(HOW TO) Uninstall Clockwork Recovery and revert to a stock image

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
it is booting up with the nookdevs boot screen again... flashing nook color animation, and it seems to be stuck here

Slow down... I'm not sure how far you have gone at this point. The CM7 animation takes a bit after a first load.....

jakestucker

Jun 2, 2011
i made the 3201 bootable cwr sd card, i put the nightly 86 on there and followed your last post, has the boot logo for cm7 changed from the skateboarding android with the "cyan" arrow circling around it?? it seems as if anything i try to flash at all fails every time. because no matter what i do, or what combination i do it in, i always every time get one of two end results. stuck on the n screen, or booting into the previous owners screwed up attempt at rooting/custom romming.

so im stressed to the max on trying to figure out what to do next, but i really need to start thinking, what could cause my nook to not accept any changes to the /boot /system or /data and start going backwards, because i have yet to have made any dents/changes in the way my nook is operating.

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
Did you do the wipe/factory reset and wipe the Davlik cache on the advanced menue? Install 86 first and then market?

Yes, the intro is different. I used to see Read Forever, then Android on the lower left before the skateboarder. Now I see a green strip across the screen first and then the skateboarder.

It is possible the prior owner messed with another folder that the CWR does not usually touch. I'll leave the experts to chime on on that.

Another thought.... You could wipe/factory reset, wipe Davlik cache , pull the card and reboot. At that point, you should not be able to boot into CM7. If you can, it mioght indicate where you are going with no card installed and no O/S.

I also read somewhere that you are not supposed to format/wipe the boot folder. I'm wondering if that is where they hide the duel boot option when the Nook has been modified for that. Not sure how you would resolve that.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Did you do the wipe/factory reset and wipe the Davlik cache on the advanced menue? Install 86 first and then market?

Yes, the intro is different. I used to see Read Forever, then Android on the lower left before the skateboarder. Now I see a green strip across the screen first and then the skateboarder.

It is possible the prior owner messed with another folder that the CWR does not usually touch. I'll leave the experts to chime on on that.

Another thought.... You could wipe/factory reset, wipe Davlik cache , pull the card and reboot. At that point, you should not be able to boot into CM7. If you can, it mioght indicate where you are going with no card installed and no O/S.

I also read somewhere that you are not supposed to format/wipe the boot folder. I'm wondering if that is where they hide the duel boot option when the Nook has been modified for that. Not sure how you would resolve that.

I think we ran through all of this before (in the previous couple of pages), including repartitioning and wiping and replacing boot. Some more information on where it boots other than getting stuck at the n is important. Jake what do you see when it doesn't get stuck at the n?

Getting stuck at the n is actually a good thing. Once you have run through all of the clearing I detailed before and you get stuck at the n, the last two steps are the 8 boots and the power + n. I think if you can get those whatever is stuck will be cleared.

JP

jakestucker

Jun 2, 2011
okay im going to follow those steps again jp, and try until i get the 8 reboots even if it takes all week. i did the power+n and it got me to the picture of a nook and says installation failed, with an ! on the nook, but another time when i only pressed them for about 5 seconds, it booted up to the actual stock "b&N nook color splash screen" but froze looping through that splash animation... it almost always gets stuck at the n. i maybe have gotten a black screen 3 or 4 times in the past week, as opposed to thousands of stuck n screens... and i think ive gotten the original owners stuff to boot maybe 10-15 times now, never once been able to reboot and it go straight back to that though, every time i reboot after gianing access to the original owners setup, it hangs on n screen. and very rarely i get the "gameboy color" style nookdevs nook color splash screen, and about half the time i get that, it freezes and loops halfway through its animation.
damaged partitions and corrupted boot sound very likely though... :/

jakestucker

Jun 2, 2011
and is adb/sdk easiest to setup and run on win7 or mac? cause ive got both, and i cannot get it to work on the pc im more of a mac user anyway and have been since i last used windows (xp) i found a simple gui sdk program thing i was thinking about using that.. but i dunno.

is the nook color run off of internal memory soldered to the board? or is it on a sd card like (i may be wrong here) the original nook? cause if it was couldnt i remove that card (assuming there was one) and put that in my sd adapter and modify it on the computer? though that would obviously be dangerous lol

jakestucker

Jun 2, 2011
does the nook color need to be plugged in while im doing the 8 forced reboots? and what exactly constitutes as "boot animation" because no matter how i do this, i ALWAYS get more than 1-3 seconds of the n screen

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Good info. Have you seen any of the original owner's stuff since running through all the wipe steps and the partition reformat? It sounds like the only things you are getting now are 1. stuck at the n, 2. a bank screen and 3. ???

Also do you know if ClockworkMod Recovery was installed internally (were yo ever able to boot into it without the card)?

As far as the memory, it is soldered to the board so that is a no go. I know Macs have a couple of tricks that need to be done when using adb but not sure what they are off the top of my head.

It would also be hepful if you tried to describe how you do the 8 boots. I know it is hard to get across in typing but it is one of those things like holding power+n the entire time instead of releasing them as you eventualy realized that might tip us off as to why you can't get it to work.

JP

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
1. Create a bootable CWR SD card using the newest CWR you can get to work if you don't have one (it sounds like you do already have one though).
2. Put this zip on the card repartition-boot-with-stock.zip
3. Put this zip on the card Stock 1.0.1
4. Power down insert Bootable CWR SD card, power up into CWR.
5. Wipe cache partition (continue if given errors)
6. Advanced>Wipe davlik chache (continue if errors given. If a freeze at this step hold the power button until nook powers down. Then power on right back into CWR and continue at next step).
7. Mounts and storage format system (if errors continue).
8. Mounts and storage format data (if errors continue).
9. Mounts and storage format boot (if errors contunie).
10. Apply update from sd card flash boot file zip.
11. Apply update from sd card flash Stock 1.0.1 zip
12. Unmount sd card, remove card and reboot.
13. You will probably get stuck at the n follow the 8 boot method here Flash back to clean stock ROM - nookDevs
14. Finally use the power + n button combo here NookColor UnRooting - nookDevs

This should knock everything out and get you back to clean stock.

JP

Have you done all of these steps in order before trying the 8 boot?

jakestucker

Jun 2, 2011
if i am able to actually boot into the original users setup stuff, what would i need to do to make the erase and deregister to work? and im sorry but i cannot figure out the 8 forced reboots. its either so easy im over thinking it or its not going to work.

jakestucker

Jun 2, 2011
is there software out there like clockworkmod recovery that maybe this guy used, and by me using clockworkmod recovery trying to format stuff, it isnt holding because i need to use whatever program the guy before me was using?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
if i am able to actually boot into the original users setup stuff, what would i need to do to make the erase and deregister to work? and im sorry but i cannot figure out the 8 forced reboots. its either so easy im over thinking it or its not going to work.

I am trying to get it so that you won't ever be able to boot to the original owner's OS again. As long as that is on there I don't know if we can get it to reset since it shouldn't be on there after all of these steps.