifying framework-res.apk to enable network location required me to edit the code in one particular place for each language, in addition to turning on the network location in the first place. Were I running Linux I could have easily applied a patch file to the code and automated the process, but Windows doesn't seem to have that ability. Cygwin might allow you to run a patch file, but I couldn't get it working, and in any case for one file it wasn't worth the hassle.

For a guide on how to decompile and recompile APK files with APKTool, look here. A guide on using Smali/Baksmali can be found here and this post here.

Last edited:

Joland

Nov 12, 2012
Windows can be used to modify ROMs, but to build ROMs from source requires Linux. The following tools are all necessary to modify code in Windows.

ADB - Android Debug Bridge, necessary to pull files from the device.
ADB Drivers - Without these, ADB doesn't work.
APKTool - Decompiling and recompiling APKs. Also seems to work for decompiling JAR files but not recompiling.
Baksmali - Decompiling JAR files such as android.policy.jar. The proper tool for the job.
Smali - Compiling JAR files.
Java - The most current version of the runtime, which can be downloaded at java.com.
Notepad++ - Used to edit the actual code. Has some very useful features.
WinRAR - To be able to replace files within an APK or JAR.

Optionally you can also install Cygwin.

You will need a fair bit of time and a decent amount of patience, because you'll be editing files by hand. For example, modifying framework-res.apk to enable network location required me to edit the code in one particular place for each language, in addition to turning on the network location in the first place. Were I running Linux I could have easily applied a patch file to the code and automated the process, but Windows doesn't seem to have that ability. Cygwin might allow you to run a patch file, but I couldn't get it working, and in any case for one file it wasn't worth the hassle.

For a guide on how to decompile and recompile APK files with APKTool, look here. A guide on using Smali/Baksmali can be found here and this post here.

okay, thanks! will be checking stuff out....

OlivierS

Jul 27, 2013
Hello all. New here and new to rooting and installing ROMS. I have acquired a second hand Coby 9742 and found out that it didn't have Google Play. I ended up in this forum and here's what I did:

Installed the ADB drivers on my Windows 7 machine.
Ran root_restore.bat.
Installed ClockworkMod.
Took a backup after installing cwm.
Installed 9742_Mobiz_V.2. At this point things seemed OK, Play Store worked and I got many applications from a previous tablet re-installed. I then found that Aldiko was not able to open files I had on my external SD card. After a while and trying to reinstal Aldiko I found that the internal SD card was not mounted. (Also upside-down video).
Installed MID9742_Stock.zip with cwm but same problem with internal SD card.
Did a restore of the backup taken with cwm and was back to having a tablet with Android 4.0.3 and no Google Play. But the internal SD card was mounted.
If I keep the original system and install gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip I cannot get Google Play to work. Either it closes straight away or it says 'No connection' and offers a retry button. There is a connection. I receive emails and can browse. I've also tried installing com.android.vending-4.2.3.apk.

I read all 12 pages of this thread and it seems to terminate without a solution. Like the OP I am in the UK. I bought my MID9742 on eBay from an individual in the UK.

Is there a solution to this conendrum? Is it possible to have both the internal SD card (which some apps require, like Aldiko and a camera, to name just 2) and Google Play? I had high hopes to get this working but after 2 long days I am starting to despair!

Thank you very much in advance for any help.

Olivier

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Your first mistake was installing the Mobiz ROM for 9742. It has a bug related to video that has never been corrected. Fortunately, you did read the sticky posts and had made multiple backups so you're back to normal.

As for Google Play, you need to wipe both the Play Store's data as well as the Google Services Framework's data (Settings > Apps) before the Play Store will work. You may possibly have to reboot after you do wipe the data. If push comes to shove you'll have to wipe your Google account off the tablet, then wipe the data of the two apps, then reboot.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Your tablet vold.fstab is most likely different, compare yours to the two roms you tried, and see what the difference is.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
And this is why I should not say the word "never" in a sentence. Inevitably I'll be proven wrong. LOL.

Now I should give the ROM a proper tryout. I'd like to see if it has a snappier response than stock.

OlivierS

Jul 27, 2013
Thanks Traveller1701. As you can see below I am not having much luck. Here is what I did on my last attempt:

1.Restored tablet from after cwm installation.That's the Android 4.0.3 from Coby but rooted.

2.Installed gapps-ics-20120429-signed.

3.Booted up.

4.Removed gmail user.

5.Force closed play and cleared cache. No Google framework in apps.

6.Rebooted.

7.Opened Play.

8.Entered existing gmail account.

9.On screen that says Back up and restore got a notification the "unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped."

10.OKayed that.

11.Could still tap Next.

12.Play Store window opens and says "No connection" in the middle of blank screen. Then another notification that com.google.process.gapps has stopped appeared.

13.Went to Settings|apps.

14.Force stopped Google Play Store and cleared data (28.00KB). No Google framework app.

15.Rebooted.

16.Play Store still says "No connection".

What did I do wrong this time?

OlivierS

Jul 27, 2013
Vampirefo, I copied your new 9742_Mobiz_V.2.zip file to my SD card and installed it on my MID9742. Small problem: it doesn't respond to my touch anymore! Any ideas? I am not sure what to do with boot.zip? The first time I only installed your new Mobiz rom and got the non-responding touchscreen. I tried a second time and installed Mobiz first, followed by boot. Still no touch response at all.

Then I thought maybe I should heed your warning to start from scratch by doing a factory reset first. So I did this and in the same session of cwm I installed mobiz followed by boot. Still no touch :-(

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
touch screen is due to modules, this version is built from my grandson versions his modules are different that the first 9742_Mobiz modules.

basically what you need to do is replace system/vendor/modules with your system/vendor/modules then touch screen will work.

to do this extract 9742_Mobiz_V.2.zip some where navigate to /system/vendor/modules delete everything there now add your /system/vendor/modules rezip and install.

MID9742_stock.zip touch screen works for you? if so i can just make you a patch, you flash via cwm it will replace the system/vendor/modules, you still need to replace vold.fstab with your own or ypload it so we can look at it.

Last edited: