(How To) Installing/Using ClockworkMod, Rom manager, nandroid backup, custom kernels

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
That did it. Thanks and YOU DA MAN! Or, the man sitting next to da man!

Ok good : ) Before u boot into recovery again go into rom manager and flash clockwork recovery again.

Sent from my Droid

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
lol, I did. :) that's why I asked if not seeing the recovery.img file was any concern, since I had used the 2 specific processes that were in the directions.
Since you said you usually would see one, and I didn't, I figured I'd ask... (Possibly because it said "Note:" it made it seem possibly important if it were missing...

Thank you for your help!! It updated to 1.1.0 fine, although I did just now experience a couple of freezes, and I just lost my main background page and icons. Only a greyed-out left-facing u-turn arrow button now, and the 6 softkeys on the bottom. Immediately prior to that the main page app icons disappeared and were replaced by 2 B&N book images. Then that disappeared and the greyed-out icons took its place, and the whole thing froze. No response to "n" button. It even ignored the graceful Power Off close request. I had to hold power button down longer to force a shut-down.

And just now got a "Sorry, Activity SoftKeys (in application SoftKeys) is not responding. grrr...

I am not on 1.1 so I don't know what's going on. Are u using zeam from the market? You can always restore a backup if u have one, if u r having problems.

Sent from my Droid

AshleyBDG

Jan 27, 2011
Ok I'm a little bit lost. When I follow those first couple of instructions there, about downloading the Rom manager and the CWR to my sd, am I supposed to do that from my pc, or right on my NC? I'm thinking pc, but when downloaded them both to my pc, it wouldn't let me open the Rom manager, so I'm sure I must be doing this wrong. I kinda need things spelled out for me, sorry. I am autonootered 1.0.1, and downloaded a ton of apps, and changed my wallpaper, that's about as far as I've gotten with figuring things out lol. Thanks so much.

Last edited:

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Ok I'm a little bit lost. When I follow those first couple of instructions there, about downloading the Rom manager and the CWR to my sd, am I supposed to do that from my pc, or right on my NC? I kinda need things spelled out for me, sorry. is there anyway I could get a simpler step by step for the beginning there? I am autonootered 1.0.1, and downloaded a ton of apps, and changed my wallpaper, that's about as far as I've gotten with figuring things out. Thanks so much.

DL from computer then copy to sdcard. Just make sure the apk file and zip file downloaded fully and are on root (main area of sdcard)

Go to nook color tools and make sure "allow non market apps" is selected

Download astro file manager from market. Find apk file for rom manager in astro. Click on it then select open app manager. Install rom manager. Then continue on with rest of instructions.

Sent from my Droid

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
lol, I did. :) that's why I asked if not seeing the recovery.img file was any concern, since I had used the 2 specific processes that were in the directions.
Since you said you usually would see one, and I didn't, I figured I'd ask... (Possibly because it said "Note:" it made it seem possibly important if it were missing...

Thank you for your help!! It updated to 1.1.0 fine, although I did just now experience a couple of freezes, and I just lost my main background page and icons. Only a greyed-out left-facing u-turn arrow button now, and the 6 softkeys on the bottom. Immediately prior to that the main page app icons disappeared and were replaced by 2 B&N book images. Then that disappeared and the greyed-out icons took its place, and the whole thing froze. No response to "n" button. It even ignored the graceful Power Off close request. I had to hold power button down longer to force a shut-down.

And just now got a "Sorry, Activity SoftKeys (in application SoftKeys) is not responding. grrr...

What are we missing here, last I read you were performing a full backup of your NC on 1.0.1. What did you do after that? What 1.1 did you install? ROM or 1.1 zip from b&n? How did you install it?

Nate Rules

Jan 14, 2011
This was so easy. And my NC is even more awesome now. Rico2001, you are awesome. I'm at 1100 Mhz with no problems so far.

newellj79

Jan 4, 2011
Some how while refreshing gmail it shut off my gps. Now my weather widget is not automatically finding my location. When i load maps it asks if i want to turn on gps, when i say yes, it takes me to the default nook color settings. I can't find the gps toggle in nook color tools either? Please help.

thankx

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
The NC doesn't have GPS...it was using your router to figure out your location (at my house in the boonies, doesn't work; at my work, the map puts a pin at the front door)

newellj79

Jan 4, 2011
The NC doesn't have GPS...it was using your router to figure out your location (at my house in the boonies, doesn't work; at my work, the map puts a pin at the front door)

thanx. i downloaded a gps toggle wideget from the market and was able to turn whatever it is back on with it. things seem to be working now.

newellj79

Jan 4, 2011
Another rookie question. Up to this point I have used a 4gig sdcard for everything. Would it be ok to just simply copy everything from the 4gig card to a 8gig card and start using it instead?

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Another rookie question. Up to this point I have used a 4gig sdcard for everything. Would it be ok to just simply copy everything from the 4gig card to a 8gig card and start using it instead?

Yea should be. Whats on there, backup files and downloads? If it doesn't work u can just put 4gig back in. It will be fine though.

Sent from my Droid

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011

From my own personal experience I went from a 1GB card (its what I had at the time) to a 8GB card...copied the files onto my pc, then copied them to the 8GB card and everything worked just fine.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Went from 8GB to 16GB, no issues. Just make sure your new sd card is formatted fat32, which is most likely default format for most all sd card, but it doesn't hurt to check. Mount your sd card to your pc, right click on the drive > properties > read file format: fat32. If all goo, copy all files from your sd to a folder on your pc, mount new sd, copy over files to new sd.

newellj79

Jan 4, 2011
Thanks for help with the card. Anybody else have a NC that only charges to 99%. Any ideas on why mine is?

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Thanks for help with the card. Anybody else have a NC that only charges to 99%. Any ideas on why mine is?

It's an android thing I believe and sometimes you can correct the devices accuracy by wiping the battery stats.
Boot to CWR > advance menu > wipe battery stats

IMAG0241.jpg