Installing custom ROMs not working

zentsang

Apr 11, 2011
OK...So I must be missing something here with installing these ROMs to my 7024. And yes... I've looked at the Coby PDF for the official process as well.

Basically I download any of the custom ROMs ... unzip the contents to the root of my external SD Card (so it's not a single folder but rather multiple folders and files). I put the external SD card into the external SD slot of my 7024. Power-on the tablet holding the HOME+Power button until I see the words "Update System Activated" ... and then I get the error message "Can not find update image. Press Menu/Up to init ... blah blah blah." So I press Menu/Up and the recovery process kicks off with Making Partitions... shuts down ... and then reboots back to the default ROM (not a custom ROM). And of course it wipes everything out and I have to go through the whole process of calibrating the screen.

So it's doing a factory restore rather than looking to the external SD card for the update. So I guess the question is (and that is not stated in the Coby instructions) ... do I have to crack open the case and put the SD card in the "internal" SD slot on the motherboard ... or should this work in the "external" slot and I'm just missing something.

Oh ... and yes my tablet is rooted already. Thanks.

-ZenTsang

zentsang

Apr 11, 2011
Probably the bootloader is not compatible with your sdcard.
Try a different sd if you have one.

I'll have a fix for this problem in my next Alldro2 release

SOLVED - For anyone else... switching from my 8GB Class 4 microSD - to a - 2GB Class 2 microSD card solved the issue. I'm not sure if the capacity or the class made the difference, but it worked! Thanks!

-ZenTsang

steev

Developer
Sep 3, 2011
Have you found the cause? The problem is the size, format or brand?

I'm not really sure. The version of u-boot used in our tablets just doesn't seem to like certain sdcards.

The newer u-boot builds from the Heropad firmwares are supposed to have better compatibility, but that would force overclocking and I guess they only work on the 7024.

It could be the brand.
All my Sandisk cards work, haven't really tested anything else.

edit:
btw the fix is just an upgrade.img firmware that installs through the recovery

Last edited:

zentsang

Apr 11, 2011
I'm not really sure. The version of u-boot used in our tablets just doesn't seem to like certain sdcards.

The newer u-boot builds from the Heropad firmwares are supposed to have better compatibility, but that would force overclocking and I guess they only work on the 7024.

It could be the brand.
All my Sandisk cards work, haven't really tested anything else.

edit:
btw the fix is just an upgrade.img firmware that installs through the recovery

All I know is I just rooted and then installed the Tsunami-ROM on 4 of the Coby Kyros 7024's. I rooted mine and put Peppermint-ROM on it a while back, but just couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong with the new 4. Turns out it was literally a matter of switching from the "Kingston 8GB microSD HC Class 4" card down to a "Samsung 2GB microSD (non-HC) Class 2" card. So unfortunately your guess is as good as mine as to which factor(s) played a roll. I don't know if it was brand, class, size, HC versus non-HC or all 4 that caused it. All I know is the smaller/slower card worked when the bigger/faster card didn't. So that is 1 microSD card I will keep for sure in the event of similar issues in the future. =)

EDIT: Oh... and the 4 Coby's are Christmas presents for family so we can all Skype on them. Just completed several test variants with Skype. Coby to Coby, Coby to PC, Coby to Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet, and Coby to HTC EVO 4G. All worked fine. The only issue seems to be the Coby's front facing camera is sending a mirror image to the other side. So if I hold up a newspaper in front of the Coby, the recipients see backwards print. But I can live with that for now.

-ZenTsang

Last edited: