(How To) Installing/Using ClockworkMod, Rom manager, nandroid backup, custom kernels

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I've been reading alot on the xda site but there is so much info i get lost. Does anybody know if the 1.1ghz kernel rico posted at the beginning of this thread is the fastest one around? I've been running it for along time with no problems, i just want to keep up to date with the fastest one. You can never run to fast. Thanx.

sent from my rooted nook color

Its the fastest one I know of but who knows what will come out today! :)

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
QFT - I went to bed last night thinking I might take the plunge into updating my 1.0.0 to either 1.0.1 or playing with other options, and I find a Autonooter for 1.1.0 (maybe i'll reset to stock and then update to run this one) or maybe even others (Froyo or Honeycomb bootable sd's)... I just don't know.

What i DO know is that even after spending over 5 hours trying to fix a boot loop problem after I fudged up the rooting process... I am actually looking forward to playing with my Nook again. :)

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
QFT - I went to bed last night thinking I might take the plunge into updating my 1.0.0 to either 1.0.1 or playing with other options, and I find a Autonooter for 1.1.0 (maybe i'll reset to stock and then update to run this one) or maybe even others (Froyo or Honeycomb bootable sd's)... I just don't know.

What i DO know is that even after spending over 5 hours trying to fix a boot loop problem after I fudged up the rooting process... I am actually looking forward to playing with my Nook again. :)

Well the 'official' 1.1 autonooter came out earlier today, so dropping back to default and upgrading is now a viable option for you.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Yup, the NC is pretty indestructible, software wise. If it boots, its fixable, just have to find the right way to go about solving your issue.

Sent from my HTC Evo using Android Tablets Forum App

rbarrans

Feb 5, 2011
Everything went fine with ROM Manager and CWM and I was able to back up the system. Now the problem. Every I attempt to reboot the system, it reboots ClockworkMod. I have tried a restore of boot, I flashed quickie screener, anything to try and break the loop. Can anyone help?

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Everything went fine with ROM Manager and CWM and I was able to back up the system. Now the problem. Every I attempt to reboot the system, it reboots ClockworkMod. I have tried a restore of boot, I flashed quickie screener, anything to try and break the loop. Can anyone help?

Are u rebooting from the main recovery menu, tapping power button to go back? Are you absolutely sure you have a backup? After the backup was made how did you reboot the first time?

rbarrans

Feb 5, 2011
Are u rebooting from the main recovery menu, tapping power button to go back? Are you absolutely sure you have a backup? After the backup was made how did you reboot the first time?

I reboot from the screen...it continually sent me into a loop....I'm afraid I have made things worst. I put Nookie Froyo on an SD and then used the launch a zip file command. It worked, but no matter what I do to try and do a factory reset, I seem to be stuck with Froyo and I can't get back to where I started. It was all great right up to the point when I used CWM to do a back up. Yes, I do have the back up files. Just have no way to put them back on the Nook.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
I reboot from the screen...it continually sent me into a loop....I'm afraid I have made things worst. I put Nookie Froyo on an SD and then used the launch a zip file command. It worked, but no matter what I do to try and do a factory reset, I seem to be stuck with Froyo and I can't get back to where I started. It was all great right up to the point when I used CWM to do a back up. Yes, I do have the back up files. Just have no way to put them back on the Nook.

Ok try this. Hold power button down until it turns off. Or hold n and power button. Take sdcard out turn back on. If u were on autonooter before u tried froyo it should boot up. If it boots up normally them format your sdcard, get rid of froyo. Its not ready for prime time yet. Then make a new backup on clean sdcard. I gotta hit the hay but I will check back in am.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

rbarrans

Feb 5, 2011
Ok try this. Hold power button down until it turns off. Or hold n and power button. Take sdcard out turn back on. If u were on autonooter before u tried froyo it should boot up. If it boots up normally them format your sdcard, get rid of froyo. Its not ready for prime time yet. Then make a new backup on clean sdcard. I gotta hit the hay but I will check back in am.

No luck! The only way to even get it to turn off was to do something in CWM that caused it to freeze. Otherwise it would automatically reboot and then as soon as the N symbol shows up it disappears and the word ANDROID in green type appears on the top left of the screen followed by an immediate launch of CWM.

rbarrans

Feb 5, 2011
If all else fails u may have to bring back to stock and reroot. Here is the link Flash back to clean stock ROM - nookDevs

At this point that would have been a blessing! I kept trying this method but couldn't get it to reset. Don't know if because it immediately jumps to CWM that I was forced to try and stop it too early. I literally had to turn it on and the moment I saw it flicker start trying to interrupt or it would get to CWM before I could interrupt.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Ok, try this: reboot, as soon as you see the "Touch the Future of Reading" message press and HOLD power until he message goes away and KEEP holding for 4 seconds after then let go. That will turn the nook off.

Now you can power on as normal. I would suggest burning a new Froyo image to the sd, and try to boot that. If you can get the froyoSd to boot, go into adv and sideload clockwork, launch it and reflash the recovery, this will overwrite the boot area ne might correct your issue.

this post brought to you by AndroidTablets.net app

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Well, here's another way...

Go to this forum and get the bootable CWR image
[RECOVERY] Monster RootPack 0.5 / Clockwork Recovery 3.0.0.5 SD (Block 1.1 too!) - xda-developers

While you are on XDA, get the stock 1.0.1 zip from this thread
[RECOVERY][ZIP] Nook Color Restore to stock - xda-developers

Create your image on your SD card of the bootable CWR
When that is complete copy the 1.0.1 zip onto the sd card

Put the SD card in, and let the NC boot to it, it will look like your regular CWR screen

Go to mounts and storage in CWR and format /system and /data

After those are complete go back and Install zip from sd card

find your 1.0.1 stock image and install it

Now you will be set back to unrooted 1.0.1 and you can go about updating, rooting, installing CWR correctly, and grabbing your backup

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
At this point that would have been a blessing! I kept trying this method but couldn't get it to reset. Don't know if because it immediately jumps to CWM that I was forced to try and stop it too early. I literally had to turn it on and the moment I saw it flicker start trying to interrupt or it would get to CWM before I could interrupt.

Geez guys what are you telling this poor fellow :)

rbarrans, if you have CWR installed and can boot into it, you don't have much of a problem. To do a factory rest, you first must remove it to regain access to your stock recovery. Then you can do the factory reset following the tutorial you listed: Flash back to clean stock ROM - nookDevs

Use the first section of this thread to remove CWR: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-1-update-if-using-clockworkmod-recovery.html

rbarrans

Feb 5, 2011
Geez guys what are you telling this poor fellow :)

rbarrans, if you have CWR installed and can boot into it, you don't have much of a problem. To do a factory rest, you first must remove it to regain access to your stock recovery. Then you can do the factory reset following the tutorial you listed: Flash back to clean stock ROM - nookDevs

Use the first section of this thread to remove CWR: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-1-update-if-using-clockworkmod-recovery.html

I"m still sitting here looking at CWR as I have been afraid to keep going down a rabbit hole. Everything great until CWR took over and won't let me have my Nook back!! Do I understand that I simply remove CWR using one of those links above and it should give me control back?