(HOW TO) Uninstall Clockwork Recovery and revert to a stock image

jakestucker

Jun 2, 2011
data and system had errors, but the boot format worked, but then it froze, should i restart back into clockwork and then go to the next step?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
data and system had errors, but the boot format worked, but then it froze, should i restart back into clockwork and then go to the next step?

Yes, try do follow the whole thing through. By the end hopefully you will be factory fresh. There is some redundency in the cleansing steps but that is just to be sure.

JP

jakestucker

Jun 2, 2011
im almost to the 8 reboots part.. but i dont know how to do it... or if in the middle of it... i dont know if ive done any of them correctly.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
That part is just trial and error you'll get the hang of it at some point.

jakestucker

Jun 2, 2011
i dont think im even gettin close to successful with the 8 force reboots, ive probably been doing this for like 45 minutes and nothing has happened yet.... :(

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Do your best to describe exactly how you try to do the boot interupt. Maybe we can see where you are missing it.

The other option if you are familiar with adb is listed under method 2.

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
Eureka! All is now well. I used CWR 3.2.0.0. I also installed nightly 86 and the market and then wiped/factory reset and also went and wiped the Davlik cache. No more hanging on the Davlik cache wipe with CWR 3.2.0.0. I rebooted and went through the initial setup. When I went to sign in with my Google account it stalled and finally told me it could not connect. Now it correctly gave me the option of choosing my home wifi and I had to input the password. Went through fine. No force closes at all. I can go into the CM settings and push the CPU to 925. I think the key on this was 2 issues. First, the old CWR may or may not have been wiping the Davlik cache. 2nd and most importantly, 86 comes with a new kernel. I think my original OC attempt left the OC kernel on and this was causing the FC on CM settings. All is well now. I have considered doing the OC but since all is working I may leave it as is. I also looked at the new nightlies up to 95 and don't really see any advantage for me at this point. Also, when I ran ROM Manager it told me there was already an update for CWR to 3.2.0.1. I mounted the SD card and then update the internal CWR. I did not download the whole image for the SD card as it works fine to upgrade. So my suggestion to Jack is to download the new CWR and flash the image to the SD card. (Start all over with the card.) Then put 86 and the market on the root directory of the card. Boot with it, install it, wipe/factory reset, clear Davlik cache, pull card and reboot.

One more thing. I went to the market, searched Rom Manager and updated the one that came with the nightly. I don't know if that matters, but I did it anyway. I might buy the premium version at some point if I think I might be doing more updates.

Last edited:

jakestucker

Jun 2, 2011
does when the nook was purchased have any affect on what will or wont work? i have the box and it says model is bnrv200, but as far as an update, no installations are taking hold, no resets are working, 8 reboots... i was never successful, the power and n fails every time. im using cwr 3.0.2.8 cannot find a working 3.2.0.0 all the ones i download get written to the sd card super fast, then when i open the sd card there is no uboot, or any of the files for booting from the sdcard... im wondering if i use the.. error log? or whatever inside cwr could i pull that off the sd card once ive ran it and email it to one of you guys and you can pull it open in rom manager and see what errors its finding?

jakestucker

Jun 2, 2011
wow wo weee whoa!!! king of the castle! lol something new! i noticed somewhere that the power+n thing is that you are supposed to press it for only like 5 seconds after the reboot, as opposed to what i had read about just pressing and holding till it asks you to reset... now im stuck on a more official barnes and noble load screen where it says nook color by barnes and noble, and then a cool "glimmer" of light passes across the words!... BUT it goes black right after that glimmer animation, then does it again, and its currently doing that right now on loop lol but thats a good sign right? something other than fails and nothing happening?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Patruns, good job!

jake, you are close. You might be having the same issue with the 8 boots. You only need to hold the power long enough to power down then let go and push it for a few seconds to power up.

I would still like to see you get the 8 boots to make sure everything is clear but you are so close you may now be able to flash another ROM as partuns did and have it stick.

JP

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
does when the nook was purchased have any affect on what will or wont work? i have the box and it says model is bnrv200, but as far as an update, no installations are taking hold, no resets are working, 8 reboots... i was never successful, the power and n fails every time. im using cwr 3.0.2.8 cannot find a working 3.2.0.0 all the ones i download get written to the sd card super fast, then when i open the sd card there is no uboot, or any of the files for booting from the sdcard... im wondering if i use the.. error log? or whatever inside cwr could i pull that off the sd card once ive ran it and email it to one of you guys and you can pull it open in rom manager and see what errors its finding?

You don't need the uboot file An updated uboot is part of nightly 86 and I think a couple of versions before it. You can get the newest version ( 3.2.0.1) here: http://www.techerrata.com/dl.php?path=15&file=1gb_clockwork-3.2.0.1-eyeballer.zip. You just need to uncompress the file, run winimage or whatever you used previously to write the image to the SD card, download the 86 nightly and the market .zip files and place them (uncompressed) in the root directory of the card and boot the Nook. Wipe/factory reset and then wipe Davlik (CWR does not freeze up on you anymore with this version) and then install the nightly and the market. Pull the card and reboot. You should be good at that point.

PS: I could never get that 8 boot to work. It would eventually boot me into the internal CWR which was not helping me.

jakestucker

Jun 2, 2011
i was referring to the uboot file that i see on the sd card whenever i write cwr to the sd card... there usually is a uboot file, and if there isnt one, the nook doesnt boot clockwork when i put the sd card in. but the link you gave me is taking a bit to write to sd card, and based off my experience with all the dif. cwr i have tried, taking a while is good sign.. when they write in like 2 seconds the sd card usually doesnt work.. are you referring to the gapps zip for market? or am i downloading just the market? and are you getting nightly 86 from cyanogen site? and why 86 as opposed to a stable build? ( i may answer my own questions by actually going to the site lol ) ill try this out and report back

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
i was referring to the uboot file that i see on the sd card whenever i write cwr to the sd card... there usually is a uboot file, and if there isnt one, the nook doesnt boot clockwork when i put the sd card in. but the link you gave me is taking a bit to write to sd card, and based off my experience with all the dif. cwr i have tried, taking a while is good sign.. when they write in like 2 seconds the sd card usually doesnt work.. are you referring to the gapps zip for market? or am i downloading just the market? and are you getting nightly 86 from cyanogen site? and why 86 as opposed to a stable build? ( i may answer my own questions by actually going to the site lol ) ill try this out and report back

The new CWR does write significantly faster as the author made it smaller. Not 2 seconds, but faster. The nightlies are here: CyanogenMod Mirror Network - Powered by TDRevolution

The change log is here: CyanogenMod nightlies changelog for Encore

I went to 86 because it includes new Nook Color bootloaders so that you don't have to find and load another if yours does not start with "Read Forever". It also includes an new kernel which I was sure was part of my problem due to an earlier attempt at installing the OC kernel. It also gets Bluetooth working if that interests you.

I used the market app found here: goo-inside.me - universal downloads

That seems to be the latest version of the market and it works fine for me.

Last edited:

jakestucker

Jun 2, 2011
it is booting up with the nookdevs boot screen again... flashing nook color animation, and it seems to be stuck here