Kyros MID-7015 and 7005 Ultimate Guide Discussion Thread

sosozar

Jan 7, 2011
hi i am very new to this whole thing and down loaded z4 root onto my pc then put it on my coby but there is no way of opening it that i can see.
yes i have a sdcard and i can find the file on the coby but thats it
can you help me iam really new at this so in baby lingo please

boris2222

Jan 9, 2011
First I want to say thank you all for the great guide. I finished the step of backing up and asked it to reboot, but now the Kyros went completely blank and will not even start. Please help.
Thanks

cc993

Jan 8, 2011
Boris I had the same thing happen, try hitting the reset button on the back of the tablet.

judochop23

Jan 9, 2011
i am stuck on the ''Installing ClockworkMod Recovery to back up your Kyros.'' Every time i try to enter in a command in the command prompt it says '' is not recognized as an external or internal command, operable program or batch file. If any can HELP PLEASE DO lol im STUCK and Really want to get past this part.

joshakawow

Jan 9, 2011
I wanted to know if it would be possible for any of the user who have gotten these step to work could the make a YouTube Video show us the play by play since everyone is saying it so simple i have been at this for weeks now reading and re-reading rooting and re-rooting and im stuk and I dont wanna mess up the tablet by typing the wrong thing too many times and messing up something in the system so if anybody could PLEASE make a YouTube Video with the play by play i would greatly appreciate it.

sosozar

Jan 7, 2011
yes we wont a viedo it would help so much pleassssse
we hear you talk loud and clear but we don't wont to mess up our tables
if you show us we will watch and we will tell every one....

mkennedy

Jan 10, 2011
Guys a video has been uploaded to Youtube that walks through these steps. Please note that I'm not the uploader.

Last edited by a moderator:

secosteve

Dec 19, 2010
After rooting and installing Google, can the programs used to install them be deleted(ie.SuperUser). This tablet is for my child and I wouldn't want her to get into those programs and mess up the tablet. If the answer is yes, can someone please advise which programs can be deleted? Thanks.

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
Yes, you can delete or rename SuperUser.apk and su (in that order). You will no longer have root access on the device, but adb will still provide a root shell if needed.

TomCollier

Jan 13, 2011
OK Guys I am new here and have a major issue. I rooted my Android phone no problem but got my Coby Kyros 7015 yesterday. I did the root and followed all the instruction on the first post. But when I try to install the clockwork I enter all the commands and then the last reboot command. The tablet reboots but it goes into a black screen after showing coby and the boot information for maybe a second. nothing you can do but hit the reset button on the back to get it cleared.

I went in and tried to do a factory reset in the settings privacy area and when it tried to reset and reboot it went to black screen again. Again the reset button on the back will get it unlocked but no update or factory reset is done.

Then I tried to hold the back button and the power button to power on to get to recovery mode. I get the COBY for a second with the boot info and then back to the black screen. I followed the instructions very carefully and had no problem when I did my phone. Why the problems now? Any guesses and help would be great. As of right now I have no way to back up or recover my device.

Thank You
Tom

TomCollier

Jan 13, 2011
It does boot but only after I hit the reset button on the back of the unit.

$adb reboot recovery (ENTER) "$adb" is not recognized as a valid internal or external command, operable program or batch file

Unit68

Jan 13, 2011
hi,
I just ordered this tablet and had a few questions about the root.
1. the gapps-passion zip file, can the apps folder be edited to remove unwanted application and add additional ones? or would this possibly mess up the integrity?
2. i have an old cdma htc touch (vogue) and im running android 2.2, to remove apps installed by default on my device i use this code i found from a site in terminal emulator....

#su
#mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblk3 /system
#ls /system/app

#rm /system/app/<app-name>
#mount -o remount,ro /dev/mtdblock3 /system
#exit

for the most part i think these commands would work they just need some changes to where the partitions or files are stored....

any assistance would be great.
my device is in the mail cant wait to get it!! :)

billquinn1

Dec 16, 2010
It does boot but only after I hit the reset button on the back of the unit.

$adb reboot recovery (ENTER) "$adb" is not recognized as a valid internal or external command, operable program or batch file

The first post of this thread had instructions for getting adb setup on your computer. Unfortunately I know it is difficult but if you read through the rest of the thread you can get it to work. Adb is your friend.
Since it will boot, you should have some terminal emulator installed from the first steps of installing.
What do you get when you type:
$su [enter]
If it changes to:
#
then you have root.
If you have root, what happens with:
#reboot recovery [enter] typed exactly that way
If you wind up with the black screen again I would reload clockwork.
Get back to terminal:
$su
#mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak
#flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
#reboot recovery

Type all that exactly. Once in recovery make a nandroid backup then:
From ClockworkMod Recovery (use the default option and press menu button)
- reboot system now

Now lets see what you have.

secosteve

Dec 19, 2010
I have a question about loading ITunes on the Coby. I'm trying to load Waterslide Extreme onto the Kyros but it is asking me to load iTunes first. Does anyone have any input on this issue? Thanks