New and in need of a bit (maybe more than bit) of help

unb0und82

Jun 27, 2012
Hi all :) Newbie here, I have a Nook Color, and have had it for several months.. and heres where the bit of help is needed. My nook is rooted (hubby did it) and he pretty much took over the nook, removing all of my books, and installing every game imaginable on it, until he got a new phone and then magically, something happened to said nook and I was unable to even get past the home page when I turned it on unless he unlocked the nook for me. He's gone thank goodness, and I would like to have atleast my android market back on the nook. I did a restore, and my books are back, but even netflix is gone from it. The only way I can tell there is something still on the nook, is every once in a while, a black screen with orange and white text will come up and I click the reboot option when this happens and then it reboots back to my original nook homepage when it turns back on.... I've been reading articles on how to root a nook, and watching videos also, but have been scared I am going to serisously mess up something if I end up doing it again if it is currently rooted already.
Also, if this helps with my problem, I have noticed the software version on the nook is saying 1.2.0
Any help would be appreciated and sorry to have made my introduction into a plea for help.
:eek:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi unbOund, congratulations on your Nook Color and welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join us here at Android tablets. I'm moving your thread to the Nook Color Technical forum for you, so more people with that tablet can join the discussion and try to help you. Good luck!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi, and congrats on getting your Nook back. You really can't do anything to mess the Nook Color up so don't worry about making mistakes (just don't go dropping it in water or smashing it with a hammer ;))

So it pretty much sounds like your husband rooted the Nook and installed ClockWork Mod Recovery (CWR) which is the orange screen you sometimes see. From there you factory restored the Nook back to stock 1.2.0 but this leaves CWR on the Nook. This is good news and makes whatever else you want to do very easy. Now you just have to decide what you want to do.

a) You can flash a custom ROM to make your Nook a true tablet instead of a reader built on B&N's software. The most popular option is CM7 which is basically the Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) as Google intended it.

b) You can flash a rooted or non-rooted version of B&N's software onto your Nook. You would probably want to use 1.4.2 rooted if you choose this option since it gives you the latest B&N version and still allows access to Google Play Store and Amazon Appstore.

c) You can remove CWR and go back to a completely stock Nook just as it came from B&N (why oh why?)

d) You can do any of the above to run on the internal memory of the Nook plus create a bootable SD card that runs option a. This allows option a to be run entirely from the card just by inserting it and booting up or powering down and removing it to run whatever you decided to put on the internal memory of the device.

My recommendation is option a since it gives you a true Gingerbread tablet that is stable and in use by many others. Once you decide we can talk about what the next steps are (basically downloading the appropriate zip file, placing it on an SD card and using it to load the system of your choice onto the Nook).

JP

Last edited:

unb0und82

Jun 27, 2012
Hi JP :)
Thank you for the suggestions. I think the best route would be option a also. I do have a sd card in it right now, which has all of my books on it, but I have an extra also, which I think has all the stuff he installed on my repo'd nook.. I'm not completely computer illiterate but incase it isnt painfully obvious, I have zero knowledge when it comes to android- so please have patience with me....

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
No worries, this should be pretty easy. Download this http://get.cm/get/2Kf (CM7 ROM) and this http://tinyurl.com/6qln855 (Google Apps). Now copy these two files on to the Micro SD card for the Nook. Do not unzip them and do not put them inside any folders in the card (this is called the root directory).

Read the first two posts in this thread (particularly post 2) to get an idea of what you are about to do http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...m-manager-nandroid-backup-custom-kernels.html.

Once the two zip files are on the card and the card is in the Nook:

1. Starting with the Nook turned off, power on by pressing and holding the power button and n button at the same time. This should bring you into CWR.
2. Select wipe data/factory reset.
3. Select wipe cache partition.
4. Select Advanced then select wipe Dalvik cache.
5. Return to main menu by pressing power button.
6. Select install zip from sd card.
7. Choose the CM7 zip file first.
8. Select install zip from sd card again.
9. Choose the Google Apps zip file.
10. Select reboot from the main menu.

That should be it.

JP

unb0und82

Jun 27, 2012
"holding the power button and n button at the same time. This should bring you into CWR."
It's not coming up. I put the zips on the card, the card is in the nook, and the only thing that happens when I hold both is..nothing. Takes me back to the nook homepage until I shut it down again and try some more...

unb0und82

Jun 27, 2012
Should I empty the smaller card I am not using and put the zip files on it? Right now they are on the card I have my books on...

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
The card size shouldn't matter as long as there was enough room for the two zip files to begin with. Does the orange and black screen you sometimes see look like the one in the reference thread? Another option to try is when you boot into the Nook look for an app called ROM Manager, looks like this:
$CWM.png

If you have that in your apps you can open it and then select Reboot Recovery. Otherwise you just have play with the timing of the power and n button to boot to recovery. Try holding the n button then pressing the power button for 2-3 seconds (just until it starts powering on) but continue holding the n button which should hopefully enter recovery.

unb0und82

Jun 27, 2012
JP, the black screen is exactly the one from the other thread. I don't have the app you showed anywhere that I have noticed. I am trying again now to reboot again.

unb0und82

Jun 27, 2012
Okay, I have tried 6 ways to Sunday and another into Monday to get it to boot but it's not working, or I am not doing it right, which is the more likely explination. I opened the card that I know he rooted it (the one I have not put back into my nook)with and here are the contents..
$bootcard.jpg
How much work would it be to just remove everything, start from factory and pretend the first root never happened?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Okay, I have tried 6 ways to Sunday and another into Monday to get it to boot but it's not working, or I am not doing it right, which is the more likely explination. I opened the card that I know he rooted it (the one I have not put back into my nook)with and here are the contents..
View attachment 7058
How much work would it be to just remove everything, start from factory and pretend the first root never happened?

This is helpful but we don't need any of it :) Ok the easiest way is to start from scratch and pretend that you don't have CWR installed (since it is being difficult to access). It is just a little more work to setup a bootable recovery card. This is a good tutorial and has the files you need but I'll also list the steps Nook Color: Updated Clockwork Recovery Bootable SD*|*Maurice Mongeon.

1. Insert the card above into the powered on Nook. Go to Menu>Settings>Device Info>SD card and unmount the card. Then choose format.
2. Power the Nook down and then remove the card and put it into your PC.
3. Download and install win32diskimager (https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/0.5/0.5/+download/win32diskimager-binary.zip).
4. Download and install winrar (WinRAR download and support: Download).
5. Download CWR from the tutorial link above. Not sure what size your SD card is but you can download any file that is the same size or smaller than your card.
6. Use winrar to unpack the file from step 5.
7. Right click the win32diskimager .exe file you installed and select run as administrator (if that isn't an option just select run).
8. In win32diskimager select the drive that is your SD card and the file from step 6. above and burn the image.
9. Copy and paste the CM7 zip file and Google Apps zip file you previously downloaded onto the sd card.
10. Safely eject the sd card from the pc and insert it into a the powered down Nook.
11. Power up and you should boot into the CWR menu. Now you can proceed with the steps above for installing from CWR.

JP

unb0und82

Jun 27, 2012
Oh me! 1st thing- so sorry about me bein such a pain...
I have done all of the above steps exactly like it says to do it and then went back and did the CWR steps too, and rebooted....what now? It came back on and then to the same screen..and now its sittin on that top hat icon that I was hoping to find on it before...

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Oh me! 1st thing- so sorry about me bein such a pain...
I have done all of the above steps exactly like it says to do it and then went back and did the CWR steps too, and rebooted....what now? It came back on and then to the same screen..and now its sittin on that top hat icon that I was hoping to find on it before...

MY fault, I forgot the most important step! After you flash the CM7 and then the Gapps you need to unmount (from the menu) or power down (hold the power button until it turns off) and then remove the sd card. Then power back on.

As long as that SD card is inserted it will continue to boot to recovery. Sorry :eek: