(How To) Installing/Using ClockworkMod, Rom manager, nandroid backup, custom kernels

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
You can also retry the restore fix but do the "repartion_boot" file first just to make sure the /boot area is all cleaned up. I'm not sure if the recovery images actually format it first or just overwrite which could be leaving crumbs behind causing some random issues.

johntee

Jan 30, 2011
Exactly. You can just tell customer support that the Nook had a problem and it reset itself after 8 reboots. After that it wouldn't let you re-register and after an over-night power-down it now hangs at the "Touch the future of reading" screen. They'll have to exchange it.

So it rebooted 8 times, all by itself?
icon12.gif
Or did I do the 8 reboots?

If by itself, how far did it get on each of the reboots ("Touch the future", or "n" logo, or the Color logo, or BN Introduction video)?

Is the "Touch the future" hang a red flag for them?

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
PS - Rico, there are a bunch of updated kernels from dalingrin that include touch screen sensitivity issues, etc. Even his Eclair kernels are updated.

Thought it would be worth mentioning to everyone that is using an OC kernel, it could be time to grab the new ones.
dalingrin said:
Major update:
-All kernels updated.
-Small increase in external speaker volume.
-Eclair now at feature parity with other kernels. (Touch screen responsiveness fix; easier to click buttons on edges of screen as well)
-Kernels are no longer overclocked by default This cuts down on the number of kernels I have to maintain. Also enables me to include overclockable kernels in CM7.(Kernels have to run stock by default)
-Few minor performance tweaks
-All kernels now CWM updates​

johntee

Jan 30, 2011
You can also retry the restore fix but do the "repartion_boot" file first just to make sure the /boot area is all cleaned up. I'm not sure if the recovery images actually format it first or just overwrite which could be leaving crumbs behind causing some random issues.

Where can I find the repartition_Boot file exactly? And at what step of the restore process would I do the repartition Boot?

(Update: I booted CWR from the SD to see if repartition_boot was one of the CWR options (I didn't see it there). When I had CWR reboot after taking the SD card out, it came up to the BN introductory video screen this time... It didn't hang at the "Touch the future" screen anymore... Does this make sense to anyone?)

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
PS - Rico, there are a bunch of updated kernels from dalingrin that include touch screen sensitivity issues, etc. Even his Eclair kernels are updated.

Thought it would be worth mentioning to everyone that is using an OC kernel, it could be time to grab the new ones.

Download them and post some links my friend.

Where can I find the repartition_Boot file exactly? And at what step of the restore process would I do the repartition Boot?

(Update: I booted CWR from the SD to see if repartition_boot was one of the CWR options (I didn't see it there). When I had CWR reboot after taking the SD card out, it came up to the BN introductory video screen this time... It didn't hang at the "Touch the future" screen anymore... Does this make sense to anyone?)

Sounds like you fixed or repaired your internal CWR installation. Reboot a few times to see if it holds, then go from there.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Download them and post some links my friend.

I don't think there are new links, he just updated the links in his OP @xda, but I didn't want to start a new thread just to say "Hey folks using an OC kernel, download the new one!" so I just added a post here. Come to think of it, not really sure how to herald the updates without making a new thread cause I don't know if everyone that uses the kernels consistently reads the How-to thread once they have already Done-It.

johntee

Jan 30, 2011
Sounds like you fixed or repaired your internal CWR installation. Reboot a few times to see if it holds, then go from there.

The CWR boot-up came from the SD card, not internal. (I had removed CWR as part of the reversion to stock.)
I'm letting it sit (power off) overnight to see if tomorrow's reboot is different.

Does it make any sense that it would be stuck at "Touch the future" screen, then a reboot into CWR from the SD card, then a reboot without an SD card, would allow it to proceed through a normal boot cycle again? What did the CWR external reboot change on the internal setup?

A2Nook

Feb 22, 2011
So it rebooted 8 times, all by itself?
icon12.gif
Or did I do the 8 reboots?

If by itself, how far did it get on each of the reboots ("Touch the future", or "n" logo, or the Color logo, or BN Introduction video)?

Is the "Touch the future" hang a red flag for them?

The Nook is setup so that if it has a problem where it won't fully boot, after the 8th reboot attempt in a row (performed by the user) it will reset itself back to factory settings. The user can't be held accountable for what happens after it attempts the factory reset (regardless of what the screen is showing) and so you can safely return it.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
The CWR boot-up came from the SD card, not internal. (I had removed CWR as part of the reversion to stock.)
I'm letting it sit (power off) overnight to see if tomorrow's reboot is different.

Does it make any sense that it would be stuck at "Touch the future" screen, then a reboot into CWR from the SD card, then a reboot without an SD card, would allow it to proceed through a normal boot cycle again? What did the CWR external reboot change on the internal setup?

Thought you said in your previous post, you removed the sd card then booted normally. Perhaps I misunderstood. My understanding of what and why we use CWR from SD card is to repair your corrupt internal CWR. Making it functional again so you can move on and flash either a stock rom, custom rom, or recover internal stock recovery images.

From my time working with the Nook Color I've learned that small problems have small solutions and big problems require a more invasive solutions. Since your problem is well, was your NC was getting stuck at start up after being off for awhile, and you could boot normally when you reboot out of CWR, to me the solution to your problem has to be small. To me, using the SD installed CWR & restoring back to stock is somewhat of a last restore for those who can not boot either into internal CWR, have wiped their internal mem, or can't boot at all.

Since it seems you have have used the SD card/CWR/factory restore method/fix, hopefully you are back to normal and can start from a clean slat.

johntee

Jan 30, 2011
Brought it into the BN store today, and after 10 minutes on phone with their Tech Support (who are so much better than the people customers talk to at 800-THE-BOOK), he realized that the device had never actually been deregistered on the back-end (their side). (I had bought the Nook from someone, and he had called and deregistered it and they had even deleted his BN account entirely, but it didn't stick in their database for some reason.)

Tech guy forced the deregistration, I tried again, and voila, it registered successfully.

I made a Nandroid backup, and now gonna try rooting from scratch... Thanks guys, for all your help and knowledge!!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Glad to hear you got that sorted. There is always that one silly reason for a problem out there that that nobody could ever guess. Things should be no problem now.

JMag

Feb 23, 2011
Ok so first of all great job with the work here rico, really impressive and in-depth review you got here.

Second, I'm pretty good with software and followed the instructions exactly, (including the manual reboot after successful flash of CWR,) but unfortunately still got stuck in the reboot to CWR loop that a lot of people seem to be running into. Has a pain-free solution been found to this besides wiping everything, because that's what I did last time just to be safe, but don't feel like doing it again. It would be great if I could just get to the homescreen somehow, but any type of reboot (manual, CWR, w or w/o SD card) just brings me back to CWR.

FYI, after the previous wipe I mentioned, I updated to 1.1 and thus used AutoNooter 3.0, then followed the instructions in this thread.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Ok so first of all great job with the work here rico, really impressive and in-depth review you got here.

Second, I'm pretty good with software and followed the instructions exactly, (including the manual reboot after successful flash of CWR,) but unfortunately still got stuck in the reboot to CWR loop that a lot of people seem to be running into. Has a pain-free solution been found to this besides wiping everything, because that's what I did last time just to be safe, but don't feel like doing it again. It would be great if I could just get to the homescreen somehow, but any type of reboot (manual, CWR, w or w/o SD card) just brings me back to CWR.

FYI, after the previous wipe I mentioned, I updated to 1.1 and thus used AutoNooter 3.0, then followed the instructions in this thread.

Getting stuck at "touch the furture" and boot looping into CWR are two different issues. Since you said you are boot looping into CWR, did you perform a backup in CWR? If this is your issues, just remove CWR. There is a CWR boot loop issue when you use autonooter 3.0 and use CWR to make a backup. This tutorial is more for those who want to go straight to custom roms. In this tutorial, it's best to go from 1.0.1, root with autonooter 2.1..., then flash a 1.1 ROM.

JMag

Feb 23, 2011
Getting stuck at "touch the furture" and boot looping into CWR are two different issues. Since you said you are boot looping into CWR, did you perform a backup in CWR? If this is your issues, just remove CWR. There is a CWR boot loop issue when you use autonooter 3.0 and use CWR to make a backup. This tutorial is more for those who want to go straight to custom roms. In this tutorial, it's best to go from 1.0.1, root with autonooter 2.1..., then flash a 1.1 ROM.

I know it's not exactly in line with this guide, but I actually had a nook already updated to 1.1, so I had to use autonooter 3. It rooted fine, but then after making a backup in CWR, (which was successful,) the "reboot system now" line (first option on main menu of CWR) will just reboot back to CWR again. Just seeing if anyone knew how to get out of it (I believe faceman had this problem as well).

Also a side question. If you use restore on CWR to the backup you made, do you have to make another backup or is that one you made originally still there? (I would assume it is the latter).

Thanks again

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I know it's not exactly in line with this guide, but I actually had a nook already updated to 1.1, so I had to use autonooter 3. It rooted fine, but then after making a backup in CWR, (which was successful,) the "reboot system now" line (first option on main menu of CWR) will just reboot back to CWR again. Just seeing if anyone knew how to get out of it (I believe faceman had this problem as well).

Also a side question. If you use restore on CWR to the backup you made, do you have to make another backup or is that one you made originally still there? (I would assume it is the latter).

Thanks again

1. Yes what you did is exactly the known issue people are having and what you want to avoid doing. For those who have NC's that came with 1.1 software, I'd suggest you either use the autonooter 3.0, install CWR and never do a backup or sideload an earlier software such as 1.0.0 or 1.0.1 to go back from your installed 1.1 and then use the older autonooter versions to root. Then you won't have any issues with CWR (besides the occasional lockup, which you can just turn your NC off and reboot).

2. If you used autonooter 3.0 and restore, you will still get stuck in a CWR boot loop. The only fix is you uninstall CWR and restore the stock recovery.

That being said, backups are keep on your SD card so you will having them forever or until you format the card. You can use then back and forth at any time.