Hi, I am so new I just hear about rooting today! Definitely have questions and more

grimrose

Oct 18, 2012
I am thinking about rooting my acer iconia a200, but first of all don't know what sites are right for it, second of all how do I avoid bricking my phone. Plus I want to know if I can resume playing sims if I do this, cause now that they updated it I can not play it and well not many other things are compatible with this tablet. So I'm assuming if it root it then I can do so much more, plus I like the fact that I control what is on it. Oh and one more thing can I delete the bs apps they installed on it once and for all.

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
Hi, Grimrose,

Welcome to AT Forums, cool that you are onsidering rooting your device. :)

I would suggest you do a lot of reading - of what rooting in general is, what advantages you get, the fact you might void a manufacturer warranty if you need to ship it back for service, etc. Not to scare you or anything, but it's got to be an informed decision.

Rooting allows you to have Administrative access, full access to all the system files; like being an Administrator account i na windows machine, only in Unix/Linux/Android, that account is called 'root'. You can use it to tweak the device, delete unwanted apps like you mentioned, etc.

There's different ways to do it, depending on which device and Android version you have. Google 'root Iconia A200' and you should find some interesting info; that's how I found the rooting method for my first tablet, the Le Pan TC970, even before I bought it. :)

Good luck, enjoy the ride - if you like tinkering, learning, getting more out of your device, this is the path for you. Cheers. :D

grimrose

Oct 18, 2012
I have done some research but im just scared i wont choose the right one for this acer and what program can i put on it without risking my tablet becoming a brick?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I have done some research but im just scared i wont choose the right one for this acer and what program can i put on it without risking my tablet becoming a brick?

It's good to be concerned as there are plenty of people who have indeed run into problems after rooting, even when they used a known working method.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I doubt rooting your device would fix your problems with sims, that's not really what rooting a device is for. Basically your device will be no different than it is now, other than you now have the ability to add and remove files from the device. So if sims doesn't work now, mos likely wont work after you root the device. Problems happen when users remove some files or apps they don't want or think they need yet the device really needs them. be careful what apps, and such you remove from your device, you can make it unbootable.

yann2

Jan 24, 2012

Good that you recognize the risk, Respect is Good. :)

I like to say you don't have to fear power tools and machinery in a shop, but you have to understand them, and always respect them. Being a root user, you can wipe out important files, like the other posters mentioned, and there's no hand holding to say ''Are you sure you want to do that?''

Getting the proper binaries for your device is crucial. I used /le Pan specific tools and ROMs for my LP1; used Touchpad specific tools, to install CyanogenMod 9 on it.

If you can find a version of CyanogenMod for your device, it would be wonderful - you not only get root, but a better operating system, as they really tuneand polish the base O.S. they used.

There should be an Acer forum here in AT, head there and look for info on the a200; read and ask questions, before you use any rooting tools or try to load CM or any other ROM.

Good luck. ;)

grimrose

Oct 18, 2012
vampirefo. said:
I doubt rooting your device would fix your problems with sims, that's not really what rooting a device is for. Basically your device will be no different than it is now, other than you now have the ability to add and remove files from the device. So if sims doesn't work now, mos likely wont work after you root the device. Problems happen when users remove some files or apps they don't want or think they need yet the device really needs them. be careful what apps, and such you remove from your device, you can make it unbootable.

Itz not the only reason i want to root......im not that simple minded, the sims thong was an after thought......what me want to do it is i heard there are apps unavailable to me plus i can get international market and it can better plus i can personalize it......oh and i wanted to delete the un-useful apps, u know like the sample ones they give u and so forth.....half the apps i have i would never use and it is taking memory from stuff i would, u know?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Itz not the only reason i want to root......im not that simple minded, the sims thong was an after thought......what me want to do it is i heard there are apps unavailable to me plus i can get international market and it can better plus i can personalize it......oh and i wanted to delete the un-useful apps, u know like the sample ones they give u and so forth.....half the apps i have i would never use and it is taking memory from stuff i would, u know?

I'm not trying to throw a wet blanket on your rooting idea, BUT, I do wonder what apps you "need" that would require rooting, (not saying there aren't any)? Being that you are in the US you already have lots of apps available that can't be used in some countries. Tons of personalization is available without rooting, Android is the KING in that area. As for deleting the stock apps, in the whole scheme of things it won't save much.

That last point can be important when the next upgrade or patch comes along too. There may be a few you can stop from running, as I have, and no root is required.

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011

OK, I must have misunderstood your post, anyway best of luck to you.