CM10 for Coby 8042

Freek2010

Dec 24, 2012
wet can choose to release the CM10 or not. That way I don't have to provide support for it as I wont be releasing it. I may also sell the 8042 as a dual boot unit as well.[/QUOTE]

How much u looking to get for 7042

Mar 17, 2013
Hi all,

I can't make this works. I followed all the instructions on OP but when I finally reboot, it goes to a black "on" screen.

A few notes, I used GParted on Ubuntu to partition my card and made sure they weren't 100% full before pushing images and zip files.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rafael

Mar 17, 2013
I fixed it. This might sound weird but I only inverted the boot image selection. What I mean is I mounted my partitions as follows

mount -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 /system

mount -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /data

and then I used cm10_8042_p3.zip (instead of the suggested cm10_8042_p2.zip)

I'm not saying that the instructions are wrong or anything. I'm just sharing what worked for me with other people with similar issues.

Thanks Vampirefo for this ROM, it's awesome.

Best,
Rafael

Molikai1988

Apr 27, 2013
This is a prerequisite post for CM10 for 8042.
1. you need a sdcard
2. you need to partition the sdcard
3. sdcard needs to have three partitions, 1.fat 2 ext4 partitions
4. you need to be rooted.
5. you need cwm recovery installed.
6. you need to have adb setup and working
7. you need to determine which partition on sdcard is going to be used /systemii
8. you need to determine which partition on sdcard is going to be used for /data
9. the /system partition should be at least 500MB, I recommend 1024MB or 1GB
10. the /data partition should be at least 1024MB I recommend 2048MB or 2GB can be larger

AnTuTu bench test custom with sdcard unselected.

Slideshow of CM10 pics
ImageShack(TM) slideshow

For Linux users just use gparted to partition the sdcard.

For windows users below is a guide, you would need to add one more partition than this guide has, but none the less it shows you what to do and what tool to use.
SD card partitioning - XDA-Developers

Once you partitioned your sdcard, boot into recovery

You should make a backup before you install cm10.

adb shell

mount -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /data

busybox df -h

now look at your Used Available for /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 and /dev/block/mmcblk0p2

the partition mount as /data should be larger than the one mounted by /system.

if /system partition is larger then umount both

umount /dev/block/mmcblk0p3

umount /dev/block/mmcblk0p2

then switch mount points

mount -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /system

mount -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 /data

now /data partition should be larger than /system partition

there will be two boot.img one is for /data mounted on /dev/block/mmcblk0p2

the other is for /data mounted on /dev/block/mmcblk0p3

so you need to know where your /data is mounted before flashing boot.img

If your /data is mounted on /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 use this boot.img

cm10_8042_p3.zip

If your /data is mounted on /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 use this boot.img

cm10_8042_p2.zip

This is CM10 for Coby 8042

1jb8042_system - Download - 4shared

To install, you have to already done the prerequisites, now choose your boot.img either cm10_8042_p2.zip or cm10_8042_p3.zip place it on your sdcard, now download 1jb8042_system.tar place it on your sdcard, reboot to recovery.

in mount options on cw recovery choose mount /sdcard, format /cache mount /cache
adb shell
or
mount -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /system

depending on which boot.img you choose.

busybox tar -xvf /sdcard/1jb8042_system.tar

once finished close terminal choose install zip from sdcard
choose the boot.img you downloaded install then reboot.

Once cm10 is installed and working you can then add scripts to run as dual boot.

I run dual boot with CM9 and CM10

You need to already have CM9 installed

to do this you need two scripts one goes in /system/bin on CM9 and CM10, you also need to create a folder on your sdcard called.

dual_boot

inside the dual-boot folder place cm9 and cm10 boot.img

then download these scripts place reboot-cm9 into cm10 /system/bin

place reboot-cm10 into cm9 /system/bin chmod 755 both.

then if you want to switch OS open terminal

su

reboot-cm10

or

reboot-cm9

dual_boot_scripts.zip

if you are using cm10_8042_p3.zip then you need to edit reboot-cm10 script and add a 1 to boot_ds.img every time you see boot_ds.img change it to 1boot_ds.img then save.

Note this cm10 hasn't been updated since first posted, it doesn't include 4.2

Maybe we could try this?:

$Solution.png
***EDIT!!!
Whoops! I meant to say formatting nandi (virtual sd) to ext4 and mount /data here while moving /sdcard's mount to nandd (old system's place) which is only a mere 512MB based partition. Of course this is all reversible with no data loss assuming proper back-ups were made!

Last edited by a moderator:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
In my opinion this wont work, from my understand of android which is Linux, I can't see this as a working alternative.

The OS wont be able to read or write to and internal sdcard formatted to ext4, it can read and write to an external sdcard that's why I put both system and data on sdcard, no damage to tablet, you are more than welcome to try your ideal, I don't think you are going to like the results.

I just posted my opinion, I am not trying to discourage you in anyway, if you can make this work, and it's less work then setting up a sdcard go for it, to me it doesn't seem to be a good choice, with sdcard method one can daul boot, or remove the sdcard completely and have a normal tablet.

Anyway good Luck.

Molikai1988

Apr 27, 2013
So far I have gotten the /system and /data to switch mounts but this may need init.d scripts to stick. You are probably right. BUT...I will still try...and have the dual boot set up just in case a full revert is needed. Thank you still for providing so much help! The sheer amount i have learned and picked up about this tablet in such a short time is largely due to the level of clean your code is. HTC was actually somewhat more difficult to learn largely due to the devices being so resiliant that devs have to use so much less care as the HTC devices tend to so much harder to brick due to the HBoot they have. :p Never the less I will try and report back with instructions if successful!

Molikai1988

Apr 27, 2013
Well I did it...finally. Now the issue is getting the mounts to stick past 1 reboot. The cm10 will also need to understand where exactly to load stuff from. I did modify what I could to try to for the most part to help it find out that system was now located somewhere else (see attached Image) but the end result was loss of root, permission errors, and read-only fs. I am happy to report though no damage was done to the tablet itself. So maybe 35% yay! and 65% oh crap...
$mounts.png
the reason mnt/sdcard is blank is this would be different for everyone based on what size of a sdcard they put in their tab...so to lessen confusion essentially.

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Just running from sdcard would be simpler, this requires a lot of work, data partition is mounted nosuid, so no root, people who can't format a sdcard will be lost with this method.

jasonch

May 16, 2013
Hello vampirefo! My Coby Kyros MID8042 already has 1gb:2gb system:data storage space, which one will I download so that I can just install zip file in recovery mode? Thank you! Great work!

Ricky405jr

Feb 23, 2013
So I'm looking forward's in installing CM10.

what would happen if booted up in cm10 and the microSD card is removed?

Ricky405jr

Feb 23, 2013
well that anyone would be the kids of my sisters playing around heheheheh
seriously I'm a bit nervous on installing CM10

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
The damage would be confined to the sdcard, just as it would be to the hard drive of your computer, worst case you have a damaged sdcard, you need to buy another one, most likely nothing would happen except the tablet would freeze, become unresponsive and reboot.

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Android Tablet

Ricky405jr

Feb 23, 2013
If that's the case then I'm going to do something that the microSD card slot doesn't show up. Hmmm duct tape it!!!!. or maybe get an case for my tablet that doesn't show that part, in case someone else takes it out.