DISCUSSION - Development Index and Root Utility

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
The root utility works for Allwinner and VI Micro chips only. At this time, it doesn't support Telechips chips, which is why I posted a link to another root tool to try, in the same thread.

It pays to read the entire post.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I'll answer you in that thread since I don't want to clutter this one any further.

munkie986

Nov 28, 2012
So I am having an issue with my Coby Kyros (8042);

I tried rooting it using the method in this thread:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...yros-8042-rooted-google-apps-google-play.html
All (seemingly) went well, was able to get the rom downloaded, and the update (according the livesuite) was successful.

After reading more I now realize that was a bad choice due to it using livesuite -.-

Anyways, the issue at hand!
My tablet is now stuck in a fun boot loop,

<state off>
Press power button

'Coby' Screen
flash screen off
'Coby' Screen
'Android' logo screen
<state off>

And at this point, i'm not quite sure how to continue, do I just simply return it and get a new one, or is this still recoverable? I have not yet tried with the methods you have listed for rooting in this thread because of your disclaimer, but with how the tablet is atm, to me, it is essentially bricked ~ won't actually boot past the android logo >.>.
~~~

Steps that I have tried so far to fix this;

1: using the tiny "Reset" button
Result: still doesn't boot past android

2: Re-flashing using livesuite (using the ROM in sokar311's thread)
Result: same, livesuite says it's successful, yet the tablet does not boot past the android logo.

~~ Any help that you could offer would be very much appreciated, thank you in advanced for your time. :)
~Munkie986.

208Byerly

Nov 28, 2012
Traveller1701-

Will you be creating a walk through for cm10 on 8042 similar to that of cm9?

I realize that Vampirefo has created a walk through, but like many others I am not familiar with Linux. I may be completely off-base with the difficulty of following Vampirefo's instructions, but I successfully rooted and installed cm9 on my 8042 using your instructions with no problems whatsoever, so it would be much appreciated if the same was available for cm10. I can obviously partition the sdcard with no complications, but when it gets to the code portion I'm lost.

Thanks in advance!

flippa

Nov 28, 2012
Hi I'd just like to big you guys up because thanks to your guides I have managed to successfully root and flash my 9742 and all is great except the camera doesn't work can you help? Once again a I big thanks:)

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Bulk replies:

@munkie986: If you're bootlooping, exchange it for a new one and when you get the new one, don't use Livesuite! There is a reason why I have a second sticky post which in large friendly letters says that Livesuite is obsolete.

@woosel1: Yes, if you want to use the flashable zip. It is possible to install the Google apps without having ClockworkMod installed, but it's more work.

@208Byerly: It is unlikely. Unless mistaken there are certain steps that can only be completed on a Linux box.

@flippa: This isn't the place to discuss camera problems. There is already a thread regarding problems with the 9742 on the forum, thus you might want to search for it and ask your question there.

ryuji296

Nov 30, 2012
i have coby kyros mid 7032 and i always get the error :
failed to copy 'su' to '/system/bin/su' permission denied

EDIT:

any responds to my problem?? please.

samkamer

Nov 29, 2012
Greetings !

Thank you for your excellent effort here.
With the foundation of the information and scripts provided here, a lot of trial and error and a bit of luck, I was successfully able to root the Coby 7036-4. I created a system dump, but the boot.img, bootloader.img and recovery.img files are 0 bytes. Only the system.tgz is 125MB. Is that a valid dump then ?

Here is a brief description of what worked and what did not.

1. Google drivers for ADB:
The instructions by Traveller1701 were very helpful here. I was installing the drivers on Win XP and had to go into device manager to get the instance id and hardware id and add those to the inf file before the drivers could be recognized and installed. The lines I added to the inf were -

; Coby Kyros MID 7036
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_DEED
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_deed&MI_01

2. Running the root utility from this pinned thread - attempt 1:
At first I thought that 7036 would be a 703x tablet and hence ran the root utility from this thread with the 703x option. The rooting method used in that option did NOT work on the 7036. There were a couple of issues with the codepath of that option. First the copying of su and Superuser.apk failed since both those were under the 'data' sub-dir and the 'push' expected them to be in current directory on the local PC. Then when that was fixed, since rooting had not worked, the other commands failed.

3. Running the script by jjjacer on this thread for rooting:
This attempt also went through multiple failures described on that thread by others. After fixing the fixable script issues, I still could not get the rooting to work and was stuck again. The remount did not work.

4. Running the root utility from this pinned thread - attempt 2:
Since the instructions did not explicitely call out 7036 as supported and reading elsewhere on the forum that the 7036 processor may not be supported, I was not sure about the 'Other third generation tablets option. But after following the codepath for that in the script I discovered the mempodroid. Researching on that I found a tool on another site to confirm the parameters values needed by mempodroid for the 7036. They actually turned out to be the same ones as already used in the script. So then I ran it with the 7042 option. It did not show me any error, but the 7036 was still not rooted.

5. Manually running mempodroid:
Finally I ran the mempodroid from adb shell directly and voila, got the root prompt !! Attempting to run the root.sh from there still failed. I am guessing it was because of the shell, but not sure. Then running all the commands in the root.sh one by one from the prompt worked fine.

6. Getting Google Play and gapps:
From here on it was smooth sailing. Moving the install files from jjjacer's script to the 7036 and then executing the install-gapps script worked like a charm.

After 4 hours of fun with thisk, I am going to bed happy !!

Thanks Again to all of you wonderful people !!

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
@samkamer: You're rooted. However the system dump part of the utility is configured primarily with Allwinner tablets in mind. Boot.img, bootloader.img and recovery.img are in a different location on your tablet.

@ryuji296: I am limited in the help I can provide as I don't have your tablet. In fact, Coby themselves don't list your tablet on the website.

Try the test root procedure and see if that works better for you.

tanllwyth

Nov 25, 2012
Greetings !
5. Manually running mempodroid:
Finally I ran the mempodroid from adb shell directly and voila, got the root prompt !! Attempting to run the root.sh from there still failed. I am guessing it was because of the shell, but not sure. Then running all the commands in the root.sh one by one from the prompt worked fine.

I get to root@android screen in my command prompt and it will not accept keyboard instructions at that point with the mempodroid. Any thoughts on that?