Can't keep the 7015 in sleep mode..^&#(!@*#

bobsilver

Jan 10, 2011
I let my Coby sit last night with Softlocker activated (no sleep). This morning after about 12 hours sitting I had 40% battery left. So my thinking is if you dont mind charging it every night this will be fine. If you plan to not use it for a while (day or so) power it down. So it becomes a lessor of evils. Be annoyed by screen wake ups or know that you need to charge it every night. Which as a rule I do anyway with my phone and iPad.

Well last night I turned off Softlocker and let the Coby sit for the night. It used considerable less power. This morning had 75% left on the battery. So clearly not letting the unit sleep draws more power. I installed JuiceDefender and will see what it does. But at this juncture having Softlocker to kill the screen displays and an easy ability to turn it off when I want longer battery in standby is not bad. The benefit of having the Market far outweigh the disadvantages.

willber

Jan 9, 2011
I posted this comment in the Bloat Ware thread but since I started this thread, I'll post the same comment again;

"I decided to reboot back to the saved rooted image before installing the Market, and guess what, no more problems with the tablet waking up. I may give it a try again to load the Market when I see that the Google Experience of waking up the tablet has been resolved. Maybe a new ROM image by some talented person...."

willber

Jan 9, 2011
Continuing this thread with my observations.

I removed the Market Experience but retained the rooted nature of the tablet. All wake from sleep issues stopped. I did notice maybe twice that the unit did wake up but I believe this is what was originally reported with a stock unit. I can live with that. I observed the tablet for a day.
Now I have loaded in an app from the AppsLib market and sure enough the tablet started to wake up again. Checking Running service, sure enough the app was lurking there. Kill the app and all is quiet.

So now the big question, what the hell is going on with these apps? Are they phoning "home" with all kinds of personnel information? Maybe the phone Androids don't see this issue because being phones they stay asleep. I asked an iPhone user and he indicated that his phone wakes from sleep occasionally. These are early days for this technology and I suspect that miss-use is a huge potential. Be careful with any personal data and certainly do not do any banking on your tablet.
I'm going to take a look at my router traffic when I get home to see if I can identify the nature of this activity.
I hope I'm not being an alarmist.... the apps do tell you about all the "privileges" they have before you install them.

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
I bought my MID7015 to use for internet and games.
My first impression with the requests for permissions was shock! These apps boldly ask for enough permission to add your tablet to a web-bot. And users buy in! Even that nice keyboard app can log all your keystrokes and phone them home.
No way would I ever enter a credit card number on my tablet, not until I get a real OS like Ubuntu on it. That poses a problem with buying ebooks when the host (i.e. Amazon) demands a credit card number to let you see a free book. Haven't solved that yet but I'll buy books on my PC and copy them over if possible. If not I won't buy books for the tablet.

edit added:
I just remembered my router. I have a linksys router using Tomato. There is an option to turn off admin access from a wireless device. I turned it OFF so only a wired connection can make changes to the router.
These "free" games etc are fertile ground to grow all kinds of malware. Hopefully it's young enough that the malware teams are not yet in full swing.

Last edited:

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
A couple of things to keep in mind:
Full internet access is required for all ad-supported applications to download the ads.

Other permissions have equally valid reasons. If you have concerns, contact the dev for an explanation of the permissions. If they won't provide one, they're probably shady...

willber

Jan 9, 2011
Valid points l_n however with all the FREE apps out there, one tends to forget the potential for misuse in the eagerness to get something for "FREE"

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
That's why caveat emptor and tanstaafl are so important to remember... :D

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
In Post #12 xaueious talks about an app that can help save battery life.
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-tablets/6763-wifi-auto-negotiate-2.html
Market search for 'Setting Profiles Lite'
I'm trying it but I don't get the widget. Not sure I've got it set up right yet. Still getting the wake-ups.

Back to the side bar about security. This apk is my new poster-child for wanting it all. And it should be, it's a system settings app. Have a look.

Maybe there are no free lunches but Linux has amazed me with the open source, free and AD-FREE software. Android has the GoogleBar on the home page, banner ads in the apps, slow browser because it's downloading unwanted banner ads, etc. To me the most negative thing of my Android venture is the overwhelming amount of ads. Weak security is second as this is not a business machine. Security is excellent if you don't give permissions to apps (some require none).

willber

Jan 9, 2011
I'll give that a look....Market search for 'Setting Profiles Lite'

Back at it again.
Backed up a non market configuration so I can easily go back to a known stable configuration, loaded the Market Experience, then backed this up.
Now I can jump back and forth, non-market, market. If I need something in the Market, I can get it, save it, and then re-install the non-market experience.
Of course the wake up has started again.
I think this really is a Coby issue. They need to provide a new update that addresses this issue. Once the tablet is in sleep mode, nothing should wake it except a hard button push...period.
If Coby can't (and I suspect the 7015 is old history for them) then can some smart person write an app to keep the tablet in sleep mode. I'd pay $$$$ for this.

troyy0206

Nov 14, 2010
then can some smart person write an app to keep the tablet in sleep mode. I'd pay $$$$ for this.

What he said. Man, if someone wrote an app for this, I'd pay $5-10 for it and I'm sure every other rooted Coby owner would, too. Basically, don't allow the unit to to jack S&*t unless the hard button is pressed. I'm sure most anyone with the skills and knowledge probably owns a better tablet tho.... :-s

willber

Jan 9, 2011
Well we may already have an answer.
I re-read the post regarding Softlocker and decided to try it. It didn't try it before because I was confused about the not sleeping completely issue.
So now it is installed and all wake ups have stopped.
Now regarding the power issue because the unit is not really in sleep mode but "screen saver" mode, use a widget to turn off the Wi-Fi at the end of the day or when not using for long periods, should help with any battery draining issues.
Will report later.... crossing fingers.
If this works, we should flip the Softlocker person some coin.

bobsilver

Jan 10, 2011
My experience with Softlocker has been better then without. I left my tablet sit the other nite with softlocker turned off meaning the tablet could sleep. Had the screen wake ups as usual. After about 15 hours the battery was completely drained. The nite I used softlocker drained about 60% sitting for a similar time. So Softlocker makes for a better situation. Just plug it in every nite.

As a comparison (unfairly I will add) I charge my iPad about 3 times a week.

hdectablet

Jan 17, 2011
!!!!try this hold the power button down and choose power down, then on the next pop up do not choose ok or cancell, hit the power button again for it to go to sleep, when the tablet wakes it should be at the power down prompt. I did this at 10am and i didn't notice any wake ups and i had 96% battery when i woke it at 1:30. Fyi I also have wifi turned off when the tablet goes to sleep. Let know if this worked for anyone.
Hdectablet

Sent from my kyros 7015 using Android Tablet Forum App

hdectablet

Jan 17, 2011
I did this again today and the results were not as good, so I don't really know if this worked.

Sent from my kyros 7015 using Android Tablet Forum App