(How To) Installing/Using ClockworkMod, Rom manager, nandroid backup, custom kernels

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
I managed to miss the important step after flashing CWM where I was supposed to have powered off/rebooted. I went straight to making a backup. When it finished, my nook now boots into CWM Recovery only. What can I do to fix this?

No big deal really, just need to have a bootable SD card and use any of the "remove CWR" zip files to remove CWR. This will allow you to boot normally, then just reflash CWR and do the power off/on step. :)

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
-Take out sd card
-Download the removecwr.zip file from HERE
-Copy the cwmr3.0.1 zip to sd card using a card reader
-Reinsert the sd card into NC
-Boot to CWM recovery
-install zip from sd card
-Pick cwmr3.0.1 zip
-press "yes" to install, remove CWM recovery and restore stock recovery
-once done reboot
-Reflash CWMR

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
-Take out sd card
-Boot to CWM recovery
-Pick cwmr3.0.1 zip
-once done reboot
-Reflash CWMR

What he said... sorry my answer was short, been jumping in and out of the forums lately - trying to get a lot of RL things taken care of.

Pupalei

Mar 21, 2011
-Take out sd card
-Boot to CWM recovery
-Pick cwmr3.0.1 zip
-once done reboot
-Reflash CWMR

OK, so I did the same thing. Forgot the reboot, rebooted into Clockwork 5-6 times before desperately finding this link.

I copied the removecwr.zip onto the sdcard (I didn't find a cwmr3.0.1.zip). I turned the nook off to insert the sdcard (habit). And....

It. won't. turn. on.

I mean nothing. No flashing light, no boot graphic, and certainly no clockwork recovery. It's like it's dead as a doornail. I charged it all night (and this morning the light was green) and it's no better. I've pushed and held every button combination I can think of.

ANY ideas?

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
OK, so I did the same thing. Forgot the reboot, rebooted into Clockwork 5-6 times before desperately finding this link.

I copied the removecwr.zip onto the sdcard (I didn't find a cwmr3.0.1.zip). I turned the nook off to insert the sdcard (habit). And....

It. won't. turn. on.

I mean nothing. No flashing light, no boot graphic, and certainly no clockwork recovery. It's like it's dead as a doornail. I charged it all night (and this morning the light was green) and it's no better. I've pushed and held every button combination I can think of.

ANY ideas?

Well since by coping a zip to your sd card doesn't do anything, you should have been fine. The file copied over is not an executable and can't do anything unless told to by CWMR. And it's not dead, if it charged its fine.

So I guess my questions are:
-First did you try taking out the sd card then powering up?
-What did you do to copy over the file?
-What was the staus of your NC before taking out the SD card?
-Anything weird on your sd card like autonooter files and such?
-Did you unmount the sd card if your NC was powered on?

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
not to worry, i've done whilst playing with Honeycomb - likely internal boot corruption - it might look dead but it isnt - here's a work around that was published here http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ll-clockwork-recovery-revert-stock-image.html

workflow
1) Create a bootable CWM SD card from the link - MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
2) Mount the SD card on your computer and copy the RecoveryFix.zip file to it - download the recovery file here - http://go.redirectingat.com/?id=162...ll-clockwork-recovery-revert-stock-image.html
3) Boot the Nook into CWM from the SD card.
4) Choose "install zip from sdcard"
5) Choose "choose zip from sdcard"
6) Browse to the RecoveryFix.zip and select it.
7) Choose "Yes - Install RecoveryFix.zip"

CWM should now work by booting and holding the N + Power buttons.[/quote]

It. won't. turn. on.

ANY ideas?

Last edited:

ceramicsaturn

Mar 22, 2011
Ok guys, I have a really stupid question. Maybe someone can help me out. I'm trying to overclock my already installed to internal memory HC 3.0. It says to put the unzipped files into the root directory folder on the SD card. This is a bit confusing to me, as there is no root directory folder for me on my SD card. What do I do at this point so that I can go on further?

Thanks!

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Ok guys, I have a really stupid question. Maybe someone can help me out. I'm trying to overclock my already installed to internal memory HC 3.0. It says to put the unzipped files into the root directory folder on the SD card. This is a bit confusing to me, as there is no root directory folder for me on my SD card. What do I do at this point so that I can go on further?

Thanks!
Which instructions are you following as I have never un-zipped the files for a oc kernal? These are Rico's instructions and there is nothing about un-zipping

The /root of the sd card just means copied to the sd not in a folder on the sd etc.

Copy the still-zipped oc kernal on to your sd. Reboot into recovery scroll down to >install zip from sd>choose zip>update-HC-dalingrin-OC-emmc-022511.zip>yes> install update-HC-dalingrin-OC-emmc-022511.zip Reboot. Bob's yer uncle...

ceramicsaturn

Mar 22, 2011
Which instructions are you following as I have never un-zipped the files for a oc kernal? These are Rico's instructions and there is nothing about un-zipping

The /root of the sd card just means copied to the sd not in a folder on the sd etc.

Copy the still-zipped oc kernal on to your sd. Reboot into recovery scroll down to >install zip from sd>choose zip>update-HC-dalingrin-OC-emmc-022511.zip>yes> install update-HC-dalingrin-OC-emmc-022511.zip Reboot. Bob's yer uncle...

Thank you! Told you it was a stupid question.

Care for one more? I can't find the Rom Manager app. (feel free to make fun of me) Where would that be located? Thanks again...

EDIT: Ok I'm dumb, it's an app... just trying to get it to install successfully. Thanks for dealing with a noob :p.

Last edited:

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Thank you! Told you it was a stupid question.

Care for one more? I can't find the Rom Manager app. (feel free to make fun of me) Where would that be located? Thanks again...

:DThere are no stupid questions, every question is a search for knowledge and there is nothing stupid about that.:D

I am woefully unfamiliar with HC so I don't know if it works but it should be in the market.

All of this assumes you have Clockwork Recovery installed. And as always do a back up first.:cool:

ceramicsaturn

Mar 22, 2011
^+1 for figuring that one out on your own. ;->

Haha, thanks. Ok, I'm trying to put clockwork recovery on there (since I didn't understand I needed to do that.. duuuhhrrrrrr). I downloaded the zip file, and put it on my SD card. I booted up Rom Manager, and hit Flash Clockworkmod recover. Then clicked Nook (old). However, it says 'An error occurred when attempting to run privileged commands!'.

Did I miss a step somewhere? Hopefully this is a slightly less embarrassing question :). Thanks!

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Did you try "Reboot into recovery" From the RomManager settings? Again forgive me I don't know a lot about HC.