Do NOT Buy The Acer Case!

docfreed

Dec 4, 2010
The morons at Acer designed a case that covers up the microphone (if the mic is truly where other posters have said - located between the screen and the bexel on the upper side!

Jento

May 2, 2011
The morons at Acer designed a case that covers up the microphone (if the mic is truly where other posters have said - located between the screen and the bexel on the upper side!

Even if the mic is covered, the sound is not muffled and the mic can hear my voice as clear without the case...

Do you have the case? are you having problems?

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
I agree. I tested the microphone both with the case on, and the case off. I found no difference. Both recordings were slightly muffled and neither transcribe dictation super well (as compared to Droid X) but the microphone works satisfactorily for me, both with and without case.

I don't know where the mictophone is, but I question whether or not it really lies on landscape-top.

docfreed

Dec 4, 2010
Yes, I did try it and my voice was muffled, BUT the holes on the back could be a microphone [in fact, dual stereo as per the specs] - that would make more sense ala the case design and explain why my voice is muffled in recording.

It would have been nice if Acer had given us a more thoughtful diagram of the Iconia.

pwalt

Dec 1, 2010
I personally think the Acer case is cheaply made, not well thought out and overly priced. But ... others around here seem to like it for whatever reason.

To the OP: A "Do NOT buy ..." post would generally be followed by a "it will damage..."

Just because you don't like a product doesn't mean it doesn't fill someone else's need. Unless it actually is dangerous I won't tell someone not to buy something, I will inform them of what I see to be the downsides to the product.

I don't use the microphone ... at least not yet ... I could care less whether it's covered up.

I will use the MicroSD card slot (when a decent photo editing program is developed) ... so I really want a case that has that opening.

AQ_OC

May 14, 2011
I think the case is over-priced, but I haven't seen another option that also provides a stand that is as inexpensive. Frankly, I think the case is ok. I'd give it a C+. As for protection, the only protection I expect is against scratches....dropping protection is an expensive and heavy affair, and the tab is already too heavy.

Last edited: