I may or may not be on the right track....follow up to previous thread

oman0123

Mar 24, 2011
I may have found my issue ive been having here....

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/17572-need-some-assistance.html

N
ow I guess what I need to figure out is what is the difference between emmc and sd card. I know emmc is internal storage, and sd is obviously externerl storage. Would this stop be from being able to install nightlies or test builds? I cant wrap my brain around the fact that I can install Phiremod 6.3 and CM 7.0.3 with ALMOST no issue but when I try to install Phiremod 7 test build or any CM nightly I cant do it.

Ive tried every way that I know wipes, no wipes, formatting, no formatting pretty much every combination I can do and I still cant get it to boot up and I noticed that with my kernal issue I was using the emmc and not the sd version.

Does the same apply to roms? If it does can anybody tell me whats the easiest/fastest way to get back on the right track?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
For the ROMs it doesn't matter if you are booting from eMMC or the SD but for the kernels it does. It sounds like you are trying this all from eMMC. If that is not correct please say so.

If you are trying nightlies you usually have to reinstall the appropriate kernel because updating to the newest nightly will replace the kernel you had. You should expect to have issues if you are trying out test builds or nightlies, as that is their nature.

oman0123

Mar 24, 2011
For the ROMs it doesn't matter if you are booting from eMMC or the SD but for the kernels it does. It sounds like you are trying this all from eMMC. If that is not correct please say so.

If you are trying nightlies you usually have to reinstall the appropriate kernel because updating to the newest nightly will replace the kernel you had. You should expect to have issues if you are trying out test builds or nightlies, as that is their nature.

Im in the same boat as i was before for the most part. I cant install any nightly or test build on this nook period. This is my process until installing it.

1)Download either Phiremod test 7 or ANY CM nightly
2) plug my data sdcard into my computer and transfer
3)boot into clockwork
4)Wipe pretty much everything (I also tried installing on top of the stable releases)
5)Install.

Also I know to expect issues but there HAS to be something im doing wrong that lets one nook install flawlessly and another nook that wont take on install any nightly or test build. If it didnt boot up they wouldnt leak the nightly. Its something on my end. I gotta figure it out lmao

Last edited:

moshe5368

Mar 13, 2011
I may be way off track here ( J P) but I download the cm7 and of Roms directly on my nook using Rom manager and install from there. Could the issue be transferring the files from the ccomputer? Just a thought as I have never had an issue.. just wipe the dalvic cache and flash.

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

oman0123

Mar 24, 2011
I may be way off track here ( J P) but I download the cm7 and of Roms directly on my nook using Rom manager and install from there. Could the issue be transferring the files from the ccomputer? Just a thought as I have never had an issue.. just wipe the dalvic cache and flash.

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

Tried it. I even let Rom Manager try to install which didnt work. I went into recovery myself and installing what RM downloaded to install manually. I usually just get "boot loops" into back into recovery. I then was ok....ill use CWM removal. then it hangs at the orginal nook loading screen

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Sure sounds like something is not right. If you can do it on one you sholud be able to do it on the other. My best guess is that you either have a corrupt boot file that for some reason doesn't play nice with the nightlies or you have a kernel that is sticking and allowing the nightlies to work.

I'd start with the kernel. Find a nightly and kernel combination that you know is working. Download both the nightly zip and the kernel zip. Clear everything as you have been. Flash the nighly ROM then flash the kernel. Unmount the SD card and remove. Then reboot.

oman0123

Mar 24, 2011
You saying that makes me think it could be a kernal issue OR a clockwork issue. I can't install any kernals. When I install an SD kernal it doesn't really install. When I install an emmc kernal the black screen of death happens and is stuck there until I power it down

Also if we can't figure something out I may go completely stock non rooted and start from scratch

Sent from my phiremod for Nook using Tapatalk

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yes I think you are on the right track about it being the kernel or clockwork. Since you are running eMMC it makes sense the SD kernel isn't working. So that means clockwork or a kernel issue is causing the black screen. But according to you it worked on one nook and not the other.

If you used a bootable clockwork and the same SD card in each Nook that shouldn't be the issue. If you are booting into a clockwork on the eMMC of each Nook it might be. You can try a fresh install of ClockworkMod Recovery from ROM Manager or by flashing a clean download of the newest Clockwork Recovery zip file from Recovery once you boot into it. Just insert an SD card with the zip file and flash it from the eMMC Recovery.

To be sure it isn't CWR you might want to flash it from ROM Manager and then reboot (you must boot into normal first) boot into recovery from ROM Manager and then flash the CWR zip file from the card. Once you have done that I would be fairly certain you aren't dealing with a clockwork issue.