[ROM] Custom ROM for Coby Kyros 9742 - rooted, deodexed, Google Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
My questions for the day today are these:

1. Would one of you be willing to share your framework-res.apk, as that is the file where the network location fix resides?

2. Alternately, what tools can I use to open the .IMG file? I've done a fair amount of searching and it's giving me a headache. :)

EDIT: Regarding question 1, if you still wish to share I would appreciate it. However I went and compiled my own copy, based on my framework-res.apk. Still curious about question 2.

Last edited:

a.elmalah91

Jun 25, 2012
hey guys, I applied the rooting and it worked well for me. Except for one tiny problem, which is thec camera that gives me "failed to connect" every time I try to open it. I also try to apply the stoke image again but with out any difference, still failed to connect. Any ideas about that?

Shini

Jun 5, 2012

Gretchen333

Jun 28, 2012
Just wanted to thank everyone here for the great information! I uploaded the custom ROM to get the Google Play store, and ended up with the mirror image screen problem that Shini describes above. With the help of Shini and Vampire in the other thread (also linked above) my [developer] husband was able to get it all up and running for me - and he also banned me from ever doing anything like this to another piece of hardware ever again! ha!

So I've now got the Coby Kyros 9742 running ICS with the custom ROM adding the Google Play store and apps. My only question is - is it supposed to be THIS slow? Seems very sluggish but it's my first tablet so maybe that is just how they are?

Thank you!!!! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

RolandTD

Jul 2, 2012
Sorry if im off topic here but how do i root my kyros 9742 and flash clockwork mod....im a noob to flashing tablets

eaa628

Jan 23, 2011
went through and flashed it then replaced the drivers everything works great but i have noticed the battery indicator while charging never moves.... has anyone else noticed this issue ?

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I still have no idea why GooglePlay store complains that the device is incompatible. I certainly would prefer getting apps from a trusted source than from some unknown web site.
I know this is in response to an old post, but the reason why Google Play is reporting that Maps is incompatible is some files are missing from /system/etc/permissions in this ROM. Try downloading Facebook or Angry Birds and the tablet will complain. I found this out from a user on Slatedroid who fixed the problem by copying the missing files from AOSP source into his permissions directory. The missing files can be downloaded from Slatedroid if you have an account there, or from the post I made in this thread, where I provide the files and my build.prop.

As an update to my request for framework-res.apk, I am renewing that request as my copy of framework-res.apk didn't work properly on my tablet. It caused the device to lag to an unacceptable degree. I would like to see if the copy steev compiled is any better.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Even though his custom ROMs are based off my dump, I haven't tried them. I have no real need to do so. The custom ROMs concentrate mostly on including the Google apps in the package rather than installing them through Clockworkmod, like with Cyanogenmod. But I don't think you're seeing where I'm going here. Steev's ROM has a fixed framework-res.apk to allow network location to work. I compiled my own copy based off my pristine apk, installed it and lagged horribly. I wanted to see if Steev's would work better.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Even though his custom ROMs are based off my dump, I haven't tried them. I have no real need to do so. The custom ROMs concentrate mostly on including the Google apps in the package rather than installing them through Clockworkmod, like with Cyanogenmod. But I don't think you're seeing where I'm going here. Steev's ROM has a fixed framework-res.apk to allow network location to work. I compiled my own copy based off my pristine apk, installed it and lagged horribly. I wanted to see if Steev's would work better.
My framework-res.apk is aslo fixed to allow network location to work. if you want Steev's, download his rom and disassemble it and get the framework-res.apk.
or you can use this. http://www.flashmyandroid.com/forum...NetworkLocation-service-in-Allwinner-ICS-ROMs

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
I didn't know yours had it since it wasn't advertised. At the same time I could have asked you. In any event I would prefer to use yours since who knows what else Coby changed since the base ROM Steev used besides touchscreen drivers.

EDIT: I used the flashmyandroid link to create my own framework-res.apk. I had to have done something wrong though if I had lag.

EDIT 2: I no longer need the framework-res.apk. I compiled another copy and manually installed it with success. Detailed in http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...lly-replace-framework-res-apk-stock-roms.html

Last edited:

cyrius

Apr 25, 2012
Flashed the custom rom 2 months ago. The wifi connection is not very steady. have to reboot several time the tablet (9742). The log shows :
07-19 13:59:01.099: ERROR/WifiHW(160): insmod /system/vendor/modules/bcm40181_dhd.ko firmware_path=/system/vendor/modules/bcm40181_fw.bin nvram_path=/system/vendor/modules/bcm40181_nvram.txt firmware failed!
07-19 13:59:01.099: DEBUG/WifiHW(160): Unable to unload driver module "dhd": No such file or directory
07-19 13:59:01.099: ERROR/WifiStateMachine(160): Failed to load driver!
07-19 13:59:01.099: ERROR/WifiStateMachine(160): DriverFailedState
Any idea ?

Status
Not open for further replies.