Is your GPS working?

Manshow

Apr 27, 2011
I know that with my Garmin GPS unit, if it hasn't been used in awhile, it takes time to locate satellites. The more you use it, the faster it locates. Don't know why. But maybe it's the same thing with the A500.

This is a good point. I remember that from my early handheld days. And my phone goes everywhere with me, so it knows alot more about where the sats should be.

Manshow

Apr 27, 2011
I am in my den with my Epic 4G and my A500, both running GPS Test. The Epic shows 10 satellites in view,the A500 shows 5. Wifi is disabled. On maps, the location with only GPS is about 50' - 80' off and improving the longer it is on. Additionally then, turning on wifi also improved the accuracy to about 10' - 20'. The A500 GPS appears to be about 1/2 as sensitive as my phone and takes MUCH longer to get an initial fix and accurate position. Also, the compass appears to be 90 degrees off. Facing due North, the compass points due East.

And BTW, this is exactly the scenario I'm experiencing, except more like 1/3 as sensitive as my Droid X. Yep, compass due East when I'm pointing north. Yesterday, at sunset, the A500 showed the sun to be directly BELOW me on Google Sky Maps. Even given that it needs more time to get more fixes, how could it be THAT far off?

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
Just tested mine. Also off, and sky map is worthless.

With some of these issues... not sure if a xoom would have been a better choice...

I can't even stream stuff from ABC.com ... definitely wondering if updates can fix, or if ipad would have been better. I can't believe I said that.

suade907

Apr 27, 2011
ok so I just retested mine I'm in my house doing all kinds of crazy stuff. I'd say my tab took 10 minutes to get a lock. It was inconsistant for a long while but now i finally have a lock, I'm debating on going out to the car to test it. It's getting late. I think it's working though.
did a navigation to the local store in the house, installed the voice pack for maps and routed it and boom lock up. Oh well maybe tomorrow. It's really wild to have a 10" gps of this resolution. I need a car adapter asap.

Last edited:

baldbear

Apr 28, 2011
For the compass to work your tablet needs to be held flat (like it's on a table), otherwise it's off by 90 degrees.(at least that's what I've found).

chili_red

Apr 27, 2011
I've gotten the compass to work a little bit, but it's also off by about 90 degrees, it does help keeping it flat though. Can't remember which phone it was awhile back "too many phones to remember" but it also had a problem with the compass and was fixed through a software update. Initially if you called tech support they would say it was a bad phone and to send it back but after awhile they finally admitted it was a software issue, which this is probably the case. It's a new product and will definitely have some bugs in it. Just hope they keep up with regular updates and don't drop the ball like Viewsonic did with the G-Tab.

I have been trying GPS Essentials from the market and the compass there seems to be the most accurate, will keep testing.

Seems to be getting better the more I use it, just tested with GPS Status and outside I'm getting 8 satellites in view, 5 in use, and 16.4' accuracy. Inside, middle of house away from windows I'm getting 6 in view, 3 in use, and 32.8' accuracy, which isn't bad at all, the compass always pointed north and oriented itself correctly while testing too.

Last edited:

JoeRnCT

Apr 28, 2011
Okay I shut off WiFi and walked around outside my house. Using GPS Status, I waited until I got a fix on some Sats. Then I opened up Maps and Navigation. In, what I would guess to be a 50 mile radius, everything was clear. Anything outside that radius was blurry. When I enabled WiFi, I could zoom in on any part of the country and the maps and text were clear. The Iconia did take a couple of minutes to get a fix on the Sats.. But like my Garmin GPS, the more you use it, the faster it finds the Satellites so hopefully if I ever bring this into my truck and need to use the maps, it'll lock onto the Sats. and not lose the signal.

fulaccer

May 1, 2011
Thank God someone else has the 90 degrees off problem besides me. I was feeling pretty alone there.

i also have the degree off but instead of 90 i have 45, i have tried everything calibrating, resetting but still nothing

SiliconJunkie

Apr 21, 2011
i also have the degree off but instead of 90 i have 45, i have tried everything calibrating, resetting but still nothing

Mine also seems to be out at least 90 degrees. Its as if the compass chip is not properly oriented on the motherboard or something.

Hopefully this can be fixed in software. I got this tablet because of the built in compass and GPS; and just my luck, both of these features are hosed.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Manshow

Apr 27, 2011
All I can say is that if this is a software issue, I can wait. But if it's hardware, that's a deal killer, and I'll have to take it back. Cannot have it off that far, and weak GPS reception at the same time. I hope solid information comes soon that it's software before my return date comes up.

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
Hi ALL,

It looks like I may be getting one this week, and it seems that some people are having no problems with the GPS while others are having a good deal of problems. In some cases those with problems have exchanged their units and the new one works.

Could someone please suggest an app that I could use to check out the GPS. I am TOTALLY new to any kind of Andriod or for that matter any kind of smart phone environment. While I know what GPS is (I actually worked on a proposal for the VERY original start of this program when it was called NAVSTAR - but that was a LONG time ago!!!) but I have no experience in seeing how it works in these types of environments.

Thanks,
Gerry

JoeRnCT

Apr 28, 2011
To checkout the GPS in action, Google Maps or Navigation will work. If you want something that'll show the number of satellites the tablet is locked onto, I use GPS Status. It also gives you compass heading and Lat. / Lon. coordinates.

pentool

May 1, 2011
It seems that GPS issues DOES indeed related to hardware.

My GPS was very week. It had a hard time finding my location. Tried it outdoors/indoors, wifi on/off. Walked around/stood still outdoors, etc. It was very slow either way and about 80% of the time it could not find my location (using Google Maps).

However, since I had an issue with the volume button which was very hard to press, I decided to exchange mine today. This new unit's GPS seems to work very well. It took about 10 seconds (longest around 18, fastest 5 seconds) to find my location on google maps, even when wifi is off. And this was INSIDE the house.

Manshow

Apr 27, 2011
OK, I'm going to exchange mine. GPS is unusable. I'll post later if the new one works better or not.

suade907

Apr 27, 2011
I'm gonna try mine tonight in the car but I'm pretty sure my GPS does not function without the wifi turned on. If others are saying theirs do I may return mine as well. Took me ten minutes to get a accurate lock the first time I'll see how long it takes now. But it took me a long time to get it setup the way I like so we'll see.