[Howto] Install CWM, Custom ROM, Flash Player, and Market Fix for 1.1 based ROMs

fridge011

Mar 19, 2011
Yeah I didn't ask him what his build was. For some reason I assumed it was 3558. 4349 doesn't let you use clockwork mod but the stock recovery is better than it was.

MKITGO2

Apr 15, 2011
Yeah I didn't ask him what his build was. For some reason I assumed it was 3558. 4349 doesn't let you use clockwork mod but the stock recovery is better than it was.

Okay so that explains a bit. I am a 4349 build (it updated the other day) didn't realize it would cause an issue.

I downloaded the 3558 downgrader zip and installed it as update.zip, but am still freezing at the same point on the flash screen. "Booting Recovery Kernel image" I am guessing perhaps that it is not liking the "kernel" file (?) or doesn't like it.

Am I best to go through the Settings Menu and Factory Data Reset?

appreciate the help thus far.

fridge011

Mar 19, 2011
do you have nvflash set up yet? thats what you need. start by creating a folder called nvflash right next to the cwm folder in your computer, just to keep them together.
next dowload these files from the first link in thread- "nvflash_windows_20100500.zip" and ""nvflash_gtablet_2010110500.zip" and extract them into the new nvflash folder so theyre all in one folder.
just donwload the systemusb.zip from the link like it says, extract it, and double click down to the usb folder and put the whole folder into "nvflash" folder with the two already extracted nvflash zips.

then follow the directions and youll be done. once it boots up, restart the cwm install again. make sure you keep the nvflash folder, it will come in handy. here is the link for instructions

[STICKY][ROM] nvflash FULL restore, using bekit's original image (Instructions) - xda-developers

Last edited:

fridge011

Mar 19, 2011
sorry i forgot, i have a bunch of stuff going on at once. if you want to use your mac youre gonna have to install linux on it, and use the linux zips. i read about installing virtualbox to run linux, but i cant really help you with it being i dont have a mac. sorry

MKITGO2

Apr 15, 2011
no problem. I appreciate the help thus far. I will just run it off the work xp machine... probably simplest.

majorwest

Mar 27, 2011
Why do these instructions NOT include a step for repartitioning the device in preparation for Android Market? The XDA forum's version of these instructions recommends doing this prior to installing your choice of ROM to ensure the market works correctly. However, I was following this forum's instructions which does not include this step and have now installed Vegan. Is a re-partition of the device really necessary for Android market to work correctly? Do I have to start all over again? (Sigh!)

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
majorwest, my understanding is that the re-partition 2048/0 is recommended to avoid Force-Close (FC). There was not a clear understanding on this subject. Market fix requires different method, may be more than just one.

What I would normally do:

Option 1 - Stay put with a selected Rom:
1> Make sure that the tablet is at stock 3588 and it is working alright. No FC or error.
2> Copy the selected Update.zip and Recovery folder of a new Rom to the root directory of the internal SDCARD.
3> Power off, then hold Volume Up and Power buttons until a tiny message appears on the top right corner. The tablet will boot up and install the new Rom. This is considered to be a safe and preferred method.

Option 2 - Will test different Rom's for the fun of it:
1> Make sure that the tablet is at stock 3588 and it is working alright. No FC or error.
2> Install CWM v0.8
3> In CWM, perform nandroid backup and save it to your PC or external SDCARD2
4> In CWM, re-partition 2048/0
5> In CWM, apply Calkulin_Format.zip which will wipe cache and data. Then wipe Dalvik Cache.
6> In CWM, install the Rom of your choice, then the kernel of your choice (optional) or other supplement.
7> In CWM, reboot.
Later on, when you are ready to test another rom, just repeat step 3-7.
If you want to return to one of a previous Rom, do step 3 but select Restore to one of the previous back-up.

Summary: My experience with gtablet is very limited to a few experiences (some good, others not). Therefore, I practiced the nvflash procedure just in case. This procedure is like an insurance policy and saved me from lot of grief.

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Why do these instructions NOT include a step for repartitioning the device in preparation for Android Market? The XDA forum's version of these instructions recommends doing this prior to installing your choice of ROM to ensure the market works correctly. However, I was following this forum's instructions which does not include this step and have now installed Vegan. Is a re-partition of the device really necessary for Android market to work correctly? Do I have to start all over again? (Sigh!)

I did not include the steps to repartition because there is no reason to. I have flashed a dozen different ROMs have have never once had to repartition my device.

majorwest

Mar 27, 2011
Ok, thanks guys. That's good enough for me. The market seems to work fine from here. Don't really understand what the xda requirement is all about...seems us newbs are always getting bashed over the head for NOT reading the forums, and then when we do...well, lol...

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
XDA is for more advanced Users/Devs/Cooks in my eyes. I only go there for the new ROMs. Most users come here for information on day to day usage of their device.

I will never bash someone for being a noob. We were all there once.

MKITGO2

Apr 15, 2011
Thanks for the Help. Got the ClockWork mod fixed and Flashed G-Harmony... gonna try Vegan 5.1 next...

One more newbie question - Terminal Emulator - needed to perform the 2nd market fix.... where can it be downloaded? I have searched but no one points to it just reference it.

Does anyone have a good link?

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Search for Android Terminal Emulator, or use Jack Pavelich as your search parameter.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Tablet Forum

MKITGO2

Apr 15, 2011
Thanks Got it. Didn't think I would be able to pull from the Market... because until now it has been blocking me downloading just about anything.... yippee...