DISCUSSION - Development Index and Root Utility

alanhagg

Mar 31, 2013
First post... I have a 1042 brick named Coby. I followed the CWM installation instructions to the letter, but having gone through this thread, see that I pulled a NONGEEK and renamed the ZIP , rather than the .img file... So is there a solution? I think I have tried every button combination there is (vol-/pwr, vol-/pwr/silver, reset/silver, reset/silver/pwr, al four buttons with reset...) to get into the root, and all it does is tell me it's name. Am I outta luck, or is there something else...

Last edited:

alanhagg

Mar 31, 2013
Crazy thought: What about a physical dis-assembly. Is there electronic access once opened? I know there is a video for this, but haven't watched, so I don't know if it would serve... I'm thinking "flash", or (shudder) "shock"... Next, do you think Coby honors brick replacements, or will I have to just drop a whole new purchase? Not expecting miracles, but I can hope...

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Don't mention to Coby or the place you bought it from that you attempted to root and you shouldn't have an issue getting a replacement.

nybs31

Apr 8, 2013
Anyone have a clue why I lose root after I reboot my MID7042-4? I used the root utility posted by Traveller1701 in the Development Index and Root Utility thread and also the root utility located here http://XXXXXXXforums.com/mid7042-all-things-root/560545-kyros-7042-windows-root-cmw-recovery.html I have successfully installed CWM by not rebooting the tab after rooting and then using Traveller's recovery utility and I also have successfully installed the rom located here http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...mobiz-v-2-modified-work-coby-7042-8042-a.html I also have created and posted a dump in the requesting dumps thread. But I cannot keep root after a reboot. Even though I have the superuser app still showing on my tab after a reboot, I use android terminal emulator app and run the "su" command and it tells me "permission denied." But if I run the root utility to root and do not reboot my tab, I can successfully run the "su" command in the android terminal emulator app. Anyone know what I am doing wrong or what I can do to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance.

samersh

Sep 11, 2012
Anyone have a clue why I lose root after I reboot my MID7042-4? I used the root utility posted by Traveller1701 in the Development Index and Root Utility thread and also the root utility located here http://XXXXXXXforums.com/mid7042-all-things-root/560545-kyros-7042-windows-root-cmw-recovery.html I have successfully installed CWM by not rebooting the tab after rooting and then using Traveller's recovery utility and I also have successfully installed the rom located here http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...mobiz-v-2-modified-work-coby-7042-8042-a.html I also have created and posted a dump in the requesting dumps thread. But I cannot keep root after a reboot. Even though I have the superuser app still showing on my tab after a reboot, I use android terminal emulator app and run the "su" command and it tells me "permission denied." But if I run the root utility to root and do not reboot my tab, I can successfully run the "su" command in the android terminal emulator app. Anyone know what I am doing wrong or what I can do to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance.
update su binary every time you reboot the tablet, or install superuser pro and change setting of superuser

nybs31

Apr 8, 2013
update su binary every time you reboot the tablet, or install superuser pro and change setting of superuser

There is no other way to permanently root the tab except by upgrading to superuser pro? Thanks for the help but there has to be a way to permanently root this bad boy.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
At the core, both root utilities are the same, utilizing the same commands and the same software. The only difference is that I tried to provide extra information as the process moves along. The author of that thread you linked to acknowledges that there is a problem with his batch file passing along the su binary.

Try rooting the tablet again, but this time try using what I provide here as it doesn't have a problem with copying the su binary to where it belongs.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
There is no other way to permanently root the tab except by upgrading to superuser pro? Thanks for the help but there has to be a way to permanently root this bad boy.

You shouldn't be having problems with root, use Traveller1701 root method, it's easier to provide help, or solve problems when a user uses the methods from this forum.

nybs31

Apr 8, 2013
First of all I want to thank you both Traveller1701 and Vampirefo. for all your helpful information and your hard work and making our tablets useable. Or tablets would be junk without you guys. Secondly, I did run your root utility Traveller1701 multiple times with the supplied ADB drivers. The utility would say that the rooting process was complete and the superuser apk was on my tab but when I tried a dump, it got to the system part of the dump process and it threw an error something like "su-access denied" and no files were created in the dump folder on the internal memory or the dump folder on the p.c. I have read through the steps multiple times to make sure I was doing everything correctly. Also I just wanted to mention when I tried to update the binary in the superuser apk installed by your root utility, it would force close and not update. I also rebooted the tab after the root process said it was complete as you stated to do. The only way I was able to root the tab was the other way that I previously described. Then and only then after that process completed I used your dump utility Traveller1701 and was able to successfully pull a dump which I posted in the dump thread. Maybe something is different with my tab than other MID7042-4's. Thank you both for your help in solving this issue.

Last edited:

iugo2001

May 6, 2013
i can't root m coby 7035,
i receive error : cannot start "su":no such file or directory
can help me?
thanks

thepuke

May 13, 2013
Thanks for the great instructions; I've successfully rooted and installed Google Apps on a friend of a friend's MID1042, and I'm uploading the dump file now to post a link in the appropriate thread. I have experience with ADB/fastboot and flashing custom recoveries and ROMs on many devices, but I did run into an odd problem on this one.

Everything went smoothly, all the way to the point of installing the GApps update from Goo.IM, but I accidentally rebooted the tablet before I cleared the Cache & Dalvik Cache (which I always do after applying an update zip, just for safety's sake). Everything now seems to work fine, but I can't for the life of me get back into CWM: no combination of key presses on boot will load the recovery, and even typing reboot recovery from ADB or the terminal will simply reboot the tablet back into Android instead of the recovery ("reboot bootloader" commands do the same, restarting into Android rather than the bootloader). From what I can tell, the batch file provided should flash CWM, not just temporarily boot into CWM once and then revert to stock recovery... is that accurate?

I didn't try re-flashing CWM recovery, as all the owner of the tablet wanted was to have Google Play installed... so I figured I'd leave well enough alone and stop messing with it at that point.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
The batch file flashes the recovery image to the tablet. It doesn't temporarily install it and then wipe it, so even if you can't get back into it, you should still have it on there. Now I'm not positive on this one, but I believe the tablet would not boot if the recovery image was missing, so you must have CWM installed.

One quick tip that may help you get into recovery. Try the key combinations on battery power, and plug in the AC adapter afterward. I personally found that it was far more difficult to get into recovery on AC power than it was to get in while on battery.

thepuke

May 13, 2013
The batch file flashes the recovery image to the tablet. It doesn't temporarily install it and then wipe it, so even if you can't get back into it, you should still have it on there. Now I'm not positive on this one, but I believe the tablet would not boot if the recovery image was missing, so you must have CWM installed.
Thanks for the info. I agree with you... I don't think the tablet would boot without a recovery image, but I wondered if the apparent absence of a recovery (i.e., booting directly into Android) was actually the stock recovery image. I just can't understand why even the ADB "reboot recovery" command would restart the tablet but not into recovery.

One quick tip that may help you get into recovery. Try the key combinations on battery power, and plug in the AC adapter afterward. I personally found that it was far more difficult to get into recovery on AC power than it was to get in while on battery.
I didn't want to keep the tablet longer than necessary, so I can't try this. If he has any issues with it, I'm sure he'll bring it back to me, and I can post results on here at that point. Thanks again for all of the work you put into this tutorial.

Tawer

Nov 9, 2013
Hi there. I have a coby 1042 bought it last week and now I wanna root it and install google play but I read this:
Warning: All Coby Generation 3 tablets with files built in 2013 or later should not attempt to install a custom recovery, custom boot image, or custom ROM. Doing so at this time will irrecoverably brick the tablet. Coby has implemented a procedure in the firmware that locks down the nand flash in the tablets if the tablet firmware is modified in any way.

If you have not made a system dump and provided us with a copy of the stock recovery from one of these tablets, do not attempt to customize the tablet using the procedures in this post! Rooting the tablet is not affected by the nand lock.

so basically that means I can't install the cwm and google play, right? can you help me with this? I didn't make system dump or anything so if you want
a copy stock recovery I think I can provide it to you, just tell me want to.

one more thing I tried using the key combinations to get into recovery cause some people had a hard time with it so I wanted to test it but it didn't work.
Although I don't have cwm so is this the problem or I should be able to reach recovery without cwm?

Thanks.