Coby Kyros Mid7012-4G

JohnK11

Nov 27, 2011
P. C. Richard online still have the 7012 for 79.99 + 5 shipping--though I don't know for how much
longer. I ordered a 2nd one yesterday (the first
one got here in 3 days and I have already given it away--like I gave
away the $99 and 88 ones from Fry's). Hopefully, it will be reliable beyond the
70+ hours I have with them.

das_bc

Dec 3, 2011
Yes I've tried strictly enabling plugins in the browser and yes that apk was one of the ones I tried.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Then I don't know what to do next... Hopefully someone with a 7012 will chime in and give you further help.

R.Latch

Dec 3, 2011
I can't wait ti try this, I just got my 7012 yesterday and i was super excited to try to get this thing working, i've been up and down you tube to try and find a way to get the market - thanks for this - ive since then found Freeware Lovers: The Best Things in Life are FREE which i can get what ever app I want so far they've had everything I need also snappzmarket.com is another (on this one I found the honeycomb launcher) and have been using that for a bit and it seems pretty smooth, as for the flash problem i've downloaded flash. 10.0 from the freewarelovers site and skyfire for my flash problems idk how well they will work but i'm hoping that it will be decent @ the very least (i have an ipad2 and use nothing but the skyfire app for that) i'm dying to try and get the Cm7 mod on this b i...good luck and thanks again! @snuffy47​

Dec 5, 2011
i bought one of these yesterday and the touch screen was unresponsive so i took it back and exchanged it. just opened up my replacement and the screen is all rainbow and unusable. hopefully my replacement tomorrow will work. kinda peeved considering they are $129 at the only place that sells them in town. unless someone knows what else i can do. pretty sure it is toast though. i can show a video if necessary.

xxBrun0xx

Nov 27, 2011
Honeslty, i wouldnt worry about flash player. If you do get it to run, its not going to br pretty. Plus, what do you really need flash for? I think the best use for this tab is using its excellent wifi and big screen to remote into your computer. Jump desktop ftw :)

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Agreed. Most decent video sites support HTML5 now. Flash is dead.

das_bc

Dec 3, 2011
I agree that HTML5 is the future, but flash is still the now and I have a few sites that aren't big enough to have the resources to move their legacy flash only workflow to an HTML5 workflow capable of supporting the plethora of HTML5 video standards -- plus its not like I have any ability to sway their decision to do so. I don't expect it to have great performance, but choppy video is just fine for what I need it for.

GerrittP

Dec 6, 2011
So, I have followed all of the steps to root my Kyros 7012 as laid out on this thread. When I get to the last step, after clicking "root" on super one click, everything just seems to hang up. Here is a cut and paste of what super one click is trying to do when it stops before finishing rooting:

mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock2 /system > /data/local/tmp/output 2>&1

export TEMPRANDOM=47482

export PS1=END:$TEMPRANDOM;cat /data/local/tmp/output

mount: Operation not permitted

END:47482

This is just a short bit from the end, I can include more if it would help. If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

GerrittP

Dec 6, 2011
Another piece of info that might help, "Shell Root" worked. As I understand it this is only until next reboot so...

Dec 5, 2011
Actually, without rooting, my 7012 is able to run angry birds full speed no problems. Im really impressed with this thing.

New things Ive done:
Install Zeam launcher (so fast!)
Using Swapper (not swapper2, which i couldnt make work)
Using cputuner (over overclock widget. Muuuuuch better!)
Opera mini (Id bet its faster than the ipad2 at browsing the web)
BatteryCalibration (this w/ cputuner turning wifi off on lock + getting rid of phone.apk gives this incredible battery life. Mines been on for almost 48 hours now, no charging!)

This sucker has really impressed me. Its got more balls than tablets twice its price with only a little bit of work and the resistive screen has kind of grown on me (im used to an ipod touch).

So if you can pick one up for $70 like i did, buy it. Worth every penny :)

Sent from my MID7012 using Android Tablet Forumy

how did you get rid of the phone.apk? i am an ios guy and this is my first android experience

retired

Nov 29, 2011
superclick 2.3 is now out and supposedly it will install the driver for you. I used version 2.2 on my coby 7016 but I had to install the driver myself which involved modifying the android_winusb.inf file to recognize my tablet. After the mod, it rooted with no problem.

GerrittP

Dec 6, 2011
@retired, thank you for the response. I am using super one click 2.3. I'm not sure what the problem is. I was hoping that someone wiser than me would read the error message and be able to help. I'm not too experienced at this stuff but I've "lurked" long enough to know the ropes. Seems that no one else is having similar issues so it's obviously something that I have/haven't done. Any input or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Pamster

Nov 14, 2011
Yeah that's sounds like it's a definite defective unit SumCanadianGuy. Hopefully they will have yet one more you can try. Don't give up on it, it's a nice tablet from what people say once you get some things on it working that aren't factory installed. Welcome to you and to you too R.Latch, glad you both could join us! :D