Hello - my first post and initial foray into tablets

maildrop

Mar 21, 2011
Same here fred. I'm not having any luck downloading it

were you able to use any internet function at all?

if yes, go to Market and type "ASTRO" and "systinf" for the applications. install astro first. then proceed to install sysinf.

if no, you have to enable wifi function first. go to wireless network under settings to enable wireless internet. you can connect internet through nic card port as well.
Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

Last edited:

fred

Mar 25, 2011
Under settings there is a box you can check for downloading unofficial or unrecognized apps, do you have that box selected? YES

I can surf the web so internet is working. If yes, go to Market and type "ASTRO" and "systinf" for the applications. install astro first. then proceed to install sysinf.

Go to which Market?

If I go to appbrain where I have an account I don't see anywhere to download/install the appbrain application - clicking the link in the email I received doesn't take me to an install, just an info page.

Going to Google where I have an account, doesn't give me any app download/install links either.

maildrop

Mar 21, 2011
Under settings there is a box you can check for downloading unofficial or unrecognized apps, do you have that box selected? YES

I can surf the web so internet is working. If yes, go to Market and type "ASTRO" and "systinf" for the applications. install astro first. then proceed to install sysinf.

Go to which Market?

If I go to appbrain where I have an account I don't see anywhere to download/install the appbrain application - clicking the link in the email I received doesn't take me to an install, just an info page.

Going to Google where I have an account, doesn't give me any app download/install links either.[/QUOTE

there is an icon in the application list (not home screen but application icon List) called "market" - Android Market.

to touch that icon will lead you to sign in with a gmail accout before you can search Android Market applications.

fred

Mar 25, 2011
i don't have an application icon list - only icons i have are my ipad, dolphin browser, email, music player, video player, gallery, calendar, realcalc, sound recorder, camera, alarm clock, contacts, webtv, ereader, infotm market, help online, system update, settings

maildrop

Mar 21, 2011
go to google search. type "android market apk download" to find a web site allowing you to download that apk file. then you place in the tablet through a flash drive. then you use astro application to install it. may be you need to download astro apk file first.

do more reading on the instructions on how to install a apk file.

datars

Mar 18, 2011
All I see is
Unknown Sources
Allow installation of non-Market application is check

fred

Mar 25, 2011
go to google search. type "android market apk download" to find a web site allowing you to download that apk file. then you place in the tablet through a flash drive. then you use astro application to install it. may be you need to download astro apk file first.

do more reading on the instructions on how to install a apk file.

Do I need to worry about the version of Android Market APK?
Do I need to worry about the version of Android Astro APK?
How do I get the APK to the tablet? If I insert a USB drive it doesn't see any files? Or will it only recognize APK or Linux files? The USB I just tested with only has some "windows" file types on it.
Thanks for the help so far... hopefully I can get something going on this tablet soon :)

UPDATE: I found the following... and have put them on the USB drive
Apps_Installer_0.2.1.apk
com.android.vending.prefroyo.apk
ASTRO_File_Manager_2.5.2.apk

Do I need to go get a microsd card for this tablet?
Thanks

Last edited:

maildrop

Mar 21, 2011
Fred,

You will need to do it this one eventually if you do have a Fly Touch 3. Do you truely have a Fly Touch 3?

Deposit Files

If yes, you will need a firmware upgrade anyway. Please download the above link's zip files.

Please then follow the following instructions. I copied it from other places.

"""""""To install the firmware, download the .zip on a PC from the link above. Extract the contents of the zip on a PC and copy the two files to the root directory of a formatted TF- Flash/micro sd flash memeory Card. Note* the root directory of the TF-card is the highest main directory location on the card, such as c:/ on a PC.

The two extracted files must be placed in the root directory of the TF-card. Insert the card in FlyTouch3's TF-card port and power on the tablet. The installation will be automatic after you powering on your FT3.

The screen will show black background and show it is in the progress to upgrade firmware. About 5 to 10 minutes, the firmware upgrade finished. FT3 will buzz and vibrate. You may want to wait another 5 minutes to make sure the machine actually finishes its own task.

Then you power it down and power it up again. This time another file do the firmware upgrade again by itself. This time it only takes about 2 to 5 minutes. I remembered it actually shown it finished the upgrade.

Important: Make sure to pull out your TF card/ Flash card out of FT3's card slot this time. Otherwise the process repeats again.

Please power it down and power it up again. This time you get a brand new image with everything you need including "Android Market". You get the same stuff like mine."""""""""""""""""""

Disclaimer: Two of us on this forum already did it without any issue. You took your own chance. Please follow the exact instructions. You will do fine. And we solve the issue.

Good luck. Please read my posts on "Fly Touch 2 with 512 MB experiences" thread if you are still unsure. Do you own study and Just do it. :)

Last edited:

dwcunpluged

Dec 25, 2010
A microSD card will definitely help you out. I am pretty sure a USB drive will work, but a microSD card would probably be a little more convenient (it doesn't stick out the side of the tablet.)

datars

Mar 18, 2011
I'm sign into Google and can’t download any app at all but I get this message "There are no Android phones associated with this account. Please sign in with a different account"

I need some help here

Thanks

dwcunpluged

Dec 25, 2010
I'm sign into Google and can’t download any app at all but I get this message "There are no Android phones associated with this account. Please sign in with a different account"

I need some help here

Thanks

There was actually an article about this type of thing on the XDA site or one similar. Basically what the market is trying to tell you is that your tab doesn't have android.hardware.telephony. The market is still set up to act like you are requesting from an Android phone. I think the Xoom is so far the only tab set up to access the market without this tid-bit. I will try to find the actual article and post a link to it so you can read for yourself. There is a way to fix it if you are a developer or just software inclined. The CommonsBlog — XOOM, Permissions, and the Android Market is where I found one solution, but it was written in reference to the Xoom. I will keep looking and see what else I can dig up. I am not saying this IS your problem, but it is a definite possibility.

maildrop

Mar 21, 2011
As the title suggests I am a noob in the tablet world. I've been using/working with windows pc's since DOS but I don't even own a "smart" phone so all this tablet, mobile OS etc is like Greek to me. I just purchased a Superpad 10.2" Tablet PC just to see if I might like the tablet experience; it has the following specs.

• OS: Android 2.1 Processor: FlyTouch ARM11 1Ghz RAM: 256MB DDR2
  • WiFi Enabled
  • Internal Hard Drive: 2GB Flash with 2 TF slots for expansion (supports MicroSD 32GB max)
  • Ports: 2 x USB 2.0, 2 x MicroSD Slots, Mini HDMI, DC Jack, 3.5mm Headphone/Line-Out, RJ45 Ethernet
  • Display: 10.2" TFT Touch Screen (1024 x 600 resolution)
Doesn't appear that this site has a forum specific to this tablet as it seems this unit is some type of clone made in China? So I guess any further posts will have to be in the generic forum. I read a number of posts and stickies prior to joining and a lot of them relate to "rooting" - obviously I am not yet ready to do that, but would it be of a benefit down the road?

My biggest concerns now are since I have NO experience with mobile OS, smart phones etc (other than playing with an Ipod touch for an hour or so) is how difficult to use might this tablet be? I am going to be able to use it in a windows like manner? Will I be able to upgrade to 2.2 or 2.3 of Android should I find 2.1 lacking in some features or functionality?

I probably will not ever see this (or any other unit, like a Xoom or Galaxy)as a replacement for my laptop but rather something else to use when traveling or in the recliner for checking email, googleing something, reading a book etc.

Any tips or suggestions on how to make this initial leap into the mobile world would be greatly appreciated. I don't normally join forums unless I can contribute to them, rather than just ask questions, but in this case I really have no choice as I know nothing and may never get the skill set where I can contribute positively.

Thanks and I look forward to any responses.

fred,

i just reread your prior post. you do not have a fly touch 3. you have a fly touch 2 which my instructions earlier did not apply to your tablet. there is another thread that dedicated to your device type. you can do rooting that way.

please ignore my suggestions earlier entirely.

Sent from Fly Touch 3 using Android Tablet Forum app

dwcunpluged

Dec 25, 2010
fred,

i just reread your prior post. you do not have a fly touch 3. you have a fly touch 2 which my instructions earlier did not apply to your tablet. there is another thread that dedicated to your device type. you can do rooting that way.

please ignore my suggestions earlier entirely.

Sent from Fly Touch 3 using Android Tablet Forum app

Even if it is a FTII most of the tools for one works for the other, for now. New firmware upgrades may change that in the future, but for now we can borrow techniques from the previous generation.

Sent from my Flytouch 2 Generation 2 using Android Tablet Forum App

Last edited:

fred

Mar 25, 2011
@ dwcunpluged & maildrop: Thanks for the replies. SO, I plugged in the usb drive and accessed & installed the Astro APK. VERY STRANGE (IMHO) that after doing so a BUNCH of new apps magically appeared on the desktop. I didn't install them, they just appeared. Ones like ES Task Manager, the Google Android Market, Skype and a few others. Anyway, I can now access the Google Android Market.

Some more questions if you don't mind. If I should start another thread just let me know...

Do I need to "root" this machine? If so, what would be the benefit of doing so?

Where do apps get installed? I can't find where the couple of apps I installed via Android Market have their files. I still have almost 510mb left of the 512 the machine came with so I doubt they got installed there? And I don't have any micro cards yet.

I am still unable to get the androidtablet.net app to install. I get a bunch of Chinese and a message that install failed. I got the Facebook app to install however.

If I sync with my AppBrain account and select install for the androidtable app I get the same thing.

There are a number of apps that show up as installed when I sync to AppBrain (some in Chinese) but I get an uninstall failed when I try to remove them as well.

It "appears" that moving an icon to the trash bin works like in windows... it just removes the "shortcut" from the desktop but doesn't delete the app? I've moved a couple to the trash but they keep showing up in Taskmanager as running and I have to kill them.

That should be enough additional questions... any more and I better start a new thread or do some more searching.

dwcunpluged

Dec 25, 2010
@ dwcunpluged & maildrop: Thanks for the replies. SO, I plugged in the usb drive and accessed & installed the Astro APK. VERY STRANGE (IMHO) that after doing so a BUNCH of new apps magically appeared on the desktop. I didn't install them, they just appeared. Ones like ES Task Manager, the Google Android Market, Skype and a few others. Anyway, I can now access the Google Android Market.
Astro is a great program. All of these programs were installed by the manufacturer most likely and were hidden. It is good you know they are there now.

Some more questions if you don't mind. If I should start another thread just let me know...

I actually had to get on my laptop to try and answer these, it would have taken me all day on my tablet :)

Do I need to "root" this machine? If so, what would be the benefit of doing so?

The short answer is NO, you do not NEED to root your tablet. There are pros and cons to doing so: You can remove factory apps if you root, but if you get "uninstall happy" you might remove a necessary file and possibly brick your tablet. If you plan to try and develop your own ROM or build apps there could be some benefit to rooting, but I don't think it is strictly necessary. Expanded answer: it just depends on what you want to do with your tablet and how confident you are in your abilities to manage the basic files.

Where do apps get installed? I can't find where the couple of apps I installed via Android Market have their files. I still have almost 510mb left of the 512 the machine came with so I doubt they got installed there? And I don't have any micro cards yet.

Look in the Astro file manager and go to the very highest directory it will look like a little envelope with a / behind it. Then select system, then app. The address bar should have the envelope/system/app. That is where it all gets stored. I bet you will find all of them there. A lot of these apps are very small because of the way Android works. One app "borrows" components from another app to work.

I am still unable to get the androidtablet.net app to install. I get a bunch of Chinese and a message that install failed. I got the Facebook app to install however.

If I sync with my AppBrain account and select install for the androidtable app I get the same thing.

There are a number of apps that show up as installed when I sync to AppBrain (some in Chinese) but I get an uninstall failed when I try to remove them as well.

It "appears" that moving an icon to the trash bin works like in windows... it just removes the "shortcut" from the desktop but doesn't delete the app? I've moved a couple to the trash but they keep showing up in Taskmanager as running and I have to kill them.

The Chinese language thing I am sure has something to do with the Pinyin Language app that is pre-installed. When I did the firmware update the stupid keyboard had Chinese characters on it, so I reinstalled the original keyboard and got rid of that one. I don't know why the forum app won't install, I didn't have that problem, so it would probably be best answered by one of the administrators. The inability to remove apps is a weird default for all unrooted android systems. I personally don't like that you pretty much have to root to get rid of them. I think there may be a way to do it without rooting, but I was going to root anyway so I went that route. There are several apps in the market that claim to remove factory bloatware, but I haven't tried any of them. If you want to try some and let everyone else know how that goes that would be good information.

As for the continuously running apps, did you install Android Task Killer? You can set it up to automatically kill apps that are not being used. I use the crap out of that app. Again that is because of the way Android operates, if you start an app it will only close if you force it to close. ATK is the way to go. (As a side note, that will also help add a little bit of battery life to your tablet.)

That should be enough additional questions... any more and I better start a new thread or do some more searching.

If you do start new threads that will make it easier for someone looking for a solution to the same problem to pick it out at a glance. Hope I was able to help a little.